Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2006, 02:36 PM   #1

I'm thinking of buying this '06 Boxster - what do you think?

2006 Boxster... brand-new at dealership. MSRP =$49,635... "year end sale" for $41,635... $8K off. Do you think this is a good deal given the time of year, color, options, etc.? Or do you think I could get more off?

http://fred-baker.porschedealer.com/new_cars/info.php?inventoryid=221898

Thanks for your responses!

Doug

FromMiata2Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:16 PM   #2

It seems like a good deal. I can't speak for the color or options - that's all up to you. Seems pretty decent.

There are a few people around that have recently bought a 2006 - maybe they'll chime in on discounts.

My only note is that it just seems such a shame to spend that much money and not get the "S" - or at least a 6 speed.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
bmussatti

That looks like a very good deal. That's 16.1% off MSRP. That's great.

I like the color combo too. You won't see many with that exterior color.

If you are interested in a new 2006 Boxster S I know of a great deal in Dayton. OH. Send me a PM if you want more info.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:14 PM   #4

I'd get the black one, haggle with them to take the 18" wheels off the Midnight blue one. Porsche screwed everyone when they took the Xenons out of preferred package in 05-06.

The black one won't be any harder to keep clean than the forest green (I've had midnight metallic blue, all the dark ones are equally hard to keep clean).

Then you'll have every desirable option a base Boxster can have, except PASM/6speed (which is pretty rare on a base). The options + the color will help you in the event you have to/want to sell.

Remember you're in the driver's seat at this time of the year for an 06 Box. The dealer should be accomodating. And if you're financing, the difference in payments for a couple of grand is minimal.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 05:57 AM   #5

The deal sounds good but keep few things in mind:

1. Look at color combos, analyze options and decide what YOU want. +/-$1k will do nothing for you during the years of ownership if you are not happy with what you got .

2. You are in the driver's seat as a 06 buyer right now and it only get's better all the way to next spring. So time is working for you and there's no need to rush into anything (unless you HAVE to drive this Sep and Oct before the top-down season ends in OH). You should be able to drive the green one off their lot on a blustery Dec 30 evening after writing a $39k check on the spot, imho.

3. Use the power of free markets to your advantage. This is America! After deciding what colors and options you want and comparing it with the inventory of the 14 dealers in the 150mi radius around you, make a priority list (top three choices) and prepare a "Request For Quotes" listing them. Then fax/email the request to the 14 sales managers. Discretely, in the request, make everyone aware that 13 others will be receiving it as well. It helps if you're paying cash and if you're serious about buying RIGHT NOW (state that). Also state in the request that the response with the lowest price for the closest item on your list will win your business. Then relax and enjoy the responses. You may be surprised... And SD987(S ) was right. Dealers can easily switch wheels on/off cars to match your wishes.

A small comment on the green Boxster. One thing that I personally don't like about it is the black top. The green goes great with the sand leather and the top should have been brown, as well. The silver accents already make the sand interior too busy (I prefer the black interior) -- add the green body, the silver wheels and side intakes and the black top and it ends up being too much, imho. But that's just me -- I got a triple-black, after all so I may be an extremist in a sense. I just liked how the black (paint, leather, top) matched the silver of the interior accents, wheels, side-vents, and roll-bars, and the white of the gauges (mine's S).

One final comment. Get an S if you can afford it. You may be able to get a basic 06 S (with heated seats and windstop, a must!) WELL below $50k this winter, depending on options.

Hope this helped.

Last edited by z12358; 08-26-2006 at 06:22 AM.
z12358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:35 AM   #6

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. Very good advice - and I truly appreciate it! I drove by there and took a look at the car and while the color combo with the top down is very handsome, it just didn't quite do it for me. I will, however, be following some of the advice in seeking something - perhaps later in the year.

Doug
FromMiata2Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 02:09 PM   #7

"Thank you, everyone, for your responses. Very good advice - and I truly appreciate it! I drove by there and took a look at the car and while the color combo with the top down is very handsome, it just didn't quite do it for me. I will, however, be following some of the advice in seeking something - perhaps later in the year."

Enjoy the process and good luck! Keep us posted.
Z.
Old 09-08-2006, 03:04 PM   #8

Well, i recently become a proud owner of a brand new 2005 Boxster. I was able to get $13,500 off MSRP. The car had only 140 miles when i picked it up so I thought it is a pretty sweet deal. Anyhow, if you don't mind getting a 2005, there's still some out there and will definitely save you another couple grand. I doubt the dealer will take this much off on a 2006 even if you wait til spring but who knows.....Anyhow, good luck on the search....
davezaristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:19 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to asnigro
I plan on starting my quest in the Chicago area this week. I will be looking for a 2006 Boxster or Boxster S, Silver (really, non-dark color or yellow, no offense of course!), and with a Tiptronic transmission. I hope they will basically be throwing the thing at me being this late in the season for a 2006.

I've seen non-S varieties for ~$53,000 and I would assume to at least be getting 15% off MSRP bringing that down to ~$45K. I believe invoice on this though is $40K for this range according to Kelly BB (after putting in all the extra options listed). I would have to assume this $40K is low though right? Especially if I was to offer say, $1K above invoice ($41K)? I guess we'll find out this week, wish me luck!
asnigro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 03:28 PM   #10

I bought my 2001 S from Napleton Porsche and can tell you, they have some serious sales incentives for their salesman and will generally do quite a bit to sell a car. If you're in the Chicago area make sure you check them out.
jferrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by asnigro
I plan on starting my quest in the Chicago area this week. I will be looking for a 2006 Boxster or Boxster S, Silver (really, non-dark color or yellow, no offense of course!), and with a Tiptronic transmission. I hope they will basically be throwing the thing at me being this late in the season for a 2006.

I've seen non-S varieties for ~$53,000 and I would assume to at least be getting 15% off MSRP bringing that down to ~$45K. I believe invoice on this though is $40K for this range according to Kelly BB (after putting in all the extra options listed). I would have to assume this $40K is low though right? Especially if I was to offer say, $1K above invoice ($41K)? I guess we'll find out this week, wish me luck!
Read my post from 8/27 in this thread. Throw as wide net as possible. You never know what you may catch. Good luck and let us know.

Z.