Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 09:27 AM   #1

I bet you have a shiny new spare key as a result of this?

Since your detailing guy did it, you can't take this personally, but I consider cars with keyless entry to be 'idiot-proof'... because you REALLY have to be, uhh... stupid... to lock your keys in the car. However, of course, the trunks to present a little of an exception... I think I set my key down in the rear trunk once already, and thought 'if I close this, I might not be able to get my key out!' Luckily the driver's door was open, as I was doing some cleaning in the car.

I still do need to get a spare key... or at least a complete new key with remote, so I can relegate my current well worn key to backup duty.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:36 AM   #2

Fray,
I am with you on that one... how the hell do you lock a key in the trunk of the car? The detailer claims that the car "locked itself" . If anyone has ever had their car do this, let me know. I believe that he probably hit the lock button trying to unlock the rear hatch. After the hatch opened, he was so proud of himself that he found the right button, he forgot that he had already locked the rest of the car. Duh.

I suppose that I will get a spare key some time soon.
He should clean the car again for me some time for free.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I don't know the exact details of why, but I've noticed that when I use the fob to open the bonnet or boot, then close either one without opening the car doors the car locks itself again. That's how I locked the key in the bonnet. *shrug*

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 12:31 PM   #4

I know thieves and vandals can get in with a sharp knife, But didn't know it was THAT easy to get in otherwise. Glad to know the technique. Sooooo sorry that sooooo many others know it also.

Wonder if slim jims work? Why bother I guess.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
Fray,
I am with you on that one... how the hell do you lock a key in the trunk of the car? The detailer claims that the car "locked itself" . If anyone has ever had their car do this, let me know. I believe that he probably hit the lock button trying to unlock the rear hatch. After the hatch opened, he was so proud of himself that he found the right button, he forgot that he had already locked the rest of the car. Duh.

I suppose that I will get a spare key some time soon.
He should clean the car again for me some time for free.
Hi,

If the fob is used to unlock the doors, and the door isn't physically opened within 60sec., the whole system re-locks and re-arms. So, it's quite possible that the detailer was correct...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:10 PM   #6

That's gotta be it Jim. I figured you would have an explanation. It is a "dumb smart" system. The good news is that it is possible and quite easy to "break into" the Boxster without causing any physical damage.
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
It's the same for all cars, locks are for honest people.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #8

It could have been worse

You actually got lucky.
Almost the same happened to me last year when I was at Porscheplatz parking at the American LeMans race in Laguna Seca.
I opened the rear trunk to throw in my jacket (it was a nice and sunny day). Unfortunately I also threw in the keys...
I closed the trunk and the car auto-locked itself after 30 seconds.
In my case after AAA had opened the doors I was still out of luck as the car had sensed that it was "broken into" and disabled ALL buttons. So I could NOT open the rear trunk and get to the keys. (And the alarm was blaring to everyone's annoyance). Did I mention that I also locked my wallet and my cell phone in the trunk?
Long story short: I finally found a very nice Porsche owner (Gerry from Santa Barbara) to drive me from Laguna to my home in San Carlos (where I had my spare key) and back to Laguna.
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
That's gotta be it Jim. I figured you would have an explanation. It is a "dumb smart" system. The good news is that it is possible and quite easy to "break into" the Boxster without causing any physical damage.

Well,

The Airwaves are getting crowded with electronic devices and the system has a Fail-Safe in case a Garage Door Opener, Airliner, or other Car Fob accidentally opens your car inadvertently. It re-locks and re-arms after 60sec. to keep you protected...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #10

Unhappy Keys Locked in Boxster Front Storage (Bonnett?)

My first post and already, I have done something really dumb!! I locked my keys in the front storage area and I do not have a spare. I just bought the car a week ago and had a spare key on my list, but did not get it done. Anyway, a locksmith was able to get the door open, but the neither the front or rear lid will open.

It is an '03. Is there any way I can get the switches to work (some kind of reset) or is there some sort of emergency release or access? The lights, stereo and locks all work fine.

Thanks for any help you can offer. One day I'll tell the whole story so you can all laugh your butts off.

clamem
clamem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:58 AM   #11

My lock-out story

This didn't happen in my Boxster, but I think I have everyone beat in the "stupid lock-out stories."

A few years ago I was meeting my wife after I got off of work at a funeral. I called her as I was driving there and told her I needed to change into my suit and I would meet her inside in about 15 mins. When I got there, I pulled in and parked all the way in the back where I could be hidden from view since I planned on changing in the vehicle. I was driving my (then) company car, a Ford mini van, and got in the back and changed. I didn't close the sliding door completely, just one click so it was ajar.

After I finished changing, I went to get out----------and that is when I realized the child safety locks had been set and I was locked in the back of the van. My keys were with me but my mobile phone was in the front of the van (which was isolated from the rear by a metal mesh screen.) After about 15 mins, I had broken both inside handles in frustration trying to get out and now I was sweating profusely since in was mid-July in Florida. I stripped down to my underwear and undershirt as I planned my next move. My phone kept ringing (my wife) but I couldn't get to it. I kept hoping she would come out to look for me but hadn’t up to this point. By now I did care if I destroyed the van as long as I could get out. I started slamming my shoulder against the rear of the sliding door and every time my shoulder would hit the van, a different swear word would leave my mouth as I vented my frustration. Eventually the sliding ball joint gave up and I was able to bend the door far enough out to exit the van.

I'm sure it was a funny sight to see the van rocking back and forth, the door eventually bending out, and a half naked very sweaty and mad person exit. I was able to snap the door back into place enough to open it and proceeded to redress. Just as I was tying my tie, my wife finally came out to check on me. She was mad that I was over an hour late and I was mad that she did not come out earlier to check on me. After she found out what had happened she was no longer mad but found it entertaining that I was stupid enough to get locked IN my vehicle.

We have owned several cars with safety locks on them since then and the first thing I did was to make sure they were NOT set (we don't have kids yet.)

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote