Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kroggers View Post
OK, so I need to go smaller - how about 265/35 on front and 295/30 in rear?
I don't have much experience when it comes to race/track applications. However, based on the size(s) of the wheels alone, one would have to think that you're adding a tremendous amount of unnecessary weight. Especially, considering the fact that it's unsprung rotational mass.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #22

Garage
Quote:
Interesting. I am currently running 18x8.5 and 18x10 with Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 225/40 & 265/35.

The car is a dedicated racing car 2001 Boxster S which has been remapped. I will have to dyno the car again, but hope to be close to 300BHP. I am also running with a 2.5 5 speed gearbox with an LSD for better gearing.

Like I said above, I will be putting on the AIR Boxster rear fender flares which gives an extra 2" so could maybe even go up to a 18X11.5 or 18x12 rear wheel. I would have liked to get the current 18x10 that I am running in the rear to fit in the front as then I will only need to get new rear wheels
Kroggers you did well last year with what you have, DFIU!

Run the same wheels with 245/ 285/30 or 285/35.

285/30 is shorter than what you had= lower gearing or 285/35 is taller= taller gear.

Too much of anything is always too much!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Kroggers you did well last year with what you have, DFIU!

Run the same wheels with 245/ 285/30 or 285/35.

285/30 is shorter than what you had= lower gearing or 285/35 is taller= taller gear.

Too much of anything is always too much!
I have been back and forward on this so long now I am starting to go mad

Having calculated the cost to get new wheels etc, I have decided it will not not fit in my budget for the 2013 season (I still need to pay out for the body work etc as well).

So with some thought I am going to do something close to what you are suggesting. I will run next season with my current wheels which are 18 x 8 and 18 x 10 and widen the track with adapters - cheaper than getting new wheels etc.

If I run these wheels with 285/30 on the rear and 225/40 or 235/40 on the front, then that gives me a half way to where I am considering going and I can see if I need more corner traction for the following season or not

The issue with the front is that Michelin recommend that you do not go wider than the 225/40 on a 18 x 8 wheel. They say that at a push a 235/40 can be used.
Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:08 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
I have been back and forward on this so long now I am starting to go mad

Having calculated the cost to get new wheels etc, I have decided it will not not fit in my budget for the 2013 season (I still need to pay out for the body work etc as well).

So with some thought I am going to do something close to what you are suggesting. I will run next season with my current wheels which are 18 x 8 and 18 x 10 and widen the track with adapters - cheaper than getting new wheels etc.

If I run these wheels with 285/30 on the rear and 225/40 or 235/40 on the front, then that gives me a half way to where I am considering going and I can see if I need more corner traction for the following season or not

The issue with the front is that Michelin recommend that you do not go wider than the 225/40 on a 18 x 8 wheel. They say that at a push a 235/40 can be used.
It makes no sense why Michelin would say that a 235 tire is suboptimal on an 8 inch wheel. It will fit perfectly well without any concerns.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
It makes no sense why Michelin would say that a 235 tire is suboptimal on an 8 inch wheel. It will fit perfectly well without any concerns.
I fits fine but a wider wheel will stabilize the tread & sidewall.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
I agree. But, Ive utilized both fitments with great success.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #27

I would have thought that on a racing car you want the tread and sidewall as stable as possible in a turn?

I have the specifications from Michelin (in Swedish) and they state the following recommendations:

.- 225/40 R 18 wheel size 7,5/9
.- 235/40 R 18 wheel size 8/9,5
.- 265/35 R 18 wheel size 9/10,5
.- 285/30 R 18 wheel size 9,5/11
.- 295/30 R 18 wheel size 10/11,5

In the specifications they say to get best performance you should select a wheel in the middle, so a 285/30 would perform best on a 18x10 wheel.

So with my current 18x8 and 18x10 I could run 235/40 up front and 295/30 on the rear, but Michelin suggest this would not give best performance.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #28

There may be an "optimal" tire/wheel width ratio, but most people can't afford to change wheels every time they want to test a new tire setup. A bit to either side won't cause any problems.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #29

Garage
Quote:
& this might be your best bet:

4 Fikse Mach 5 Cayman S spec wheels - Classifieds

Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #30

Quote:
Thank you for the link, did not know that the Cayman can fit 10 & 11x18 - do they have the same offset as the 2001 Boxster S?

Those are nice wheels, but by the time I have paid out for shipping to Finland and our nice import costs, it would probably cost more than having new wheels made to fit my car over here?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #31

Garage
Quote:
Thank you for the link, did not know that the Cayman can fit 10 & 11x18 - do they have the same offset as the 2001 Boxster S?

Those are nice wheels, but by the time I have paid out for shipping to Finland and our nice import costs, it would probably cost more than having new wheels made to fit my car over here?
offset are close if not identical. Check out Fikse website, their wheels are much lighter & stronger than OEM wheels. Aren't there ways around import costs for used parts?
Old 11-13-2012, 11:44 PM   #32

Quote:
offset are close if not identical. Check out Fikse website, their wheels are much lighter & stronger than OEM wheels. Aren't there ways around import costs for used parts?
I have decided that I will have the wheels made to fit my car. At the moment I am talking to a company in UK to get the wheels made.

Unfortunately, import costs to Finland is the same for anything - new or used

The wheels from the company in the UK cost a bit more than the price on new Fikse wheels, but I save on shipping and import.

And here is what the new wheels are going to fill - collected her from the body shop Monday evening

Old 12-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #33
Blake

Garage
I need some help. I found some wheels I want on this website, and want to put them on my 2002 boxster s. They are 20x9s front and back. I am running 18" stock wheels currently. Does anyone know if the 20x9s will fit, and what tires would I run on them if they did.

Here is the site of the wheels I want: PORSCHE WHEELS 20 INCH SILVER RIMS (POR-150-20-SLV)
brooke1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #34

Garage
You'll be hard pressed to find a knowledgeable boxster enthusiast who will give his or her approval on running 20 inch wheels, let alone a set that involves 9 inch wide fronts.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
You'll be hard pressed to find a knowledgeable boxster enthusiast who will give his or her approval on running 20 inch wheels, let alone a set that involves 9 inch wide fronts.
Speak for yourself Johnny, you need to open your mind... Look at this tastefully done 944...

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #36

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
Speak for yourself Johnny, you need to open your mind... Look at this tastefully done 944...

I've been converted !
Old 12-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #37
Blake

Garage
I hear ya, but this picture shows 20s and they look good. Many of the 2013s run 20s.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:50 AM   #38
Blake

Garage
Bad idea

I wanted to share another bad wheel idea.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #39

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooke1b View Post
I hear ya, but this picture shows 20s and they look good. Many of the 2013s run 20s.
Just because some Euro tuner shows them on a vehicle (which by the way is a 987) doesn't mean that it's a good application. Also, any of the newer Porsche vehicles that come equipped with 20 inch wheels, involve a suspension system and geometry that's been designed to accommodate them. Putting 20 inch wheels on a 986 boxster would be a disaster from both a performance, as well as a ride quality point of view. Lastly, those Techart wheels in the photo have the weight equivalent of a dump truck !