Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,284
smooth cockpit floors?

I had trouble keeping my feet stable on a smooth metal cockpit floor.....couldn't anchor my heels when working the pedals

I would be tempted to put a strip of grip tape on there!

How do you all find this? Is there a problem with my technique?
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Southern New jersey
Posts: 1,054
You should have a heel support. In Formula cars they rivet Aluminum angles, or channels ( ideally with a 45 angle ) across the footbox. Friction tape will be really hard on your shoes!
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 7,456
Maybe something like this:



Track Mat - Driver Side-Rennline, Inc.
__________________
1999 996 C2 - sold - bought back - sold for more
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
Track rat
 
Topless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Cucamonga CA
Posts: 3,648
Garage
Some guys will glue in a marine quality non-skid pad something like this:
Tracker 143719 Black 4 5 8 x 3 5 8 inch Foam Rubber Boat Non Skid Pad Single | eBay
__________________
2009 Cayman 2.9L PDK (with a few tweaks)
PCA-GPX Chief Driving Instructor
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:16 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 162
I don't race a boxster, but I use grip tape on my rally car. I got the cheap stuff meant for stairways at Home Depot. Wore away pretty quickly, but did the job. Would replace it with some higher quality stuff.

I've never liked straight up metal or anything, the slightest bit of dampness and it's slick as hell.
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:19 AM   #6
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
You should have a heel support. In Formula cars they rivet Aluminum angles, or channels ( ideally with a 45 angle ) across the footbox. Friction tape will be really hard on your shoes!
This sounds ideal and the friction surface would real bite the soles.....but I can't rivet in anything as I am on a track mat
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Maybe something like this:



Track Mat - Driver Side-Rennline, Inc.
Yes .....but I am sliding around in the area right in front of the pedals...
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by MConte05 View Post
I don't race a boxster, but I use grip tape on my rally car. I got the cheap stuff meant for stairways at Home Depot. Wore away pretty quickly, but did the job. Would replace it with some higher quality stuff.

I've never liked straight up metal or anything, the slightest bit of dampness and it's slick as hell.
Yes exactly! I am just wondering how others drive with a smooth surface I find it very tricky and hard to get use to
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #9
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Some guys will glue in a marine quality non-skid pad something like this:
Tracker 143719 Black 4 5 8 x 3 5 8 inch Foam Rubber Boat Non Skid Pad Single | eBay
Sounds like this maybe the ticket! It would be nice to find a long strip of this!
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
SPB racer
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 252
Garage
I might also suggest a thin piece of plywood (or even checker plate) riveted to the trackmat itself. You do want to have some slip under your feet but I agree the trackmat offers too much.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:49 AM   #11
Rennzenn
 
j.fro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,355
Garage
When I pulled the carpet from my car I had the same problem, so I made a set of lightweight floorboards. I cut a piece of black foam-core poster board to the same shape as my passenger floor mat. This was bent/creased to match the floor, then I put two layers of fiberglass on each side to hold that shape and make it sturdy. I finished the top by spraying it with truck bedliner paint. I cut a few pieces of PVC pipe to even out the car floor, then secured it with 4 bolts. Looks race car proper and works great, even on rainy track days.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Registered User
 
jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: toronto
Posts: 2,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
When I pulled the carpet from my car I had the same problem, so I made a set of lightweight floorboards. I cut a piece of black foam-core poster board to the same shape as my passenger floor mat. This was bent/creased to match the floor, then I put two layers of fiberglass on each side to hold that shape and make it sturdy. I finished the top by spraying it with truck bedliner paint. I cut a few pieces of PVC pipe to even out the car floor, then secured it with 4 bolts. Looks race car proper and works great, even on rainy track days.
You should sell these!
__________________
00 986 S....with a few tweaks
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page