Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2019, 06:46 PM   #21
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Dyno'd the car today. Bone stock engine with 153k-ish miles......

Now the fun stuff can begin. Doing an intake and a/c + power steering delete tomorrow. (or at least starting.)
Also installed our short shifter today. DAMN it feels good. I've made my own shift knob for it, and if i have free time tomorrow i'll try and get it mounted.

Last edited by WizardSmokey; 01-04-2019 at 06:49 PM.
WizardSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:56 AM   #22

That’s a great result for that car on a Dyno Dynamics (a.k.a. Heartbreaker) dyno.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #23
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Yeah, we were both surprised and thrilled. We were expecting between 170-180 at the wheels. Best news is, we can finally get to the fun stuff! Got our intake engineered and manufactured, gonna do a few more things before we dyno it again and see if our shenanigans actually helped.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:28 AM   #24

Instead of destroying the seat, you could have gotten a cheap racing seat and sold the original one. At least here in Sweden, an original second hand Porsche seat in worn condition sells for about the same as a second hand racing seat.

Edit: Alright, now I noticed the actual condition of your seats. Never mind, then...
fridsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #25
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Hahaha, yeah. We kept most anything in condition worth selling, but both of the seats were WAAAYYY past that point.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:33 PM   #26
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Couple of things were accomplished recently. First, we got our NRG quick-release wheel in and on. You can't see it, but the release mechanism is pink, because why not. I happened to have a spare badge laying around, and we discovered that it fit perfectly where the horn button used to be!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we made the intake:

3" all the way to the filter. Yes, that's flexible air ducting form Home Depot. For the MAF, we cut the section of the stock airbox off that it plugged into and grafted it directly in. Runs like a champ, and the sound it makes is MAGNIFICENT. Can't wait to dyno again and see if it actually helped, though I'm pretty sure it does. (I'm an engineer, trust me.)

EDIT: Oh yeah almost forgot! You can see in that image with the intake, we blocked off the small port the AOS feeds into the intake and sealed it, and ran a hose from the AOS into the trunk. Eventually, we'll put a catch can back there, but for now, it'll do. Kinda interested to see how it does, and once we know more, i'll do a bit more of an in-depth write up. I've had the damnest time getting real, solid info on the stupid thing and deleting/bypassing it. (And yes, the MAF and AOS are both sealed with FLEX SEAL. Holy ****************, that stuff is worth every penny.)

Last edited by WizardSmokey; 06-14-2019 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Forgot somethjing.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:30 PM   #27
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Here's a short clip of a 2nd gear pull. Most of what you can hear is the intake, with just a touch of the muffler-less exhaust for spice. Without a helmet on, the intake noise is deafening, but oh my JEEZ it sounds amazing. The mic managed to capture the essence of it.

https://youtu.be/PmymbmIWhBc

With that, we're closing in on what I'm thinking of as v2 for this build. Once we get a proper seat in, i'm hoping to get back to Buttonwillow so we can compare times. Hoping for a 2:00, but realistically i'd be thrilled with a 2:10 (best of a 2:16 the first time we went, with learning the car and the track and etc.)

Last edited by WizardSmokey; 02-28-2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #28

You will love the seat upgrade, huge difference on the track. Do you mind posting what wheel and quick release you went with and what the cost was?
1thenaton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #29
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Got the hardware from drivenrg.com. Shipped fast, went right on, fit well, feels good, and looks good.
NRG Short Hub for 85-04 Porsche Boxster - $129.99
NRG Quick Release Gen 2.0 (Pink Body w/ Titanium Chrome Ring) SRK-200PK - $129.99
NRG RST-012S-RS: 320mm Race Style Suede Steering Wheel with Red Stitch - $129.99

Though you can get any wheel and quick release you like, it's the short hub that goes from the steering shaft to the rest of it that is vehicle-specific.

And yeah, we're amped about the seat. Even with the 6 point snugged down, we both still slide a bit.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:33 AM   #30
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Been a while since the last update, but fear not! I have been busy. I'll just quickly list some of the new things:
-New Federal 595 tires, 255/45-18 rear, 225/40-18 fronts.
-New NRG 6-point harness compatible seat.
-New windscreen (OEM replacement)
-Painted rollbar
-More stickers
-A dozen other tiny tweaks and messing around, probably a few other things I've forgotten about.

Heading to the SCCA San Diego Match event in the morning. I fully intend on placing well.

Old 06-15-2019, 07:03 AM   #31
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Way cool project! Keep us posted!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:04 PM   #32
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
https://youtu.be/R61-loEb9k8

While neither of us are particularly good at making videos, we do. It show's in slightly more detail what we've been up to.

Note: the first half or so of the video is older stuff that i've already shown pictures of here months ago.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:26 AM   #33

Garage
Too Cool looks like fun
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:30 PM   #34
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Working on the video of our 3 days of racing at the SCCA Match Tour event. With the better tires on, we've identified new limiting factors. Only problem is that it's getting to the point where the things that need done, there are no cheap good option or backyard workaround, like what we've done so far on this project. Progress might be getting a bit slower.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WizardSmokey View Post
Couple of things were accomplished recently. First, we got our NRG quick-release wheel in and on. You can't see it, but the release mechanism is pink, because why not. I happened to have a spare badge laying around, and we discovered that it fit perfectly where the horn button used to be!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand we made the intake:

3" all the way to the filter. Yes, that's flexible air ducting form Home Depot. For the MAF, we cut the section of the stock airbox off that it plugged into and grafted it directly in. Runs like a champ, and the sound it makes is MAGNIFICENT. Can't wait to dyno again and see if it actually helped, though I'm pretty sure it does. (I'm an engineer, trust me.)

EDIT: Oh yeah almost forgot! You can see in that image with the intake, we blocked off the small port the AOS feeds into the intake and sealed it, and ran a hose from the AOS into the trunk. Eventually, we'll put a catch can back there, but for now, it'll do. Kinda interested to see how it does, and once we know more, i'll do a bit more of an in-depth write up. I've had the damnest time getting real, solid info on the stupid thing and deleting/bypassing it. (And yes, the MAF and AOS are both sealed with FLEX SEAL. Holy ****************, that stuff is worth every penny.)
Make sure you do not oil the air filter and/or buy one pre-oiled. It f*ups the MAF very quickly. Keep it as a dry filter and you'll be fine.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #36
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Thanks for the advice, Mike! I'll be sure to keep it in mind.
Old 08-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #37
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
made a spoiler

Old 10-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #38
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Well, been a few updates on the car to make it more track-worth, but I guess the biggest one right now is that someone stole the keys out of the garage, and there's a race tomorrow.

Anyone know how to hotwire this damn thing?

Oh well, guess I'm looking at custom ECU time.
Old 10-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #39
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Alright, it's story time.

Wednesday night, some stole the keys to the racecar. Not the whole car, just the keys. So we promptly stayed up all damn night, calling 29 different locksmiths in the area. Out of all those, one said he could make a new key, but it would take a week.

The last one we called said he'll be right over.

His name is Sean, and he made a new key for my 986 in about 16 hours. He showed up at midnight, picked the driver's door lock to get the pins, then took the immobilizer back to his shop to code the new key's chip. He delivered it the next afternoon, we plugged the unit back in and etc, and boom, running racecar.

We had been planning on going to all 3 sessions of a Time Attack at Adam's Motorsports Park, east od L.A., but because of the key thing, we were barely able to throw everything in the car, jump in and brave SoCal rush hour traffic to drive 100 miles to catch only the last session, but we at least made it and was able to check the place out. Got 9 laps, and set some very respectable lap times considering we had never seen the track before. It's a kart track they they'll open for cars every other weekend. It's tight and technical, and for the most part feels like an autocross but with one decent little straight up the back. We were able to come 3rd overall, and if both of us hadn't been in the car and we had more laps, we're confident that we could have gotten much higher.

The less than stellar news is, now there's an engine noise. To me, it sounds like some piston slap. Most likely the results of tracking the car remorselessly without doing anything about the oil starvation issues the M96 is known for.

Not that this is totally unexpected, or even really disappointing. I've been just waiting for the 2.7 to go, so now I can start looking into a 3.2, or 3.4 maybe.
Old 10-30-2019, 10:42 PM   #40
Shapeshifting Lizard-Man

Garage
Minor update: Instead of troubleshooting and fixing the 2.7, I bought a different engine and am beginning the surgery to swap an insane, ludicrous, and utterly stupid engine into this 986. Feel free to guess what it is.