Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #1

Porsche Ferrier

So, I just received my "local" Zeitung from the Intermountain Region/PCA and they had a blurb about the new Porsche Ferrier. Basically, it is a Porsche El Camino. Has anyone else heard about this? According to the article, they will be available at the dealerships on April 1st.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:54 PM   #2

A what??

(12345678910)

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #3

Hmmm. April 1st. April Fool's Day. Hmmm.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Travis
You mean like this "CorveLmino" or would it be a El Corvetteo???

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #5

Here is the story as written by Eric Flynn:

"Did somebody say NASCAR? With the numbers of Porsche drivers who enjoy boating, horse-back riding, motorcycling, or just like to haul their kids and in-laws to Wal-mart on Friday night, it was inevitable that there would be an addition to the line. The very first sighting of the new Ferrier (apparently a word play on the name of the famous company founder and the pick-up's ability to haul large loads) have been in New Mexico.

Officials from Weissach -- who have a great fascination with Native American culture -- have hand-picked a Navajo family from over by Standing Rock to test one on their ranch and they've been using it since last September. According to various "sources" they styling and drive-train are unique to the heritage, incorporating a number of themes already in use. The front end is unmistakably inspired by the SUV. There is a 4.5 liter, conventionally aspirated V-8 and a truck version of the GT's 5.7 turbo-charged V-10. First versions will be gas powered, but will eventually convert to the ever more popular French0fry oil (Chalk up on for the environmentalists!).

Front wheel drive with rear wheel steering is the most radical design element on the hauler (notice the turned rear wheels in the photo), along with a solar-assisted ceramic braking system. Kentucky blue-grass hay bales or a carbon-fiber Lazy-Boy in the bed are optional, but the titanium gun-rack is standard.

A little calling around to the PCA newsleter spy network confirmed a launch date New Mexico. Apparently, the CEO, board, and the entire family (yes, that family) are coming to New Mexico early this spring for the unveiling. It'll be in the center atrium of the famous Algodones Civic Center, precisely at 11:59 midnight of March 31 of this year. And they'll be available in all the dealer-ships so you can buy one on April 1. See you in line!"

Believe it or not!

*L* The picture is too funny! I'm trying to access my photobucket but due to lags it may have to wait.

Last edited by cfos; 02-14-2007 at 04:08 PM.
cfos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #6

This must be the test mule.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #7

That's a better pic than the one I have (and can't seem to load). Too funny. Usually, I don't get much out of the Intermountain mag, but this article was good.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
You mean like this "CorveLmino" or would it be a El Corvetteo???
El Corvetto where have you been my whole life?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Actually there is a porsche/truck looking thing in switzerland, the people at rennsport or renn something made it. seen it on discovery channel

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #10

Hi,

Porsche has talked about a pick-up for years. Whatever, they are increasingly not the company they have been for 50 years, diluting the brand tremendously all the while pretending not to...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:39 PM   #11
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Porsche has talked about a pick-up for years. Whatever, they are increasingly not the company they have been for 50 years, diluting the brand tremendously all the while pretending not to...

Yeah, what's next, a front drive Lotus or a Lamborghini SUV or a 4 door Maserati or...oh...

Auto manufacturers are continually trying out new markets. It's nothing new. Some see it as dilution, others see it as survival.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:51 PM   #12

This won't be Porsche's first venture into the truck business. Check out this little sedan delivery from the early years...

April Fools.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 08:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Yeah, what's next, a front drive Lotus or a Lamborghini SUV or a 4 door Maserati or...oh...

Auto manufacturers are continually trying out new markets. It's nothing new. Some see it as dilution, others see it as survival.
Hi,

Darwinism - what a concept! Some things maybe should pass to the Ages rather than seeing their greatness fade incrementally away instead...

Old 02-15-2007, 04:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Darwinism - what a concept! Some things maybe should pass to the Ages rather than seeing their greatness fade incrementally away instead...

Actually, the "throw some new s**t on the wall and see how it sticks" concept is exactly how evolution works -- random mutation followed by natural selection. If the amoeba thought it was the best thing since sliced bread and looked down on stupid mutations, we wouldn't be here pontificating. So I say, let the designers experiment (mutation) and the free markets decide (selection). It's the only way.

Z.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Ack, I didn't have enough coffee this morning. Please disregard my deleted post.

What was the FWD Lotus? I am unaware of it.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
This must be the test mule.
That isn't any type of Porsche prototype. That's a Honda Del-sole with a modified back. Ugly and stupid as hell.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:43 AM   #17
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
Ack, I didn't have enough coffee this morning. Please disregard my deleted post.

The second coming of the Elan.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill

Hi,

The M100 (new Elan). Produced jointly by Lotus, GM, and Isuzu when the General owned them both. It was the last project (X100) that Colin Chapman had a direct hand in, albeit slight, as he died in late 1983.

It was a hand-made low production two seater. While it never really caught on, it was a pretty nice car. Very reliable and easy to maintain.

Had an initial issue with the CAS (Cam Angle Sensor), but these were corrected on production models and through recall. The only other real issue was that the top tended to leak, not a lot, but annoyingly so, drivers used to drape a towel across their lap because the leak was at the winshield header - known as Wet Thigh Syndrome.

It was a front mid-engine design, transverse DOC in-line turbocharged 1.6L 4 cyl. producing 162BHP and 148 ft.lbs. of torque, with a maximum boost of 9.7PSI or 0.65BAR. It was also available as an NA model to ROW, not the US. The block was from Isuzu, but Lotus created a special twin cam head, crank, pistons, intake (using the same technology they (Lotus) developed for their creation of the Corvette ZR-1 Motor - LT5 for GM) and exhaust.

With a Curb Weight of 2,422lbs., the Elan went from 0-60 in 6.2 sec. and a Top Speed of 137 MPH (220KPH).

Lotus produced 3,855 M100 Elans in total with only 539 being imported to the US (117 of these in California Spec) between January 1990 and July 1992. Later, Bugatti bought the rights to the design, after purchasing a Lotus Factory warehouse and finding 1,200 Isuzu 1.6L Crate engines inside. They produced another 1,100 Gen II M100s from July 1994 to August 1995, though none of these were imported to the US.

I actually looked for one instead of the Boxster, but it sold out from under me and so I went ahead with the Porsche. To me, they were same-same with the M100 having a slight edge because it handles much better than the Boxster, lighter, more nimble...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 02-15-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-15-2007, 06:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
That isn't any type of Porsche prototype. That's a Honda Del-sole with a modified back. Ugly and stupid as hell.

Sadly, the vehicle previously posted started life out as a 1987 Porsche 928.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-928-1987-Porsche-928-truck_W0QQitemZ110052737324QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6432 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I had my tongue firmly placed in cheek when I made my post. Sorry if I appear to present it as the actual test mule for the "Ferrier."
Old 02-15-2007, 07:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
Sadly, the vehicle previously posted started life out as a 1987 Porsche 928.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-928-1987-Porsche-928-truck_W0QQitemZ110052737324QQihZ001QQcategoryZ6432 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I had my tongue firmly placed in cheek when I made my post. Sorry if I appear to present it as the actual test mule for the "Ferrier."
Ah yes, I can definately see it now. Poor little Porsche.

porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote