Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

HANS Device Too Tight

Since I am now doing time trials at high speed tracks (Laguna Seca, AutoClub Speedway, Big Willow, etc), I recently bought a HANS device. I have a big build with a 20" neck so I bought the size Large with the standard 20 degree inclination.

I've tried using the HANS in three events (7 days) and find it to be very uncomfortable - it feels like its way too tight around the neck while I am strapped into the car (racing seats and 6-pt harnesses). It is so uncomfortable that I won't use it anymore.

It seems that HANS doesn't actually make a size XL even though they show that size on their website sizing chart.

Any suggestions?

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Top always down...

I have found the head and neck device by Simpson Safety Solutions to be much more comfortable and have better side-to-side protection. they are worm more like a back pack than a HANS and should have more room in the neck. If possible, I would try to find a race shop that will let you try them on with your helmet.

Last edited by yale02; 10-22-2012 at 07:32 AM.
yale02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:02 AM   #3

I love my DefNder (now NecksGen) compared to the many HANs I've used. And I often spend entire days in the car without taking it off (I do rally racing, not track days, so in the car for hours and hours at a time).
MConte05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

To close this thread out, I'd like to post a shout out to the guys at Stand 21 for going the extra mile for racing safety. In fact, they went about 5,000 extra miles!

I bought a size Large HANS device last year but it really was too small for my linebacker-like neck. I contacted Stand 21 and they understood the problem but the Large is the biggest HANS sold in the US.

Instead of leaving it there, Kevin McConnell from Stand 21 Costa Mesa contacted HANS directly and got approval to import an XL HANS from France! I don't think that many other sellers could have worked that deal.

The XL fits perfect and works great. You can't beat that kind of customer service!
1979 911 SC
Old 03-24-2013, 09:11 AM   #5

Is Hans still the best option out there?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
SPB racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
It's good enough to do the job for every formula 1 driver out there. That makes it good enough for me.
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Yes, the HANS is the best solution by far. Even thought I'm not racing wheel to wheel (yet), I do drive in the open passing DE groups and after I saw a car that had flipped over, I was convinced that I needed to increase my odds of walking away after an incident. Remember, its not you, its the new guy on the track with you who is going 120mph after he barely slept last night that you have to worry about. The good news is that the HANS is affordable (about the price of a set of tires), easy to use, and now that I have the correct size, it is hardly noticeable when I'm strapped in the car.

1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 03-27-2013 at 07:22 PM.