Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
Track rat

Garage
Heading for WSIR in a few hours.

This will be my 1st Time Trial event of 2019 at Streets of Willow CW and they are predicting 25F overnight with a high of 56F tomorrow. Brrrrr, my tires are not going to like it!!!

On the plus side the cold air will add a little HP. Tires and brakes are good to go. When we were there last Oct. running CCW I had several low 1:27s which was a personal best. If I can tighten the loose spacer behind the steering wheel and find some grip in the cold there might be a 1:26 in the cards. That would be fun. Our PCA CC07 class is pretty deep this time including a guy with open wheel Formula 2.0 experience so that will keep it interesting. May the best driver win!

:dance:

Old 02-22-2019, 10:08 AM   #2
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Spray some lighter fluid on your tires and light them on fire just before you go on the track to warm them up. Trust me, i'm am scienceist.
WizardSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I am signed up to race on the Big Track with the Alfa Club tomorrow but still too sick to make it out. Have fun and stay warm!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #4

Good luck, hope you find the magic that happens when it's cool, the tires hook up, and you run your fastest laps!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:43 PM   #5

Halloween 2014 I went to my local track for a Fast Fri. RPM (the Nemesis!!! track) was closing the next day for the season, it would be 5 mo before I could drive there again, so I figured I better scratch that itch. It was 45 deg and sunny that day. Must have been the perfect intersection of warm enough for my tires and cool enough for gobs of HP as I set a personal best lap that still stands today. I've improved thru several of the 15 corners since then, but haven't been able to come w/in a second of that time. The computer doesn't lie.

Be careful but have fun. When you're not having fun, consider the 12" of snow we have here in NEB plus the ice we got last night and you're out driving on a track. Someone always has it worse.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 02-22-2019 at 11:45 PM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:01 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
Fun weekend at Streets with PCA. Yes it was cold especially early AM Saturday with 23F on my dash gauge. The car was flawless and I did manage a handful of 1:27s again but on Sunday my only set of tires started going off, lap times started rising, and Timed Runs meant just hanging on to the happy tail for 3 laps. Next time...

Jay is closing fast and was only 1.5 seconds behind. He has a good shot at the championship this year as I have to miss several events in the series.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:30 AM   #7

My first day on track ever back in 2007 at Thunderhill it was 18 degrees in the paddock when we arrived. It warmed up quite a bit by the time I hit the track but was still below freezing. My second day was up at Reno Fernley - it was 14 degrees in the paddock when we arrived. It was snowing on the back straight in the late morning, after raining in the am. Maybe that's how I learned so quickly :-)
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:35 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Fun weekend at Streets with PCA. Yes it was cold especially early AM Saturday with 23F on my dash gauge. The car was flawless and I did manage a handful of 1:27s again but on Sunday my only set of tires started going off, lap times started rising, and Timed Runs meant just hanging on to the happy tail for 3 laps. Next time...

Jay is closing fast and was only 1.5 seconds behind. He has a good shot at the championship this year as I have to miss several events in the series.
Glad to hear that everything went well! How about some video or photos? I'd like to see one of those 1:27's. I assume that Jay would like to see it too!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:08 PM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Glad to hear that everything went well! How about some video or photos? I'd like to see one of those 1:27's. I assume that Jay would like to see it too!
I probably should shoot more video as all I need to do is push the red button. I usually just run and compare data to dial in my sectors and make decisions on where the best grip is on a given day. Double apex in the bowl was working well on Sat but went away on Sunday. Too many marbles up top I suspect.

Here is a link to a bunch of photos. Boxster S #614 is pretty well developed and with Murray piloting ran a freaking 1:23 on sticker RE71r. Fast car, fast driver. Boxster S #171 is bone stock with a nice alignment and sticker RE71r also was running 1:27s. Pretty impressive!:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOoypo1y9wlRlaFQD_cfJKv1inqHGy8I-laNCX74CnQccp1jfTEFRBJdjh3Rz_CgQ?key=eFZ3WVJ2T29Yb 0hTQ1l2VF92Y0dPd3h4elUwSEd3

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOwlk6S7B737ftsy22nG5JCYH_skSbzdHXnH8trrHndAW LpjZKcTRK6WHqH6jGB8w?key=cF95SFFpZ1lvYzlGcDFFMU5xZ kpNRzFWazhSOEZn

Last edited by Topless; 02-25-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote