Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2022, 02:11 PM   #1

Fresh air driver vent

Have a 986 endurance race car and really struggle with how hot it gets in the cockpit. Anyone come up with a good solution for a fresh air vent for the driver? In my miatas I use a naca duct in the front side window which blows a tremendous amount of air on the driver and really helps a lot.

subieworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:37 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
Have a 986 endurance race car and really struggle with how hot it gets in the cockpit. Anyone come up with a good solution for a fresh air vent for the driver? In my miatas I use a naca duct in the front side window which blows a tremendous amount of air on the driver and really helps a lot.
1. Roll down windows

2. Top down

3. Bags of ice on groin area

4. Donna D'Errico in the passenger seat

5. Fashion NACA ducts to the ragtop

Not necessarily in that order.

Old 08-01-2022, 06:27 AM   #3
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Have you looked at ducting it from under the dash? I have no idea how your interior is configured, but there are two decent sources from just below the windshield to flow air:
Old 08-01-2022, 06:38 AM   #4
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Have you looked at ducting it from under the dash? I have no idea how your interior is configured, but there are two decent sources from just below the windshield to flow air:
That's a great idea. I've pulled the center... the foam repair job... and am thinking you could remove the guts... the flaps... cut a hole or two in the hood, and ram-air it. It seems that could give a nice breeze, when moving. Likewise pulling the cabin filter and ducting it to a ram-air on the hood.

Old 08-01-2022, 02:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starter986 View Post
That's a great idea. I've pulled the center... the foam repair job... and am thinking you could remove the guts... the flaps... cut a hole or two in the hood, and ram-air it. It seems that could give a nice breeze, when moving. Likewise pulling the cabin filter and ducting it to a ram-air on the hood.

I put two vents in my Boxster with hoses to the interior from those vents. You don't need to do any scoops - the air gets sucked in well enough. It uses 3 in hose. The ducts were from here and required no modifications other than to drill the holes in the factory screw locations.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productselection.asp?Product=3623

rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:49 AM   #6

Very nice! Are those holes cut in your hood I see as well?
subieworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by subieworx View Post
Very nice! Are those holes cut in your hood I see as well?
Well yes and no. The hole is for the air jack feed that is right in front of the vent. There are no holes for the vent. It functions as the feed of the heating and air system would - air gets suck under the hood and into the cabin. It's amazingly functional. I was thinking of adding inline fans at first - but they are unnecessary.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:27 AM   #8

I used a similar setup in my 944 race cars, the cowl induction is fantastic, lots of air. Just remember to cover it when it's raining!

Just as an FYI, that modification is not allowed in PCA SPB racing. I wanted to do the mod when I built may car and had a long discussion with Walt F. at PCA. Below is part of an email response to me.

"Tim - none of my rules committee colleagues are in favor of allowing any openings in this cowl/battery tray area to be used for cabin ventilation if the stock components are removed. I don't doubt that having these openings will move air into the cabin, but there are other ways to get it."

To get around this, you could easily make a plate to cover the openings when racing with PCA. Again from Walt:

"So your removable plate sounds like the way to go."
2001 986 S (parting)
2015 981 (sold)
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 08:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
I used a similar setup in my 944 race cars, the cowl induction is fantastic, lots of air. Just remember to cover it when it's raining!

Just as an FYI, that modification is not allowed in PCA SPB racing. I wanted to do the mod when I built may car and had a long discussion with Walt F. at PCA. Below is part of an email response to me.

"Tim - none of my rules committee colleagues are in favor of allowing any openings in this cowl/battery tray area to be used for cabin ventilation if the stock components are removed. I don't doubt that having these openings will move air into the cabin, but there are other ways to get it."

To get around this, you could easily make a plate to cover the openings when racing with PCA. Again from Walt:

"So your removable plate sounds like the way to go."
I kept the factory covers and just use those if it's raining.