Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2007, 07:23 AM   #21

Not the best picture, sorry -- even if I scanned it, it wouldn't be too good since the mag is black and white.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:05 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

The M100 (new Elan). Produced jointly by Lotus, GM, and Isuzu when the General owned them both.

It was a hand-made low production two seater. While it never really caught on, it was a pretty nice car. Very reliable and easy to maintain.

Had an initial issue with the CAS (Cam Angle Sensor), but these were corrected on production models and through recall. The only other real issue was that the top tended to leak, not a lot, but annoyingly so, drivers used to drape a towel across their lap because the leak was at the winshield header - known as Wet Thigh Syndrome.

It was a front mid-engine design, transverse DOC in-line turbocharged 1.6L 4 cyl. producing 162BHP and 148 ft.lbs. of torque, with a maximum boost of 9.7PSI or 0.65BAR.

With a Curb Weight of 2,422lbs., the Elan went from 0-60 in 6.2 sec. and a Top Speed of 137 MPH (220KPH).

Lotus produced 3,855 M100 Elans in total with only 539 being imported to the US (117 of these in California Spec). Later, Bugatti bought the rights to the design, after purchasing a Lotus Factory wharehouse and finding 1,200 Isuzu 1.6L Crate engines inside. They produced another 1,100 Gen II M100s, though none of these were imported to the US.

I actually looked for one instead of the Boxster, but it sold out from under me and so I went ahead with the Porsche. To me, they were same-same with the M100 having a slight edge because it handles much better than the Boxster, lighter, more nimble...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Thank you for this detailed response. It was very interesting!

Blue2000, thank you for your response also.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Yeah, what's next, a front drive Lotus or a Lamborghini SUV or a 4 door Maserati or...oh...

Auto manufacturers are continually trying out new markets. It's nothing new. Some see it as dilution, others see it as survival.

Actually there is a 4-door Maserati too. Or at least a protoype that I have seen made.

The SUV killed the high end car market when Catalac introduced the Escalade. Soon after it was BMW then Porsche and Volvo and etc... Now trucks are next????? Horible. Next will be Ferrari.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:50 AM   #24

The picture looks strangely similar to my 914....I wonder if Porsche will set the price point at $3999.00? They may have to.
porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #25

Many companies are converting to the 4-door Sedan....

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschegeorg
The picture looks strangely similar to my 914....I wonder if Porsche will set the price point at $3999.00? They may have to.
Here is a Porsche 4-door. Makes me sick.
http://www.dancewithshadows.com/auto/images/porsche-panamera.jpg
Old 02-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
Actually there is a 4-door Maserati too. Or at least a protoype that I have seen made.
I was aware of the Maserati Quattroporte and the Lamborghini LM002 (even the military version), but the FWD Lotus was interesting to learn.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:57 AM   #27

Quote:
I think it is a wonderful thing - a car like that would be very useful to me. I can only imagine my Box with more power and a backseat - . At the price point I am hearing Porsche is planning their 4-door at, I am imagining that it will be an amazing car indeed.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:58 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
I think it is a wonderful thing - a car like that would be very useful to me. I can only imagine my Box with more power and a backseat - . At the price point I am hearing Porsche is planning their 4-door at, I am imagining that it will be an amazing car indeed.
Here are some better pictures for you. I hate it!
Old 02-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #29

Sigh. The development of a Porsche pickup is not as farfetch as I thought it might be.

http://www.trucktrend.com/future/spied/163_0508_volkswagen_porsche_trucks/

http://www.stern.de/sport-motor/autowelt/erlkoenige/porsche/:Porsche-Cayenne-PickUp-Laden-Rasen-/524759.html

Last edited by 98Boxster98; 02-15-2007 at 11:30 AM.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:45 AM   #30

That's just wrong!!

Ok so Lambo had Hummer type car and Merc has SUV and station wagons and their brands aren't really diminished at all. Although Merc doesn't quiet have the allure it had just a few years ago.

But a pick up has the conotation of blue collar activities.
That's a no go for the brand image Porsche is now enjoying.

A luxury sedan is a big risk I think for Porsche but it could in theory work if they make it very very expensive and give it "unmistakably Porsche" looks.
If it ends up looking like a Lexus with a Porsche crest on the hood it won't work.
Now if it looks truly exotic like a Quatroporte Maserati with a Porsche crest that will definitely make some more dough and maintain the brand image.

so no on the pick up and low cost anything...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:47 AM   #31

Gotta love Alta-Vista. I translated the German text under the picture of the Porsche Pickup. This is what it came back with:

"The Cayenne alone is already an absurdity: Hochbeinig like a jeep, but motorizes like a Racer. On the four-wheel insanity one can still draufsetzen, if one wegflext the rear cab. Cool ones, now must still specially-strong straps on board, so that the rasenmaeher does not fly with accelerating from the loading area"

Glad to know one can still draufsetzen if one wegflext the rear cab! lol...

Old 02-15-2007, 12:42 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
That's just wrong!!

A luxury sedan is a big risk I think for Porsche but it could in theory work if they make it very very expensive and give it "unmistakably Porsche" looks.
If it ends up looking like a Lexus with a Porsche crest on the hood it won't work.
Now if it looks truly exotic like a Quatroporte Maserati with a Porsche crest that will definitely make some more dough and maintain the brand image.

so no on the pick up and low cost anything...
How come no one ever looks at the links I post? Here is the picture that was in the link that I posted earlier. It looks like an elongated Viper to me. With an extra door. The shape is cool, but the whole concept should NEVER have been attempted to begin with. NO 4-DOOR PORSCHES!!!!! I think this is the death of the sports car.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:49 PM   #33

Quote:
How come no one ever looks at the links I post? Here is the picture that was in the link that I posted earlier. It looks like an elongated Viper to me. With an extra door. The shape is cool, but the whole concept should NEVER have been attempted to begin with. NO 4-DOOR PORSCHES!!!!! I think this is the death of the sports car.
See, I look at this in a different way:

Some times people need a car with 4 doors due to whatever reason. I think this is a much better direction for a 4 door than an SUV or the current trend of tall cabins, high seating position, and FWD.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:52 PM   #34

That Lotus Elan was also made as a Kia in its later years... ouch.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:13 PM   #35

Quote:

There have been more recent spy shots of the Panawhatever (N-Ring I think)....its been significantly toned down from the concept photos. I'm guessing building a car that looks remotely anything like those concepts photo shops what cost at least $300K. That defeats the point of cashing in on popular sedan like Porsche cashed in on the SUV.
The spy shot car didn't seem inspiring to me at all, like another Lexus. But then again it may be only one of more working concepts.

If I were a Porsche Company dude I would come up with a game plan to spin off a new car company with a New brand name and Crest design. Maybe call it Hockhenheim Motors, Rennsport Ltd., Schumacher & Co.,..whatever, get David Beckham to be the spokesman for some cheesy Euro Glam appeal. But It would be strictly to build very high end Sedans and GT's all starting at $150K.
The Luxury brand of Porsche if you will. You've got to strike while the whatever is hot!!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 02-15-2007 at 01:20 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Yeah, what's next, a front drive Lotus or a Lamborghini SUV or a 4 door Maserati or...oh...
Actually the former owner of my 986 replaced it with a 4dr Maserati.
Cinnimon Brown Interior
[IMG]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...terPix3001.jpgIMG]
bnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:15 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
If I were a Porsche Company dude I would come up with a game plan to spin off a new car company with a New brand name and Crest design. Maybe call it Hockhenheim Motors, Rennsport Ltd., Schumacher & Co.,..whatever, get David Beckham to be the spokesman for some cheesy Euro Glam appeal. But It would be strictly to build very high end Sedans and GT's all starting at $150K.
The Luxury brand of Porsche if you will. You've got to strike while the whatever is hot!!
Yeah, that is probably the smart thing to do - would protect Porsche's brand identity. They should sell the Cayenne under that brand too.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
That Lotus Elan was also made as a Kia in its later years... ouch.

Hi,

Ouch? That's ignorant. The Kia Elan was produced by Kia from 1996 to 1997. It was a licensed copy of Lotus Type M100 Elan, which was built from 1989 to 1995.

After the final production run of the Lotus Elan in 1995, Kia began manufacturing their own version under license. The Kia version is identical to the original. The biggest difference is the 1.8 liter, 151 hp NA engine Kia used in place of Lotus 1.6 liter, DOC Turbocharged 162 hp Isuzu engine.

The Elan made by Kia was never imported here, but Lotus North America had one in Atlanta, which I drove. It is identical to the Lotus M100, except for the power delivery which due to the NA lower power engine, really gelded it. But, the manufacture, Fit & Finish and quality of components were all top knotch.

Lots of companies make cars under license from the original creator. Lotus spun the M100 off because they, and their current parent - Maylaysia's National Automobile Enterprise - Proton, wanted their production facility back to produce the Elise and fulfill a contract with GM to manufacture the Vauxhall VX220, VXR220, and Opel Speedster. This is not at all unusual.

BMW in fact, started in the Car business by producing a licensed version of the Austin 7. Kia is an excellent manufacturer with a very high customer satisfaction rating. The fact that they choose to build mid-end economy cars shouldn't be construed as a sign of inferiority...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Ouch? That's ignorant. The Kia Elan was produced by Kia from 1996 to 1997. It was a licensed copy of Lotus Type M100 Elan, which was built from 1989 to 1995.

After the final production run of the Lotus Elan in 1995, Kia began manufacturing their own version under license. The Kia version is identical to the original. The biggest difference is the 1.8 liter, 151 hp NA engine Kia used in place of Lotus 1.6 liter, DOC Turbocharged 162 hp Isuzu engine.

The Elan made by Kia was never imported here, but Lotus North America had one in Atlanta, which I drove. It is identical to the Lotus M100, except for the power delivery which due to the NA lower power engine, really gelded it. But, the manufacture, Fit & Finish and quality of components were all top knotch.

Lots of companies make cars under license from the original creator. Lotus spun the M100 off because they, and their current parent - Maylaysia's National Automobile Enterprise - Proton, wanted their production facility back to produce the Elise and fulfill a contract with GM to manufacture the Vauxhall VX220, VXR220, and Opel Speedster. This is not at all unusual.

BMW in fact, started in the Car business by producing a licensed version of the Austin 7. Kia is an excellent manufacturer with a very high customer satisfaction rating. The fact that they choose to build mid-end economy cars shouldn't be construed as a sign of inferiority...

Did you know that the new Lotus Espre???(spelling not sure) has a Toyota Celica GTS engine! It's not that powerfull, but it is a very light car.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:34 PM   #40

I really do hope the Panamera looks more like the concept. I realize that the actual production model must change to accomodate reality but in some cases, such as the Boxster, the prototype remains the most desirable to me.

Some of these supposed Panamera snapshots are just plain scary:

98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote