Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #1

Turbo Twist Wheel Question.

I was reading the Technical Inspection rules for my PCA chapter (Northeast) and came across this:

"All lug nuts engaged; pay special attention to after-market wheels & Turbo Twist wheels; if using track tires, steel lug nuts should be used. Steel lug nuts are also recommended for those who change wheels. These are less likely to fatigue, stretch, and break during wheel changes."

Of course, I have Turbo Twist wheels. Is there some problem that I'm not aware of?
Do any of you use steel lugs?

Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #2

The 17" Carrera twist wheels have a pretty deep socket and the lug bolt head/lug nut is way down in there, so they are a little trickier to thread/start/check? Otherwise I can't think of anything.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:26 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I don't know if this is the reason for the PCA warning but during installation, it is easy to get the wheel slightly cocked to one side and not flush with the hub and still be able to torque the lug bolts. Later when the wheel presses flush with the hub, the lugs will be loose.

Always make sure that the wheel is flush to the hub (I visually check and use my fingers to feel that there isn't any small gap between the hub and wheel).

Ask me how I know.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 12-30-2016 at 10:28 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:00 PM   #4

In general (not just for the Boxster), you shouldn't use aluminum wheel nuts or bolts for racing. They're just not up to the task. The PCA rules state:

Quote:
26. Lugnuts must be steel with engagement at least equal to the diameter of the wheel lug studs
Better to install steel studs and use steel nuts.

I use the ones from Tarett Engineering.
Greg Holmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 12:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
I was reading the Technical Inspection rules for my PCA chapter (Northeast) and came across this:

"All lug nuts engaged; pay special attention to after-market wheels & Turbo Twist wheels; if using track tires, steel lug nuts should be used. Steel lug nuts are also recommended for those who change wheels. These are less likely to fatigue, stretch, and break during wheel changes."

Of course, I have Turbo Twist wheels. Is there some problem that I'm not aware of?
Do any of you use steel lugs?
If you are using factory lugs, you already have steel lugs.