Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2015, 12:59 PM   #1

Seats for spec boxster for tall folks

Looking into seats for spec boxster I'm building. I'm 6'2" and slender and need something that will keep my head from riding into hard top (for obvious reasons). would like a seat that is FIA and hans compatible.
Any recs?

jonasjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #2

There is an in-date Recaro Profi XL for sale on RL. I have that seat in my Boxster, floor mounted, I am 6'2", 34" inseam, 36" waist, and the seat is awesome for "bigger" folks.

If you are slender then possibly the regular Profi might be good for you, that is what I have on my passenger side. For me it is like a child seat... I can jam myself in but it is not comfortable.

If I were to build a racecar I think I would look seriously at the Bimarco Grip seat, it is an FIA Halo seat.

BIMARCO - sport seats and racing shells manufacturer - FIA homologation

They used to sell on ebay but I think they are selling direct now, the US rep is Michal Chodan
bimarcousa@gmail.com

I think one or two folks on here may have this seat and I think some racers on RL do as well. half price or less of some of the other seats.

Are you in NC (RDU?) Check with the Carolinas Region PCA as they have an active HPDE program and you could probably go to one of their events and sit in a lot of seats to try them.

Steve

[Edit - looks like they are back on ebay but with slightly higher prices.. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4340.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xbimarco.TRS0&_nkw=bimarco&_sacat=0 If you buy 2 seats I think they can ship them in the same box for only 1 shipping charge.]

Last edited by steved0x; 08-20-2015 at 01:33 PM.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #3

thanks steve!
yes in raleigh. Not a whole lot boxsters I've seen on the track events, most have stock seats, gt3 seats. I would consider you slender by today's american standards as those are my pants size as well. Do you have the recaro's bolted to floor directly?
Old 08-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #4

This product will lower any seat. I haven't tried it myself.

Precision Chassisworks boxster seat mount

Greg
Greg Holmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #5

It is bolted to Brey Krause side mounts which are bolted to the floor with the floor mount with integrated sub bar.

I also have an out of date Sparco Circuit pro halo seat that you may be able to use with a back brace. It is good for slender people, my butt can fit in the base but my shoulders are too wide for the wings/halo. The bad thing about seats is they are so big, shipping is $$$, so it is best to sit in one first unless you know someone your same size with the seat.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:25 PM   #6

Oh if we are the same size then the Sparco is too small. I think Recaro Profi XL would be a good size for you, I love it.

Maybe one of the spec boxster builders will chime in with some seat advises.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:14 PM   #7

I used the Profi XL in my last racecar and loved it... I am not as tall, but have a freakishly long torso in proportion to my legs. I have a hard time fitting in cars with sunroofs. I bought a new seat for my SpecBoxster build, a Sparco Ergo L VTR (Sparco USA). Absolutely love the fit. Check the link, as they have measurements there.

One reason I switched from a Recaro Pole Position to the Profi XL and now to the Sparco, and one thing to pay attention to when sizing, is the shoulder harness pocket position. In the Pole Position the harness pockets were below the level of my shoulders, causing the harness to come through the seat then make a 90 degree turn up and over my shoulders. This resulted in me suffering a compression fracture in my spine in a particularly nasty off. So, make sure the harness can come through the seat without interference, at the appropriate angle from the harness bar.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:45 AM   #8

I checked with precision chassisworks and they stopped making that floor mount several years ago, due to lack of spec boxster interest. No one carries the sparco nearby, I do like that they have the hans compatible removable on the ergo, Steve do you use the profi xl with hans?
Old 08-21-2015, 09:43 AM   #9

I use it with a Necksgen. The first time I used it, it was hitting my helmet so I performed an adjustment (it has 4 adjustment settings on the back) to move it one notch away from the helmet to resolve the helmet hitting. Hopefully that didn't put it into the seat... I haven't done another track day since making that adjustment. But it definitely wasn't in the seat the first time I used it.

I think many seats are compatible with HANS, I think it is a matter of making sure you get the right angle for the HANS (HANS brand, not the acronym) to match the angle of your seat back, I believe there are several different angles available. I don't have that brand so I may be mistaken.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:58 AM   #10
Track rat

Garage
This is my favorite racing seat line. High build quality and they fit well. They probably don't fit everyone well but most who ride in my car like em. For track duty only I recommend a full containment seat.

Your Factory Authorized Cobra Seats importer in the US.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:23 PM   #11

Here's another mounting option:

GMG Racing "Super low" Seat base kit for Boxster - Rennlist Discussion Forums

$595.
Greg Holmberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 03:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Holmberg View Post
I have seen that base but didn't know it was $595. It looks very nice. The Profi XL fir sale on RL has that base, I guess that's why it is $1500.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #13

Jonas, you going racing with my old Box or just DE? Randy and I may be turning mine into a racer and I need a new seat. I'll have GT3 seats FS if we go this route. Talk to me off line......

Chris
993innc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #14

If you are planning on PCA racing with the car I am not sure the GMG bracket would be legal as I believe the sub anchors need to be mounted to the chassis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I have seen that base but didn't know it was $595. It looks very nice. The Profi XL fir sale on RL has that base, I guess that's why it is $1500.
The key to sitting lower in the car are the seat mounts and sliders, not the seat itself. I found I had to modify the side plates so the seat could be mounted lower, and use recaro sliders rather than factory. As mentioned above, no sliders would be even better.
spendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:05 PM   #15

New Seats

Went to HMS motorsports outside of Charlotte and sat in all the seats they had, the owner was super nice, knowledgable. Ended up with Cobra Sebring pro-fit. Now just to get them installed. Brings me to next question.
Is there a harness bar, that is made for boxster. Probably be running a few events before I can get the full cage in. Seems like if no harness bar, no harnesses, no seats, as the 3 point restraint won't work with the cobras.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:00 PM   #16
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasjmac View Post
Went to HMS motorsports outside of Charlotte and sat in all the seats they had, the owner was super nice, knowledgable. Ended up with Cobra Sebring pro-fit. Now just to get them installed. Brings me to next question.
Is there a harness bar, that is made for boxster. Probably be running a few events before I can get the full cage in. Seems like if no harness bar, no harnesses, no seats, as the 3 point restraint won't work with the cobras.

The Cobra is a nice seat.

Harness attachment point and shoulder strap angle is critical but often our roll bar is just right. Check your harness install instructions and start taking measurements.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:50 PM   #17

Yeah those Cobras are nice! I have my harness shoulder straps wrapped on the bottom.of the roll hoops and the angle is ok.

Steve
Old 09-28-2015, 04:06 PM   #18

seats are in, super comfortable can't wait to get back on the track in em. promise i put them in the right way. not sure why this pic is upside down.