Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #1

Thunderhill PCA Club race 03/24/25/12

It poured down rain like a motherF'r on Sat.!! LOL Friday test was good and Sunday was *just* dry enough to turn some decent laps, collect some decent data and video!!

It was cool to see my old NorCal gang and meet up with some new (to me) Boxster people (Chris Zang for one)

It appears my customer will be able to run at the front with some minor tweaks to his driving (this was his second time to THill) and he has only raced in the rain one other time

Good times. Good people. Fun was had!

B

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #2

Good to see you there, Brad. Great weekend. I expected to suck in the wet with my very limited wet experience, but with almost new unshaved RA1's and soft suspension I was pretty much fastest on Saturday until Andrew finally got me in the pouring down wet sprint race. Of course, as the track dried out on Sunday I suffered, falling back to low-mid-pack pace even after stiffening up the sway bars for the enduro.

Should I get the RA1's shaved (they now have about 5 hrs of track time on them), or endure them until they wear in? I also have a set of nearly new R888's I can run at some events. Not sure if those will be be better in dry and/or better in wet, compared to these unshaved RA1's. Toyos are a new thing to me.
trygve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #3

Go ahead and get them shaved. Have Brandon Krause do them!!

Are you on the stock PSS9 springs? I forgot to look.. it's no wonder you car did so well in the rain!!! SUPER SOFT!!!

I was cheering for ya!!

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #4

All right, shaved it shall be!

Yes, I still have the stock PSS9 springs. You told me to try staying with those before putting on heavier springs, because you suspected the original Spec Boxster test mule was heavy and maybe the heavier Spec alternate spring rate is overkill for a car that makes weight. I'll have to see when it makes sense to switch the springs. One thing at a time.

PS: Video from the sprint race in the rain shot from Andrew's car. I stayed ahead of him for 2 laps. He got me exiting turn 8, where I now realize I was staying in 4th gear as if it was dry and out of 3rd gear range, but in the wet we were much slower and the 3rd gear downshift allowed him to easily beat me up the hill. We ran side-by-side over 9, down the hill and thru 10.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #5

I would have had you go full stiff on the bars for Sunday~!!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #6

Nice holeshot on the start!! BRAG power was working good.. LOL
Old 03-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #7

The polesitter next to me must've forgotten that the 911's and Boxsters would receive one shared green flag. (Weird arrangement if you ask me.) He left a bigger than desired gap from the 911's for that arrangement, so as we rounded turn 15 and entered the straight, I peered way the heck down there and saw 911's already in turn 1 with something waving in the starter stand down there in the mist ... so I stomped on the loud pedal like I was supposed to, knowing the green flag must have already dropped.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #8

Yes, I agree.. DUMB.. there was no need for the 911's to get their own "green"

You saw how early MarkF was.. LOL I called the 911 green after he told me exactly what you thought in this video~~!!

I have **never** seen 3 greens thrown. The Boxster's wont ever hold up a group of Spec911's. I have seen BoxsterSpec outrun Eclass 911's on occasion

The best part of a split start? (you need to remember this) they will NEVER waive off the second group!! (jump the start)

B
Old 03-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #9

Brad,

the pleasure was all mine
See you in Buttonwillow

and @Trygve: Good to see you hang out more with us PCA guys

Cheers
Chris

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car

Last edited by ChrisZang; 03-30-2012 at 07:21 PM.
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote