Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2016, 02:24 PM   #1

Garage
Gt4

How many people have run up against the new Cayman GT4 or GTS on a track day. And what was your impression.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:47 PM   #2

Lap1doug was chasing one at Road Atlanta a while back and kept up pretty good
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #3

Found it: The new GT4 Up Close (sort of)
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I think that guy was still learning the car as he had only picked it up about a week before, so I'm sure it would have been worse otherwise.

I drove one at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta, and liked it a lot. As with all P-cars with OEM settings, it understeered too much, but they have GT3 control arms already installed, so this can be very easily fixed. The torque was very nice - wish I had that engine.

However, I hate to say it but, the greatest impression was the PSM technology, which has become absolutely phenomenal. I think you would have to be a complete dufus behind the wheel to crash one of these things.

The sad thing is that the fastest way to drive the car may be throwing it over the edge and letting the PSM save you. This PSM has output controls that a driver does not have available like braking one wheel, and the software has become very good.

I believe that I read in a recent Panorama that the new club racing GT4's have the PSM on all the time, and can't be totally turned off. I can understand why. If I was running another race sanctioning body, I was be very concerned about letting this new PSM technology in the door.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:43 PM   #5

Garage
I didn't realize how much bigger it was until I saw the posted snapshot. There were 3 in black group at VIR. I'm wondering if they were the same way just learning. I believe I passed them all every session.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:44 PM   #6
Track rat

Garage
We had 4 show up at our last DE/AX event. I managed to outrun 3 with newer owners but the 4th was well sorted and had a top SoCal driver at the wheel. He wiped the gators with all of us... as he should!