Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2014, 05:56 PM   #1

WTB: 2000-2003 Boxster w <80K miles

Seeking a clean, gently used Boxster with manual transmission. Would prefer one with fewer than 70-80K miles, light color (white, silver, green, gray, red) and light colored interior (tan or gray). Would love to find a 1 or 2 owner car with some sort of records for how it has been maintained.

My budget is $10-11K cash, will travel to car to inspect, buy, and drive home to TX. Would like to get a nearby-to- car Porsche mechanic to inspect BEFORE travel and/or purchase.

Feel free to email or call/text my cell, 512.925.6902.

thanks for reading, you lucky Boxster owners!

Mike

mmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #2

Found my car!

Located a 2002 Boxster in a nearby community, found it on Craig's List. You may still be able to see listing here:

2002 Porsche Boxster Convertible

Seller was asking $11K. I took it on Thursday to a nearby Porsche mechanic (Eagle Racing) for a PPI. Took two hours but was well worth it. Took the printout to the owner and told him that car needed roughly $2K of work. (Exhaust manifold gasket, another exhaust leak near R rear; oil drips near both cam covers, front engine mount, 2 engine codes showing, and mis-matched tires. Alignment, too.)

Offered $8500 cash.

Owner called back two hours later and said okay, so I collected it on Friday. Drove it straight to State Farm office, got the insurance, then to the nearby tax office to transfer title. Next to nearby Discount Tire to replace the mis-matched rear tires, got two Michelin AS3s, $150 each plus balance, etc.

Just ordered front engine mount ($160), new remote & key ($200), and 4 new center caps for wheels ($220.)

Cost so far: $8500, plus $560 TTL, $430 tires, and $580 for parts. Up to $10,070; will likely drop another $1K at mechanic's shop next week.

I've put 150 miles on it already, and absolutely love it! Much cheaper than paying a professional for therapy!

As always, YMMV!
mmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:04 PM   #3

Update on this car.

I'm now up to just under $3500 in expenses, which include new Michelin AS3s, $1689 at the nearby shop to fix exhaust leaks, install new front motor mount, replace spark tubes/plugs, program new remote fob, replace purge valve, purge brake fluid, and cure two engine faults/codes. Also found and bought two replacement seats for $200 from Woody in Bastrop, will spend another $300 to get them refurbished and installed.

So, the $8500 Boxster is now at $12K.

IF you're seeking a 986, I will submit that it's far better to find a low mileage car and pay $11 to 13K, than to buy the higher mileage car as I did and then spend a chunk of change to bring it up to snuff.

BUT, I have to admit, driving this car has provided a lot of the FUN quota. Just wish I'd been more patient in my search.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:39 PM   #4

Mummurphy,you did everything right.I did about the same on my new to me 2000 S with 60,000 miles a couple of yeas ago.

I feel good that I know that my car is very tight and right because My indy showed the old parts to me and let me watch a lot of what he did.Because of this,I was OK with spending some thousands.I'm saving all receipts.Try to keep yours.

Better to have a good car than just a good price ,IMO!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #5

Another update on the 2002 Boxster. Was driving it last Friday when it seemed to almost run out of fuel under acceleration. It recovered, but then the engine began loping, even at idle. Check engine light came on.

Scheduled it with NW Imports in Austin for yesterday, took it in and waited while they diagnosed it. Took a bit, but turned out to be the AOS (air oil separator.) Picked it up this morning, tab was right at $869. (Previous owner had replaced the AOS in 2010, at 101K miles. This one failed right at 114K.) Hope I get more miles out of the new one than that!
Old 07-31-2014, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurphy View Post
Another update on the 2002 Boxster. Was driving it last Friday when it seemed to almost run out of fuel under acceleration. It recovered, but then the engine began loping, even at idle. Check engine light came on.

Scheduled it with NW Imports in Austin for yesterday, took it in and waited while they diagnosed it. Took a bit, but turned out to be the AOS (air oil separator.) Picked it up this morning, tab was right at $869. (Previous owner had replaced the AOS in 2010, at 101K miles. This one failed right at 114K.) Hope I get more miles out of the new one than that!
That might be an indication of a ovality issue. If you lose another AOS in short order
I would then get a leak down and compression check done.

BTW, that's a pretty hefty bill for an AOS -- the part is only about ~$100.

PM me offline and I'll hook you up with my mechanic.

Mike

seningen is offline   Reply With Quote