Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2004, 01:52 PM   #1

Tailights Swap

I have a 98 and I'm looking for instructions to swap out the tailights with the clear top, red bottom lights on the newer models. I did a search and didn't come up with any results. Can someone please direct me to where I can get instructions as well as prices for swapping the tailights. thanks.

acf53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:07 PM   #2
Regional Moderator

It's really easy. Just look for the black plastic caps over the carpet and gently pull back. The carpeted pieces are designed to be moved, because this is how you replace the lamps.

Then its just 2 nuts around the threaded shafts of the tailight. Take them out and the whole thing will slide out of the back of the car. The hardest part is getting some kind of wrench to the outer nut on each one.
CharlesGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:19 PM   #3

I would like to make one correction; there are four nuts [8mm] retaining the tailights.

If you open your trunk and look far over either left [harder] or right [easier] you will see the above mentioned flat looking washers or retainers.

Unscrew those with your hands, and you should [with light] see the four little nuts holding the tailights in.

There will also be a clip [white buss] which is what holds your bulbs into the tailights.

If you are swapping from the stock amber light's to the white and red. There will be a difference in the light bulb holder, which will nullify a set of lights.

Scott
mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:21 AM   #4

thanks. Do you guys know where I can purchase them for the best price ?

Dave

acf53 is offline   Reply With Quote