Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2012, 03:56 AM   #1

Best Suspension Mods for Road Atlanta?

I just finished my 1st weekend on a road coarse. I did HPDE1 sponsered through NASA at Road Atlanta. I see now I really need to upgrade my suspension, brakes and tires.
Anyone had any experience there and have any suggestions? 00 Boxster
Thanks, Bob

aaebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:52 AM   #2

I would start with the easy/cheap stuff. Get it aligned so it has as much neg camber in the front as possible, only about 1 deg with stock suspension, and the same or slightly less camber in the rears, but again you won't be able to get a lot of camber out with the stock suspension because the camber affects toe in.

Next, try some track brake pads, although I haven't had the need yet. I've only done 2 DE and on my last one I got some new Mintex pads (cheapest OEM pad available) and with the GT3 brake ducts (the $30 part) I had absolutely no problem with the brakes. No fade, no chatter and surprisingly little wear on the pads.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Suspension changes are really all about maximizing the contact patch of your tires. Start with the tire size and compound you plan to run, along with running weight and driver experience and you will get more meaningful answers. If your answer is- first year driver on street tires, stock suspension with a good alignment is probably the way to go. As you add lateral grip to the car with comp tires, you need to add more beef to the struts and sways.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by san rensho View Post
I would start with the easy/cheap stuff. Get it aligned so it has as much neg camber in the front as possible, only about 1 deg with stock suspension, and the same or slightly less camber in the rears, but again you won't be able to get a lot of camber out with the stock suspension because the camber affects toe in.

Next, try some track brake pads, although I haven't had the need yet. I've only done 2 DE and on my last one I got some new Mintex pads (cheapest OEM pad available) and with the GT3 brake ducts (the $30 part) I had absolutely no problem with the brakes. No fade, no chatter and surprisingly little wear on the pads.
+1 on the GT3 ducts....cheap brake cooling
Old 06-18-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Don't be in a huge hurry to upgrade anything unless you are capable of out-driving the car or at the top of your car class.

Tires: If your existing street tires are not up to track service, getting too hot, or chunking; move to a higher performance street tire like the Hankook RS-3 or Kumho Ecsta XS or similar.

Brakes: Unless you are experiencing significant brake fade, stay with stock and add the cheap GT-3 brake ducts. When you start to experience brake fade, then move up to a street/track combo pad. Later, when you're frying pads and brake wear sensors, then move up to a track pad and zip tie up your pad wear sensors.

Suspension: Get a track alignment to get as much front negative camber as possible. Then drive it that way until you can out-drive the car and/or are shredding the outside edge of your tires on a regular basis. THEN think about a suspension upgrade.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 06-19-2012 at 11:52 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:45 AM   #6

Thanks guys. Great advice. It just seemed like the tires were wanting to roll under the car but there is no tire wear. I'll go with the coolers and alignment next track day.
aaebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Certified Boxster Addict

Check the tire sidewalls for excessive tire roll. Many tires have little small triangles molded into the tire around the outside edge of the tire. The tire wear boundary shouldn't go past the tip of the little triangles. If this is happening, then go up a few pounds in air pressure to try and stiffen up the sidewall and see if that helps.

I'll try and post a picture later today for an example.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:50 AM   #8
SPB racer

Garage
Spend your money on seat time and instruction. It'll make you much faster and cost a whole lot less.

Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote