Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2015, 06:15 PM   #21
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
The car arrived this evening, as described and carefully packed with all the extras. Thanks to leftfield6 for his candor and communication during the sale, and patience with the hauler.
Now we have twins! (I would have had the hardtop on both for the pic, but it had started raining) :dance:

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:50 PM   #22

Great deal.
Old 07-12-2016, 01:41 PM   #23
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
A little followup, as I am always curious to hear how others turn out.
1) As we were closing up the details, leftfield6 almost backed out of the deal because he was concerned about an oil leak being worse than originally thought. I told him that I accepted the risk and would plan to replace the RMS (suspected source) in the near future.
The oil leak looked very minor when the car arrived and I decided to drive it and watch it, rather than immediately fix it.

Wiped and driven for 20 minutes:

2) He mentioned, "...if you aren't used to the front end, it will feel weird for few miles until you get used to it. Its not so much that it feels loose it's more that it feels like it wants to dart left or right." That turned out to be a loose nut, #21 on the rear suspension track rod:

3) The car came with all available space literally filled with great new and used parts: A new looking CDR-210 in a box in the frunk and a brand new CDR-220 installed. AOS, brakes, spark plugs and tubes, 18" Carrera wheels, front suspension, and more, all nicely packed.
It was a good driveable car with lots of improvements ready to be installed, but I suddenly found myself with less time for projects than I had expected. We drove it about 1,500 miles pretty much in the condition I had received it other than some minor fixes.
My wife claims it as her car. She decided that she wants it to be her DE car when we go to Hallett in August. So... I finally had to fix the oil leak and get a tech inspection done. I have no time for major projects. The shop agreed with my guess that its a RMS leak and also wanted to replace the front crank seal. Priced at bit under $1750 including the engine mount and a few other minor things.
Today they removed the transmission to replace the RMS, but it was dry. No leak!
The leak is the IMS seal.

First thing I thought was trailer it home and fix it myself it when I have time.
The shop presented 3 options: Replace the seal on the IMS -not recommended. $695 Roller bearing. $799 LN Engineering Ceramic double row bearing.
Wife overheard the conversation. Loves the car and gave me the look.
Me to the service manager: "Rick, we'll take the LN, just try to keep me under $4,000. Thanks."
It's a 1999 with 130K miles now and it's a keeper.
...Now I just need to get the rest of that m030 on the front before the DE.

Last edited by 78F350; 07-12-2016 at 07:00 PM. Reason: grammar
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote