Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 AM   #41

Cool, thank you Brad, I will look for that in the shop...

Kroggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #42
SPB racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
They are out of balance.. but it is because of buildup!! Clean them out once a day during the weekend!!

Inside secret for keeping the clag off the inside of the rim??

PAM

Seriously. Clean the wheels with Simple Green thoroughly.. get all the Sh_t off of them. Have them balanced, tape the weights on with the silver tape.. then spray the inside of the wheels with PAM. NO JOKE. The rubber chunks/clag won't stick to the PAM (the large pieces won't) Re-PAM them prior to each weekend
B
hmmm. I'll be at heartland on Friday. I'll try both your Pam suggestion and your cleaning frequency (damn I'm going to have to hire a team - my wife just ain't going to do it) and see if I have been wrong all along. It is certainly true that at TWS my car was spewing chunks of the required RA1s everywhere but I have a suspicion that the bits that remained glued to the tires where heavier than those that were inside the wheels. I'll let you know. I also suspect that my dogs are going to way too attracted to my wheels. Anything that smells like human food is just irresistible to both of them. Any reason why a thin coat of motor oil wouldn't do the same thing?
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #43
SPB racer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson View Post
The key is, if you're not dynamically balancing, you won't know if the imbalance is towards the inside or outside, so getting the weight in the exact right spot is a crap shoot.
That makes it clearer. So then, When my guy is spinning my wheel on a machine is he doing a dynamic balance? If not can someone describe the process difference?
Old 04-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #44

Unless you see him select the balance method, you won't know

I'm betting if you are using a Discount tire, they are balancing dynamic.

FYI: The Discount Tire owner is a GT3Cup car racer

Try the PAM. I'll send you the $5 if it doesn't work. Thin coat.

The motor oil is not designed to stick to metal and motor oil is not good as it runs off onto the tires

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #45

Quote:
and your cleaning frequency
You'll find with the PAM that you can reach into the spokes and knock the pieces off with a rag. Just make sure the rotors have cooled off~!

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #46
SPB racer

Garage
Smile

Quote:
I'll send you the $5 if it doesn't work.
B
LOL.......... I ain't got that much time left.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:59 AM   #47
SPB racer

Garage
Quote:
and motor oil is not good as it runs off onto the tires

B
that probably wouldn't be good.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:17 AM   #48
SPB racer

Garage
I tried the Pam on the wheels. Definitely helped in junk removal but truth be told it was almost as easy to knock it off without it (I used the Pam on one side only). For the record, I started with balanced tires and although removing the junk seemed to help to keep them from feeling quite so out of balance by the end of the third heat cycle they felt pretty much out of wack albeit this was at Heartland which seems like a very abrasive surface.