Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

Sheridan top

This is probably an incredibly stupid question but with tax time right around the corner I've been considering starting the journey of turning my box into a spec car over a long period of time. I currently daily the car and want to retain some of that driveability, though it will no longer be my daily.

I was just wondering if it's safe to run a Sheridan fiberglass hardtop without a cage for the street. I do plan on doing the cage but that will come later down the road. For now, I want to ditch the weight of the stock top. No track days will be attempted until it's all complete so don't need to worry about that. Just Curious if it's ok for the street.

Last edited by holtzy822; 01-25-2017 at 02:33 PM.
holtzy822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
inveniam viam aut faciam

This is not a replacement for a factory hardtop. It is just a shell with no real provisions for mounting on a street car, so you need to make brackets for Dzus fasteners, etc. to fastened it to the chassis. Likewise, they also have no provisions for front or window seals, so they are only really good for keeping the sun off of your head, and some of the wind out, but not much else.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #3

Hm.. Thats fine, I'm currently building an airplane so I have plenty of Dzus fittings around... Im sure I could figure out a weather seal solution. I live in Arizona so not too much rain. Its either this or shell out a lot more money for a factory hard top...
Rules of flying: Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees, and interstellar space. It it much more difficult to fly in these areas.
holtzy822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:26 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

My Sheridan top mounts to brackets/tabs that are welded to the windshield header and roll cage (via the aforementioned Dzus fasteners).

The Sheridan top is just a fiberglass shell. Without a cage, I'm not sure how or what the Sheridan top would mount to unless you fabricated some other type of custom brackets.

Four fasteners over the windshield header...

Inside mount showing tab welded to windshield header...

Side mount...

Inside side mount showing cage bracket...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #5

I don't know what fiberglass top I have but it is secured using the factory side latches and the two pieces that slide up into the windshield frame just like stock.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
inveniam viam aut faciam

A bit off of subject, but I wonder is there a reason that they couldn't incorporate the clamshell with the hardtop. That would be really nice for race cars.