Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
Pathological Tinkerer

IPhone mounts for Track Day Video

Hey all,

Looking for some help here.

I am making preparations for going out to the Utah Motorsports Park on 9/10-9/11 and I purchased a Ram suction mount and a Tackform ball clip based on readings here and on other forums to facilitate mounting my phone on the windshield for video. I plan to use RaceChono Pro with my OBDLink for data overlay.

My problem is I mounted the Ram mount high on the windshield, just behind my rearview mirror, and the suction system has just enough flex that the video is horribly jittery and unusable. The car has RS engine mounts for the transmission, 987 engine mount, headers, high flow cats, and a Beluga race exhaust but doesn't really feel like it vibrates bad. I don't really notice it.

Where do you all mount your suction style mounts and is it possible I have mine in a bad position, the mount has an issue, or maybe my phone camera is jacked? Normal video and picture taking is fine on the phone. It is an iPhone 8 Plus.

Last edited by P_Carfahrer; 08-26-2021 at 04:00 PM.
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 10:11 AM   #2

Lower is better for stabilizing and make sure it's not bumping mirror as that would exacerbate the issue. I have mine usually middle of windshield about 1/2 up or occasionally (just for data & not vid) vertical near driver A-pillar.

Also check the s/w for a image stabilization / auto focus feature.

I use Porsche's Track Precision App (as my car is capable) and video is always smooth... once I found those features within.

Good luck and have fun
Old 08-26-2021, 02:45 PM   #3
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Your mounting appears solid. The trick is always to get the camera as close to the suction mount as possible. Some phones have better image stabilizing than others. Make sure it's turned on
Often it's better to use a small action camera mounted directly to the windshield. You can match up the video with the data in post. I've used the SJCam M20 super cheap 4K cameras with great success!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:39 PM   #4
Pathological Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewArt View Post
Make sure it's turned on
Often it's better to use a small action camera mounted directly to the windshield. You can match up the video with the data in post. I've used the SJCam M20 super cheap 4K cameras with great success!
James, thanks for the comments. I don't see in any of the ios menus to set any specific video stabilization.

StevedOx reached out and said that the recent era phones have built in stabilizer functions that don't work so well for track type driving. Crazy that such expensive phones take crap video.

Here is an example on Youtube with newer phones compared to older ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzKZA2xhazg

Seems the consensus is to use a cheap mounted camera and ditch the phone video.
P_Carfahrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:45 PM   #5

can't go wrong with gopro and like others have said, you can add the data in post processing. Adobe is pretty cheap as a monthly subscription and you can cancel it during the off season then pick it up again later.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:16 AM   #6
On the slippery slope

Garage
Many tracks and clubs do not allow suction cup mounts for the track
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #7

One thing I found with the iPhone is if you use the camera in the “Selfie” mode, that is, the one on the screen side, you get more stable videos in the car. Apparently this side of the phone has less or no stabilization software to screw things up. This is on my iPhone 8 Plus. You need to do a little trial and error though to get the right camera angle/screen view this way though.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:43 AM   #8

I mount this on my BK rollbar extension and use the selfie cam.
This position has view of the track, where I’m looking (via rear view mirror), and steering inputs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B079Z1CH9B?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I loop a zip tie around the ‘neck’ of the mount then a couple more from the loop to the roll bar for extra security.