Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 01:21 PM   #1

2 days on track at Thunderhill Raceway starting tomorrow

Got the Boxster all cleaned up and ready to go. First time on track since the trans rebuild. Going to be wet part of Saturday - but looking forward to it.

rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Have fun! And let us know if the water proofing worked.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 03:37 PM   #3

Awesome, have fun!!!!
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:01 AM   #4

Had a blast this last weekend. Car ran great - although on the second day it was making a sound which literally sounded like a flat tire on right turns. Pulled wheels, checked everything - nothing seemed out of sorts and the steering felt fine. Not sure it's the tire/wheel but I'm going to go through it now.

Also met three spec boxster guys on Saturday - one of which was Scott Fisher a yellow car adorned with numerous podium stickers. Man he can fly in that thing. The other was a lime green and blue and the third was a blue/yellow blue angels car. Unfortunately we got a red flag on the only lap I was out right behind them.

Working on getting a video done now.

Last edited by rastta; 03-07-2017 at 08:54 AM. Reason: Corrected the name of the yellow car driver.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:24 AM   #5

Not my fastest set of laps - those happened the day before.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:41 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
Had a blast this last weekend. Car ran great - although on the second day it was making a sound which literally sounded like a flat tire on right turns. Pulled wheels, checked everything - nothing seemed out of sorts and the steering felt fine. Not sure it's the tire/wheel but I'm going to go through it now.
My first thought is to check the wheel bearings, they will make some strange noises in the early phase of failure that sometimes only happens under load (so a check in the pits seems ok).

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
Also met three spec boxster guys on Saturday - one of which was Tim Smith in a yellow car adorned with numerous podium stickers. Man he can fly in that thing. The other was a lime green and blue and the third was a blue/yellow blue angels car. Unfortunately we got a red flag on the only lap I was out right behind them.
Tim is a great guy and I have raced against him several times - I thought that he drove the Blue Angels car? Lime green and blue sounds like Doug Boccignone - another very good driver that I have had epic track battles with. The Norcal SPB guys are all very good drivers.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:02 AM   #7

The yellow car is Scott Fisher. King of Thunderhill (and damned fast everywhere, for that matter). A thoroughly decent chap, too! They're a great bunch of guys.
NigelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelT View Post
The yellow car is Scott Fisher. King of Thunderhill (and damned fast everywhere, for that matter). A thoroughly decent chap, too! They're a great bunch of guys.
Thanks for the correction on the name - couldn't remember. Yes - really nice group of guys.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
My first thought is to check the wheel bearings, they will make some strange noises in the early phase of failure that sometimes only happens under load (so a check in the pits seems ok).

Tim is a great guy and I have raced against him several times - I thought that he drove the Blue Angels car? Lime green and blue sounds like Doug Boccignone - another very good driver that I have had epic track battles with. The Norcal SPB guys are all very good drivers.
See my correction - I got the names mixed up and wrong. I mentioned I knew you and Bill Vogel and they all said the same. Very nice guys.