Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #1

What are the best tires for Boxsters?

Background:
I recently mounted some Kumhos, they're used tires that I basically got for free. I whole heartedly regret replacing my completely bald Michelins for these pieces of junk. Should have ran them to the wires. I bought the car with the Michelins, I'm thinking they're Pilot Sports, didn't pay much attention to them. I get no grip with these tires compared to the previous ones, it's really drastic. Makes me hate driving the car hard, especially in corners -breaks traction easily.

Now on to the original posting. I plan on tracking the car this coming spring; I joined the Porsche Club. What do some of you experienced owners/weekend racers suggest. I have two sets of wheels, so I'm thinking street legal race tires for the track wheels and (fill in the blank) tires for day to day driving. I'd like a summer tire with sticky compound. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Saudin801; 01-18-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Saudin801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Pat

Based on how this is written I'm guessing you're not really racing the car. I'd suggest searching the performance forum and The Tire Rack website. Tons of great info there.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #3

My apologies, I'm basically looking for some good performing regular street tires, sort of like the tires I had on the car prior to mounting the Kumhos.

I've searched TireRack, mainly read some of the reviews and there is a lot of conflicting information. I read a lot on the Michelins I had on the car (I think) and other users experiences didn't match mine. There are way too many options out there. I'm willing to fork out extra cash as long as I get something worthwhile. I've heard good things on the Direzza Z1 Stars (mostly as track/autocross tires). How are these on Boxsters?

Were Michelin Pilot Sports OEM tires on Boxsters?
Old 01-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Yes The Dunlop Star Spec has excellent grip wet or dry. Hankook RS-3 might be a little better in the dry and sacrifice a little in the wet. Both are sticky street tires that aim for max grip, wear out pretty fast, and are known for a little more road noise at highway speeds.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:03 AM   #5

What are the best tires for a Boxster?:

Mainly consider:

1) New, quality, tires (check the codes dates)
2) Matching tires
3) Properly installed and road forced balanced
4) Properly inflated
5) How much $$$$ to you want to spend on tires??

Keep in mind, new tires require about 200-500 miles on them to "scrub"' off the mold release agents/lubricants.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudin801 View Post
Were Michelin Pilot Sports OEM tires on Boxsters?
Yes. The Pilot Sports were OEM tires on my 2006 987S in 19" size (235/35/19 and 265/35/19). These were replaced by the PS2's in about 2007. Excellent tires. Not cheap. I've gotten +20,000 miles on both sets.

An excellent replacement, and lower priced, replacements for the PS2's now (and getting great reviews from other Porsche owners, both 997 and 987 owners) are the Michelin Super Sports. See if they are available in your OEM sizes.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #7

Thanks guys, this is what I needed.

I'll look into all of these.

I don't need them to last a long time if they're sticky and predictable.
Old 01-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

The two best sticky street tires that I've used on the track were Kumho Ecsta XS and Hankook Ventus RS-3. I did 24 track days on these two sets of tires last year before I moved up to R-compound tires. The Kumho's rode a little smoother but the RS-3's had a tad more grip. Both are very predictable.

My Michelin PS2's were good on the track but became slippery/greasy feeling when they got really hot and I'd have to slow down for a few laps to let them cool a bit to get the grip to come back. Not so with the Kumho Ecsta XS or Hankook Ventus RS-3.

My car is completely stock but does have a performance alignment to get as much negative camber as possible.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 01-26-2012 at 02:41 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #9

I loved my Pilot Sport PS2 tires on the boxster. Fantastic daily driving tires and quite good for the occasional autox. I just put on some Star Specs this year to try something new on the box, they are incredibly grippy! I would not hesitate to go back to the PS2's or even the newer Pilot supersports (if they came in the size I need).

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #10

Purchased set of Hoosier R6s as my dedicated track tires. Almost got the A6s but since I'll be doing track and autocross I decided R6s would be more suitable.

As far as regular street/performance tires I purchased PS2s, rears only.

PS If anybody needs snow tires check out the classifieds, mounted on non-staggered BBS replica LMs.:dance:
Old 01-20-2012, 05:06 AM   #11

Check this thread for more tire opinions, and my quick Super Sport review.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/9058-tyre-best.html
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel View Post
I loved my Pilot Sport PS2 tires on the boxster. Fantastic daily driving tires and quite good for the occasional autox. I just put on some Star Specs this year to try something new on the box, they are incredibly grippy! I would not hesitate to go back to the PS2's or even the newer Pilot supersports (if they came in the size I need).
Agree, PS2's are fantastic tires. But they don't grip nearly as well as the Kumho XS or the Hankook RS-3 on a dry race track.
1979 911 SC
Old 01-24-2012, 06:16 PM   #13

I really like the Dunlop StarSpec. They work great for both autocross and track days in my experience - hard to beat for all round duty. But - be warned they make a lot of noise.

On the rare occasion the wife rides in the 986, she calls it the "desert racer" as the tires make that rythmic noise from the desert racers on Star Wars Episode 1, or 2, or was it 0?

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAP1DOUG View Post
I really like the Dunlop StarSpec. They work great for both autocross and track days in my experience - hard to beat for all round duty. But - be warned they make a lot of noise.

On the rare occasion the wife rides in the 986, she calls it the "desert racer" as the tires make that rythmic noise from the desert racers on Star Wars Episode 1, or 2, or was it 0?
Desert Racer sounds, sweet, sounds like all the more reason to buy them.

I've heard great things about the Star Specs just about everywhere. I might get them next time around but for the time being R6s will do and PS2 should give me what I need around town.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:17 AM   #15

Garage
I would recommend looking at Continental's "contact" line of performance tires, along with Nitto's .
Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to ryanwise
Read TRire Rack's review of the Sumitomo ZIII. Hands down the best tire for the money.
ryanwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #17
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwise View Post
Read TRire Rack's review of the Sumitomo ZIII. Hands down the best tire for the money.
Good tire for the money but no where near the dry grip as some of the other tires mentioned.

Sumitomo ZIII = 0.92g
Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec = 0.97g
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 = 0.98g
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 = 0.99g
Kumho Ecsta XS = 1.01g
Michelin Pilot Super Sport = 1.07g

References:
Tires : Test Results : The Tire Rack

Tires: Test Results : The Tire Rack

1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 01-26-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #18
'00 Boxster S Carbon Grey

Hi All,

Is it necessary to buy the tyre with "N6", "N1"... etc which is dedicated for Porsche ?

I found Pilot Super Sport still not yet got the "N" mark.
ed.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:06 AM   #19

There's definately varied opinions on this, but I don't care about the "N".

I just had a set of Pilot Super Sport tires installed, and they're fantastic, even compared to the PS2's they replaced. A good deal more grip, even below 50 degrees.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #20
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudin801 View Post
Purchased set of Hoosier R6s as my dedicated track tires. Almost got the A6s but since I'll be doing track and autocross I decided R6s would be more suitable.
R6 is a great tire for a very experienced driver on a well developed suspension. A good choice for National Time Trial competition. You will get tons of grip and they will probably be gone in two weekends. On stock suspension the R6 tires will be corded in a few hours at the track.

Last edited by Topless; 03-11-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote