Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
Texas-T

Garage
My 1st Autocross

On Saturday, March 15th, 2014 I attended my 1st PCA Carolinas AutoX at the Z-Max Dragway in Concord NC. I loved it! (Car #211 - 2004 Boxster S 986 3.2L M94) I plan to attend all 6 this year, and maybe even some local SCCA solo events. I registered as Class P07, since i have a few aftermarket parts, such as my air filter. My times were ok, but i didn't place in the top 3, so i definitely will need to work on my driving skills if i want to get better. Anyway, here are a few photos from the event. Enjoy!

Tex

Old 03-17-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
Texas-T

Garage
a few more photos (of some of the other cars)

Old 03-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

Looks like a lot of fun! Did you have an instructor? Can you share with us what you learned? What do you think that you need to work on more?
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #4

Wow, what a lineup.
That looks like the best day of the year right there. haha
Old 07-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Texas-T

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Looks like a lot of fun! Did you have an instructor? Can you share with us what you learned? What do you think that you need to work on more?
Yes, i did have an instructor on my 1st run. (As required) He said just take it slow, learn the track before trying to push the car too hard. He said that i had good hands because i didnt have them moving all over the wheel, and also said that taking it slow and not hitting a cone is still faster than a 2-sec penalty for every cone that is hit out of the box or knocked over. Beginners mistake was a full tank of gas, which wasnt needed, and weighed me down. ive also learned that increasing the air pressure strengthens the sidewalls of the tires, and the pressure needs to be relieved in the summer heat as the day progresses. Also i learned that in the Production class, i am permitted to lose some extra weight from the spare tire, tools, and floor mats. My times got better and better as the day progressed, and my 2nd autocross i placed 3rd out of 7 in my division! Can't wait for the 3rd AutoX coming up soon!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Texas-T

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
Wow, what a lineup.
That looks like the best day of the year right there. haha
they have a great turnout! usuallt 100 participants, and all makes and models. quite a few guys (and gal's) from the local SCCA chapter come as well. my instructor was actually the person in charge of the SCCA Solo Competition, and although i forgot his name, he was FAST in his yellow S2000. It's a lot of fun. i recommend going to your closest autocross event if you havent already!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 PM   #7

Oh no!! another person who is hitting the "Track Pipe" Welcome to the slippery slope

FYI: leave all the weight up front.. maybe just half a tank of gas. The car inherently understeers unless someone/you have dialed it out. Leave some weight of front!! I cant count how many times Ive added a full size battery back into these cars and felt like we had more forward bite
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:01 AM   #8
Yeast Rancher

Nice pic of Bob Saville's 914, he's quick. More seat time will get you faster, enjoy.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #9
On the slippery slope

Garage
Look for a local Porsche Club Performance Driving School (PDS) or Driver Education (DE) event. You will learn tons about your car and driving it
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 05:30 AM   #10

Carolinas AutoX at Z-Max

I was there as well! I was in the white 986S with black wheels, I ran in the 2nd group. It was a blast, look forward to Statesville! See you there... Gary