Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2007, 05:37 AM   #1

Question Fender Liner removal

Any tips on removing the front drivers side fender liner? Do the clips pull straight out or need to be twisted out? Will they break in removal and need replaceing and if so can they be had from Advanced Auto or only a Porsche dealer? I need to get into the back of the headlight in order to plug in the damn thing. This is becoming more of a nightmare than an upgrade and any advice I can get will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Frustrated 986geezer

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:51 AM   #2

I just removed my lining a few weeks ago to take off my bumper. They pull straight out, and yes, they can break. I broke most of mine. I didn't check if auto parts stores carry them, I went straight to the Porsche dealer. They weren't too expensive if I remember right....something like 20 cents a piece. I had to pull pretty hard to get some of them out....but be prepared to replace them all. The liner is also "tucked" behind the lip of the bumper. I had to remove the liner so I could disconnect the side marker lens (there are some bumper screws around the side lens area). I didnt take the entire liner out...I just took out the clips nearest the front of the liner and pulled it down as best I could to reach the side marker. It sounds like you will need to remove most (if not all) of the clips to get to the headlight plug.

But I suggest buying new clips.
porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 07:08 AM   #3

Special tool to remove the plastic rivets....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #4

Red face Bravo Tool Pants

Yessir Tool Pants, you are a man of many talents and a member of many lists. I managed to carefully pry out all of the plug/rivets without breaking a one and that is a BIG first for me. I took out the liner and it looks like I will have enough room to hand push the plug onto the light housing. I am going to try to determine why this side is so hard to line up and push in as opposed to the opposite which went in and out like a breeze. I don't relish removing the liner etc. when I have to change bulbs but reality is a harsh master. I will report back my 'success' ? ! ?! ? when and if it occurs. This is my last idea of how to deal with this short of at trip to the dealer with all that it entails.

986geezer holding out for hope........with apprehension
Old 03-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #5

Voila!!!

Tool Pants and all. Lights are now in and working. There is plenty of room by loosing and lowering the fender liner to hand push the electrical connector onto the headlight housing. I think the tension of the connection will suffice to keep it from working back out and loosen over bumps and time but that remains to be seen. I will let you know if this occurs but it seems that the strength of the connection is pretty tight.

What have I learned from this exercise: If possible have someone who has done a light exchange nearby to guide you through the first episode. They can point out where the 'tracks' are that you need to set the guide studs into before pushing back as this is where I think I went wrong in the first place. Do NOT force back or snap the lock into place until the light is aligned with the fender. Yes, you have more than enough room to put your hand in the the back of the light well if you drop the fender liner. Fender liner is not a bear to loosen and remove and I will be putting up a supply of the fasteners the next time I am near the dealership. I learned more about the Boxcar than I set out know but at least I solved (I hope!) the problem.

986geezer, enjoying a Courvoisier in celebration of my great victory over technology.......I will have the cigar tomorrow after I replace the liner and wheel. :dance: