986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted (http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-cayman-cars-sale-wanted/)
-   -   What are they worth? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxsters-cayman-cars-sale-wanted/43151-what-they-worth.html)

seningen 02-12-2013 10:47 AM

What are they worth?

I've got two Boxsters in the family that will soon be up forsale.

First one is
2000 Base Tip Triple Black 135000 miles, IMSR (dual row), new WP
Plugs, Belts, WP, Low Temp Thermo done 10K miles ago.
Tranny was replaced at 125000 miles.
Brakes good, interior shows its age but has no tears. Call it a 7
Back window still good, but a little hardening at the fold points.
Paint is about a 6-7. Shines well, just some scratches, minor door dings
and chips.

Second is my daily driver. Replaced by Cayenne Twin Turbo.
2000 S 6 speed. 75K miles, but complete engine rebuild at 33K miles.
Lapis Blue, full TerraCotta Leather Interior. HID headlights.
Triple row IMSR. New bearings, clutch, belts, hoses, the works then.
Mechanically strong.
New Windshield, rear window. New wheel bearings, engine mount, tranny mount.
New CV bellows. New AOS. WP about 1yr old.
Just replaced weeping spark plug tubes.
Tires are ~1 yr old. Brakes are in great shape.
Paint is decent, some surface scratches, solid 7.
Interior is decent 7. Drivers bolster is wearing, but no tears.
Steering wheel has cracks in Carbon Fiber (but has been that way for 5 years).
Replacing the AC evaporator as I type.

I've seen prices all over the map.

Both are Texas cars, clean titles, well maintained.

dghii 02-13-2013 07:27 AM

This is such a dangerous game, yet hopefully, nobody gets hurt (feelings)!

You base car will sell around mid $8's. Your S will do much better, given lower miles and IMS work (if documented). I'd figure mid$11's.

Best of luck and I hope you get whatever you feel is a fair price for your cars.

JasonStern 02-13-2013 09:46 AM

it's tough to base a price off of just a few words, but...

first off, it's winter and you're trying to sell a convertible. expect less interest and more low-ball offers than in spring/summer. so patience will affect what you can get for it.

both estimates presume the car drives fine, you have paperwork to verify all of the repairs and upgrades listed, and that the shop doing the pre-purchase inspection recommends buying the car and found nothing majorly wrong that isn't listed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seningen (Post 327276)
First one is
2000 Base Tip Triple Black 135000 miles, IMSR (dual row), new WP
Plugs, Belts, WP, Low Temp Thermo done 10K miles ago.
Tranny was replaced at 125000 miles.
Brakes good, interior shows its age but has no tears. Call it a 7
Back window still good, but a little hardening at the fold points.
Paint is about a 6-7. Shines well, just some scratches, minor door dings
and chips.

you didn't mention whether or not the car is a manual or an automatic, but the manual transmissions should last longer than 125k unless they were abused, either through racing, negligence, or poor driving.

the mileage is fairly high. a used replacement motor would be ~$3k if one did the work himself, and for not much more, a lower mileage boxster could be found.

the struts and wear components of the suspension probably need replacing.

plus a good pre-purchase inspection is bound to find at least something minor wrong.

as such, I personally wouldn't pay more than $7,000 for it, but could see you getting more depending on your market/patience. dealership trade-in would likely be in the $5,500-6,000 range.

Quote:

Originally Posted by seningen (Post 327276)
Second is my daily driver. Replaced by Cayenne Twin Turbo.
2000 S 6 speed. 75K miles, but complete engine rebuild at 33K miles.
Lapis Blue, full TerraCotta Leather Interior. HID headlights.
Triple row IMSR. New bearings, clutch, belts, hoses, the works then.
Mechanically strong.
New Windshield, rear window. New wheel bearings, engine mount, tranny mount.
New CV bellows. New AOS. WP about 1yr old.
Just replaced weeping spark plug tubes.
Tires are ~1 yr old. Brakes are in great shape.
Paint is decent, some surface scratches, solid 7.
Interior is decent 7. Drivers bolster is wearing, but no tears.
Steering wheel has cracks in Carbon Fiber (but has been that way for 5 years).
Replacing the AC evaporator as I type.

I'm presuming the "Triple row IMSR" means LN Engineering's triple row intermediate shaft upgrade...?

other than the RMS, which I am presuming you replaced when the motor was rebuilt but forgot to mention, you seem to have fixed many of the common problems facing the boxster/M96.

dghii's estimate of $11,500 seems way too low for a documented S model. I'd estimate the car going for $15,000-16,000. dealership trade in would be stupid low as they have no idea and no interest in any of the repair work you have listed. expect $11,000-12,000.

seningen 02-13-2013 08:21 PM

Yes the first one is a Tip. Not sure why the tranny went -- but runs and drives great now. I was thinking 7500-8000.

The second is documented in pictures on my website. The triple row IMSR can actually be seen on the LN website -- I think mine was one of the first documented triple rows.
I sent Charles the picture for his IMS page.

I was thinking $12-13 -- $15-16 is just too high.

thanks,

Mike

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonStern (Post 327404)
it's tough to base a price off of just a few words, but...

first off, it's winter and you're trying to sell a convertible. expect less interest and more low-ball offers than in spring/summer. so patience will affect what you can get for it.

both estimates presume the car drives fine, you have paperwork to verify all of the repairs and upgrades listed, and that the shop doing the pre-purchase inspection recommends buying the car and found nothing majorly wrong that isn't listed.

you didn't mention whether or not the car is a manual or an automatic, but the manual transmissions should last longer than 125k unless they were abused, either through racing, negligence, or poor driving.

the mileage is fairly high. a used replacement motor would be ~$3k if one did the work himself, and for not much more, a lower mileage boxster could be found.

the struts and wear components of the suspension probably need replacing.

plus a good pre-purchase inspection is bound to find at least something minor wrong.

as such, I personally wouldn't pay more than $7,000 for it, but could see you getting more depending on your market/patience. dealership trade-in would likely be in the $5,500-6,000 range.

I'm presuming the "Triple row IMSR" means LN Engineering's triple row intermediate shaft upgrade...?

other than the RMS, which I am presuming you replaced when the motor was rebuilt but forgot to mention, you seem to have fixed many of the common problems facing the boxster/M96.

dghii's estimate of $11,500 seems way too low for a documented S model. I'd estimate the car going for $15,000-16,000. dealership trade in would be stupid low as they have no idea and no interest in any of the repair work you have listed. expect $11,000-12,000.

dghii 02-14-2013 08:26 AM

My estimate for your base is based on my selling a 98 last year with 117k for $8200. The car was in good condition but not pristine. I have another just like it that will be for sale this spring. I expect a similar number.

My guesstimate for you S is just that, but based on the value of my 2000S with 105k miles that I figure is worth 10-11K.

dennis 04-03-2013 06:13 AM

Don't mean to hijacknthread, but while we are having the discussion, I have an '01 base with 47k miles looking for 13k. Does that seem reasonable?

dghii 04-03-2013 10:53 AM

Our local CL has an 01 S with 63K asking $13K from a private owner (red/tan 6sp)

Without knowing your particulars, I'd put you in the ~$11K area.

seningen 04-06-2013 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dghii (Post 334983)
Our local CL has an 01 S with 63K asking $13K from a private owner (red/tan 6sp)

Without knowing your particulars, I'd put you in the ~$11K area.

My 00 S with the IMS replacement sold for $13k.

Mike

Fhelfrich 04-14-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seningen (Post 335501)
My 00 S with the IMS replacement sold for $13k.

Mike

And the buyer is happier than a pig in ****************.

WhipE350 04-14-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fhelfrich (Post 337294)
And the buyer is happier than a pig in ****************.

You can say that again. All those repairs or preventative maintenance done at OPs expense and the buyer won't have to touch a thing.

Maybe I'll just send mine to my Mom's in NY so I have it to drivie on vacations. Doesn't seem worth selling.