Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2022, 02:11 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 47
Fresh air driver vent

Have a 986 endurance race car and really struggle with how hot it gets in the cockpit. Anyone come up with a good solution for a fresh air vent for the driver? In my miatas I use a naca duct in the front side window which blows a tremendous amount of air on the driver and really helps a lot.

subieworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:37 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
Have a 986 endurance race car and really struggle with how hot it gets in the cockpit. Anyone come up with a good solution for a fresh air vent for the driver? In my miatas I use a naca duct in the front side window which blows a tremendous amount of air on the driver and really helps a lot.
1. Roll down windows

2. Top down

3. Bags of ice on groin area

4. Donna D'Errico in the passenger seat

5. Fashion NACA ducts to the ragtop

Not necessarily in that order.

__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:27 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 3,212
Garage
Have you looked at ducting it from under the dash? I have no idea how your interior is configured, but there are two decent sources from just below the windshield to flow air:
__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 06:38 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: 92262
Posts: 2,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Have you looked at ducting it from under the dash? I have no idea how your interior is configured, but there are two decent sources from just below the windshield to flow air:
That's a great idea. I've pulled the center... the foam repair job... and am thinking you could remove the guts... the flaps... cut a hole or two in the hood, and ram-air it. It seems that could give a nice breeze, when moving. Likewise pulling the cabin filter and ducting it to a ram-air on the hood.

__________________
1998 Porsche Boxster
1986 BMW 325es
2012 Ford Edge Sport
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:47 PM   #5
Registered User
 
rastta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cowtown CA
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
That's a great idea. I've pulled the center... the foam repair job... and am thinking you could remove the guts... the flaps... cut a hole or two in the hood, and ram-air it. It seems that could give a nice breeze, when moving. Likewise pulling the cabin filter and ducting it to a ram-air on the hood.

I put two vents in my Boxster with hoses to the interior from those vents. You don't need to do any scoops - the air gets sucked in well enough. It uses 3 in hose. The ducts were from here and required no modifications other than to drill the holes in the factory screw locations.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3623





rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:49 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 47
Very nice! Are those holes cut in your hood I see as well?
subieworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:20 AM   #7
Registered User
 
rastta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cowtown CA
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
Very nice! Are those holes cut in your hood I see as well?
Well yes and no. The hole is for the air jack feed that is right in front of the vent. There are no holes for the vent. It functions as the feed of the heating and air system would - air gets suck under the hood and into the cabin. It's amazingly functional. I was thinking of adding inline fans at first - but they are unnecessary.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:27 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Lemming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: B'ham, AL
Posts: 260
I used a similar setup in my 944 race cars, the cowl induction is fantastic, lots of air. Just remember to cover it when it's raining!

Just as an FYI, that modification is not allowed in PCA SPB racing. I wanted to do the mod when I built may car and had a long discussion with Walt F. at PCA. Below is part of an email response to me.

"Tim - none of my rules committee colleagues are in favor of allowing any openings in this cowl/battery tray area to be used for cabin ventilation if the stock components are removed. I don't doubt that having these openings will move air into the cabin, but there are other ways to get it."

To get around this, you could easily make a plate to cover the openings when racing with PCA. Again from Walt:

"So your removable plate sounds like the way to go."
__________________
Tim
1998 986 (daily driver)
1999 986 (SPB)
2001 986 S (parting)
2015 981 (sold)
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:40 AM   #9
Registered User
 
rastta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cowtown CA
Posts: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
I used a similar setup in my 944 race cars, the cowl induction is fantastic, lots of air. Just remember to cover it when it's raining!

Just as an FYI, that modification is not allowed in PCA SPB racing. I wanted to do the mod when I built may car and had a long discussion with Walt F. at PCA. Below is part of an email response to me.

"Tim - none of my rules committee colleagues are in favor of allowing any openings in this cowl/battery tray area to be used for cabin ventilation if the stock components are removed. I don't doubt that having these openings will move air into the cabin, but there are other ways to get it."

To get around this, you could easily make a plate to cover the openings when racing with PCA. Again from Walt:

"So your removable plate sounds like the way to go."
I kept the factory covers and just use those if it's raining.

rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page