Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
Registered User
 
seningen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: austin
Posts: 730
What are they worth?

I've got two Boxsters in the family that will soon be up forsale.

First one is
2000 Base Tip Triple Black 135000 miles, IMSR (dual row), new WP
Plugs, Belts, WP, Low Temp Thermo done 10K miles ago.
Tranny was replaced at 125000 miles.
Brakes good, interior shows its age but has no tears. Call it a 7
Back window still good, but a little hardening at the fold points.
Paint is about a 6-7. Shines well, just some scratches, minor door dings
and chips.

Second is my daily driver. Replaced by Cayenne Twin Turbo.
2000 S 6 speed. 75K miles, but complete engine rebuild at 33K miles.
Lapis Blue, full TerraCotta Leather Interior. HID headlights.
Triple row IMSR. New bearings, clutch, belts, hoses, the works then.
Mechanically strong.
New Windshield, rear window. New wheel bearings, engine mount, tranny mount.
New CV bellows. New AOS. WP about 1yr old.
Just replaced weeping spark plug tubes.
Tires are ~1 yr old. Brakes are in great shape.
Paint is decent, some surface scratches, solid 7.
Interior is decent 7. Drivers bolster is wearing, but no tears.
Steering wheel has cracks in Carbon Fiber (but has been that way for 5 years).
Replacing the AC evaporator as I type.

I've seen prices all over the map.

Both are Texas cars, clean titles, well maintained.
__________________
Drivers: '08 Cayenne Turbo, 96 993 Çab/Tip (wife's) & '92 964 Cab
Race Cars: '75 911 RSR Clone & '99 Spec Boxster
mike@lonestarrpm.com
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,034
This is such a dangerous game, yet hopefully, nobody gets hurt (feelings)!

You base car will sell around mid $8's. Your S will do much better, given lower miles and IMS work (if documented). I'd figure mid$11's.

Best of luck and I hope you get whatever you feel is a fair price for your cars.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 4
it's tough to base a price off of just a few words, but...

first off, it's winter and you're trying to sell a convertible. expect less interest and more low-ball offers than in spring/summer. so patience will affect what you can get for it.

both estimates presume the car drives fine, you have paperwork to verify all of the repairs and upgrades listed, and that the shop doing the pre-purchase inspection recommends buying the car and found nothing majorly wrong that isn't listed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
First one is
2000 Base Tip Triple Black 135000 miles, IMSR (dual row), new WP
Plugs, Belts, WP, Low Temp Thermo done 10K miles ago.
Tranny was replaced at 125000 miles.
Brakes good, interior shows its age but has no tears. Call it a 7
Back window still good, but a little hardening at the fold points.
Paint is about a 6-7. Shines well, just some scratches, minor door dings
and chips.
you didn't mention whether or not the car is a manual or an automatic, but the manual transmissions should last longer than 125k unless they were abused, either through racing, negligence, or poor driving.

the mileage is fairly high. a used replacement motor would be ~$3k if one did the work himself, and for not much more, a lower mileage boxster could be found.

the struts and wear components of the suspension probably need replacing.

plus a good pre-purchase inspection is bound to find at least something minor wrong.

as such, I personally wouldn't pay more than $7,000 for it, but could see you getting more depending on your market/patience. dealership trade-in would likely be in the $5,500-6,000 range.



Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
Second is my daily driver. Replaced by Cayenne Twin Turbo.
2000 S 6 speed. 75K miles, but complete engine rebuild at 33K miles.
Lapis Blue, full TerraCotta Leather Interior. HID headlights.
Triple row IMSR. New bearings, clutch, belts, hoses, the works then.
Mechanically strong.
New Windshield, rear window. New wheel bearings, engine mount, tranny mount.
New CV bellows. New AOS. WP about 1yr old.
Just replaced weeping spark plug tubes.
Tires are ~1 yr old. Brakes are in great shape.
Paint is decent, some surface scratches, solid 7.
Interior is decent 7. Drivers bolster is wearing, but no tears.
Steering wheel has cracks in Carbon Fiber (but has been that way for 5 years).
Replacing the AC evaporator as I type.
I'm presuming the "Triple row IMSR" means LN Engineering's triple row intermediate shaft upgrade...?

other than the RMS, which I am presuming you replaced when the motor was rebuilt but forgot to mention, you seem to have fixed many of the common problems facing the boxster/M96.

dghii's estimate of $11,500 seems way too low for a documented S model. I'd estimate the car going for $15,000-16,000. dealership trade in would be stupid low as they have no idea and no interest in any of the repair work you have listed. expect $11,000-12,000.
JasonStern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Registered User
 
seningen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: austin
Posts: 730
Yes the first one is a Tip. Not sure why the tranny went -- but runs and drives great now. I was thinking 7500-8000.

The second is documented in pictures on my website. The triple row IMSR can actually be seen on the LN website -- I think mine was one of the first documented triple rows.
I sent Charles the picture for his IMS page.

I was thinking $12-13 -- $15-16 is just too high.

thanks,

Mike



Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStern View Post
it's tough to base a price off of just a few words, but...

first off, it's winter and you're trying to sell a convertible. expect less interest and more low-ball offers than in spring/summer. so patience will affect what you can get for it.

both estimates presume the car drives fine, you have paperwork to verify all of the repairs and upgrades listed, and that the shop doing the pre-purchase inspection recommends buying the car and found nothing majorly wrong that isn't listed.




you didn't mention whether or not the car is a manual or an automatic, but the manual transmissions should last longer than 125k unless they were abused, either through racing, negligence, or poor driving.

the mileage is fairly high. a used replacement motor would be ~$3k if one did the work himself, and for not much more, a lower mileage boxster could be found.

the struts and wear components of the suspension probably need replacing.

plus a good pre-purchase inspection is bound to find at least something minor wrong.

as such, I personally wouldn't pay more than $7,000 for it, but could see you getting more depending on your market/patience. dealership trade-in would likely be in the $5,500-6,000 range.





I'm presuming the "Triple row IMSR" means LN Engineering's triple row intermediate shaft upgrade...?

other than the RMS, which I am presuming you replaced when the motor was rebuilt but forgot to mention, you seem to have fixed many of the common problems facing the boxster/M96.

dghii's estimate of $11,500 seems way too low for a documented S model. I'd estimate the car going for $15,000-16,000. dealership trade in would be stupid low as they have no idea and no interest in any of the repair work you have listed. expect $11,000-12,000.
__________________
Drivers: '08 Cayenne Turbo, 96 993 Çab/Tip (wife's) & '92 964 Cab
Race Cars: '75 911 RSR Clone & '99 Spec Boxster
mike@lonestarrpm.com
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,034
My estimate for your base is based on my selling a 98 last year with 117k for $8200. The car was in good condition but not pristine. I have another just like it that will be for sale this spring. I expect a similar number.

My guesstimate for you S is just that, but based on the value of my 2000S with 105k miles that I figure is worth 10-11K.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 130
Don't mean to hijacknthread, but while we are having the discussion, I have an '01 base with 47k miles looking for 13k. Does that seem reasonable?
dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,034
Our local CL has an 01 S with 63K asking $13K from a private owner (red/tan 6sp)

Without knowing your particulars, I'd put you in the ~$11K area.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
Registered User
 
seningen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: austin
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Our local CL has an 01 S with 63K asking $13K from a private owner (red/tan 6sp)

Without knowing your particulars, I'd put you in the ~$11K area.
My 00 S with the IMS replacement sold for $13k.

Mike
__________________
Drivers: '08 Cayenne Turbo, 96 993 Çab/Tip (wife's) & '92 964 Cab
Race Cars: '75 911 RSR Clone & '99 Spec Boxster
mike@lonestarrpm.com
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Warsaw, IN
Posts: 8
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
My 00 S with the IMS replacement sold for $13k.

Mike
And the buyer is happier than a pig in ****************.
Fhelfrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #10
Autobahn Glanz
 
WhipE350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1,282
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhelfrich View Post
And the buyer is happier than a pig in ****************.
You can say that again. All those repairs or preventative maintenance done at OPs expense and the buyer won't have to touch a thing.

Maybe I'll just send mine to my Mom's in NY so I have it to drivie on vacations. Doesn't seem worth selling.
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page