Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
2001 base

Garage
2001 Boxster base for sale blown engine

This is a 2001 Seal Metallic Grey Boxster base model 2.7l.
The engine is blown on this car, it is not drive-able. 105k miles

I bought the car in November 2014. The previous owner said he replaced the clutch and the front bearings, as well as the IMS bearing and gave me a receipt for a Pelican Parts replacement bearing rated for 40k miles, but it seems that bearing only lasted 30k mi. :ah:

Before the engine blew, everything worked fine. The convertible top was replaced with a glass window top before I bought it and the motor for the top worked. The grey leather seats are in good shape with no rips or tears.

The body is straight and clean with only about 3 dime sized dings no one will notice.

Upgraded 18" wheels, one has some curb rash but they look fine overall.
The spare tire is there.
The only repairs I had to do to it were valve rocker seal, spark plugs and oil.
This car is perfect for a home mechanic who wants to swap in a replacement engine.
Asking $4000 and open to offers
I'm located in Northern California so there's not much demand up here. Anyone with tips or advice is welcome.

Northern California
wannarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #2

Have you confirmed the cause of the motor blowing? Metal in the oil and oil filter?
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:26 PM   #3
2001 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Have you confirmed the cause of the motor blowing? Metal in the oil and oil filter?
Yes there is metal in the oil. Verified by my mechanic.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:42 PM   #4

That sucks! Its gonna be tough to sell this one, most people doing V8 conversions are looking for the S. You might get more $ for it if you part it out.
martsink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
B6T

I'd be interested in it, but you'd have to have it transported to Canada, eh.
B6T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:18 AM   #6

Hello,
Nice car. I'm sorry this happened, it is especially disappointing since the IMSB had been addressed. I buy cars like yours from time to time. If someone is in the neighborhood, you may get something close to your price, but I'd have to spend a $1000 to get it transported to central Illinois. Then, the cost of a replacement engine, then some for labor and after such an investment, I'd deserve some profit. Factoring all that in, I'd bid you $2500. No dickering back and forth. $2500 is the most I can pay.

Let me know,
Joe
Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:57 AM   #7

That's bad luck, especially since the ims was replaced. What was the replacement ims? Just curious.

I've had twin turbo rx7s that have a bad reputation for blown rotaries. Guys generally love the cars and replace them, or swap them.

Met a guy in Phoenix who had a Subaru turbo swap in his boxster s. Faster cheaper than a Porsche motor rebuild.
xzl6b1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:28 PM   #8
2001 base

Garage
thanks for the offer Joe. I will think about it. I have a guy in Portland talking about $3k. It's hard to part with it for that little, but I know I don't have the time to part out and send boxes to all corners of the Earth, plus the hassle of pulling etc.

xzl6b1 as for the IMS it was the Pelican M96 Intermediate Shaft Bearing. It's crazy to me that the company rates this bearing for 40k mi and suggests replacing it each time you do a clutch repair. I believe if you need to replace your clutch every 40k you may need to improve driving technique.
Northern California
Old 12-18-2015, 05:01 AM   #9

Thanks for the reply Chris. If the Portland deal falls through, send me a PM. At the risk of ending up with too many offers outstanding, I need to pull this offer back. It is most likely I'd make the offer again, but I can't just leave it out there indefinitely. Best wishes, Joe
Xcellr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #10
2001 base

Garage
**SOLD** Thanks for the replies - I got full price from a guy who can fix it in his garage. Perfect!

Northern California

Tags
986 , blown , dead , engine , roller