Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2019, 09:05 PM   #1

Can you daily drive a Porsche Boxster/Cayman? Maintenance cost?

I'm thinking about getting a 981 Boxster/Cayman, currently driving a BMW 5 series, is the maintenance/repair cost going to be much higher than the BMW or about the same?

I work monday through friday and average about 50 miles per day (commuting + other activities), can i use the 981 as a daily driver? Are the 981 reliable/durable? Or do they just fall apart after being daily driven for a couple of years like the Range Rover? free netflix tech news

Thanks in advance, very new to Porsche hope i'm not asking stupid questions lol.

Last edited by Pankh; 02-21-2019 at 09:32 PM.
Pankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 04:48 AM   #2

Porsches make great daily drivers. There are plenty of people who use their Porsches in that fashion. One member put 300K mi on his 986 Boxster. Cost will probably be similar to BMW as they're both expensive Euro cars and command premium prices when being worked on. If you're the least bit handy with tools, there are plenty of DIY projects you can do on your Porsche that will reduce costs significantly, like changing your own oil - $200 at the dealer, $90 if you do it yourself. Not familiar with the reliability of BMW but Porsche has a very good recent history of reliability.

Good luck with your search.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:13 AM   #3

I daily drove a Boxster for 4 years. Aside from a water pump, there were no major issues.

That car never let me down.

I tracked a Boxster hard for several years -- it was damn near bullet proof.

I now race a Boxster -- and still consider it a great platform.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 08:00 AM   #4

The one thing you might want to consider is the size difference between the bmw and a sports car and really make sure you can live with less space for daily driving. Just saying kinda apple orange comparison and some people cant effectly use a smaller car.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

I have owned five BMW's and five Porsche's. Both brands work well as a daily driver - it really depends on your personal desires/expectations. I currently daily drive my air-cooled 911SC.

The reliability and costs for maintenance/repairs for BMW and Porsche vehicles are generally about the same.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
I daily drove a Boxster for 4 years. Aside from a water pump, there were no major issues.

That car never let me down.

I tracked a Boxster hard for several years -- it was damn near bullet proof.

I now race a Boxster -- and still consider it a great platform.

Mike
Second that. I use my Boxster almost exclusively on track (hard) and has been solid after doing a couple mods to improve the known issues (power steering pump, oiling system, IMS).
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #7

I've been daily driving mine (2000 Boxster S) for about 2 years with some autocross and track use mixed in for good measure. I drive it pretty hard, but besides standard maintenance items (oil, filters, and spark plugs) I've only really had a couple problems:

- Had to replace the washer fluid tank seals (~1 hour DIY fix)
- Had my B&M short shifter snap on me when downshifting (~1-2 hour DIY fix)
- Fans for the exhaust/emissions occasionally don't kick on when starting the car (triggers CEL, only happens about once every couple months)

I've driven around 50,000 miles in that timeframe, so I've definitely been pleasantly surprised in that respect with the maintenance requirements. My car is a tire shredder though, but that could just be me. My rears are usually down to the wear bars in ~10,000 miles, so thank goodness for the Michelin treadwear warranties that I've thoroughly utilized.

Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote