Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2007, 08:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUDIOGUY
That's gotta be it Jim. I figured you would have an explanation. It is a "dumb smart" system. The good news is that it is possible and quite easy to "break into" the Boxster without causing any physical damage.

Well,

The Airwaves are getting crowded with electronic devices and the system has a Fail-Safe in case a Garage Door Opener, Airliner, or other Car Fob accidentally opens your car inadvertently. It re-locks and re-arms after 60sec. to keep you protected...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 02:31 PM   #22

Unhappy Keys Locked in Boxster Front Storage (Bonnett?)

My first post and already, I have done something really dumb!! I locked my keys in the front storage area and I do not have a spare. I just bought the car a week ago and had a spare key on my list, but did not get it done. Anyway, a locksmith was able to get the door open, but the neither the front or rear lid will open.

It is an '03. Is there any way I can get the switches to work (some kind of reset) or is there some sort of emergency release or access? The lights, stereo and locks all work fine.

Thanks for any help you can offer. One day I'll tell the whole story so you can all laugh your butts off.

clamem
clamem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 03:58 AM   #23

My lock-out story

This didn't happen in my Boxster, but I think I have everyone beat in the "stupid lock-out stories."

A few years ago I was meeting my wife after I got off of work at a funeral. I called her as I was driving there and told her I needed to change into my suit and I would meet her inside in about 15 mins. When I got there, I pulled in and parked all the way in the back where I could be hidden from view since I planned on changing in the vehicle. I was driving my (then) company car, a Ford mini van, and got in the back and changed. I didn't close the sliding door completely, just one click so it was ajar.

After I finished changing, I went to get out----------and that is when I realized the child safety locks had been set and I was locked in the back of the van. My keys were with me but my mobile phone was in the front of the van (which was isolated from the rear by a metal mesh screen.) After about 15 mins, I had broken both inside handles in frustration trying to get out and now I was sweating profusely since in was mid-July in Florida. I stripped down to my underwear and undershirt as I planned my next move. My phone kept ringing (my wife) but I couldn't get to it. I kept hoping she would come out to look for me but hadn’t up to this point. By now I did care if I destroyed the van as long as I could get out. I started slamming my shoulder against the rear of the sliding door and every time my shoulder would hit the van, a different swear word would leave my mouth as I vented my frustration. Eventually the sliding ball joint gave up and I was able to bend the door far enough out to exit the van.

I'm sure it was a funny sight to see the van rocking back and forth, the door eventually bending out, and a half naked very sweaty and mad person exit. I was able to snap the door back into place enough to open it and proceeded to redress. Just as I was tying my tie, my wife finally came out to check on me. She was mad that I was over an hour late and I was mad that she did not come out earlier to check on me. After she found out what had happened she was no longer mad but found it entertaining that I was stupid enough to get locked IN my vehicle.

We have owned several cars with safety locks on them since then and the first thing I did was to make sure they were NOT set (we don't have kids yet.)

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:19 PM   #24

Think You have Me Beat, But...

So... I pick up my "new to me" 03 boxster and enjoy driving it all over DFW for week while on vacation. When we were ready to head home to TN, I followed my wife over to the u-haul place to rent an auto transport.

I got the car on the trailer and strapped down, when the u-haul guy asked me where he was supposed to put the safety chains. There was not place exposed under the car, so I got out the manual. It showed the info on the tow hook, so I went to find it in the front hood. After seeing how it worked, I knew the chain would mess up my paint and noticed that the recommended method was to run tie downs (ratchet tow straps) through the rims. In a hurry to get down to the auto parts store and on the highway, I threw everything in the front trunk, including my keys. I knew as soon as I shut it.

I first called Porsche roadside assistance to leverage my one remaining week of coverage. They told me the only thing I could do was have the car towed to a local dealer and send off for a new key.

I called several locksmiths, most were unwilling to even try. I finally got one who was able to get in the car, but apparently the car recognized the break in and disabled the front and rear trunk openers.

I was now faced with my car being stuck on a rental trailer, no way to get it off and a possible 10 day wait for a $300 key. Ugly!!!

It was looking like this car was already going to cost me a bunch of money and none of it was for problems or mods.

Anyway, after finding a link in a related post, I went to a posting on the renttech site and found a solution on how to use the emergency release. The solution required that I remove the front tire.

So... I went to wally-world, bought 2 jackstands, a hydaulic jack, 2 wheel chocks and a lug wrench. I used the jack stands under the front and one side of the trailer to ensure it wouldn't tip. I used the hydrualic jack on the same side of the car I was going to jack up, as I knew the weight shift would cause the trailer to move. I used on wheel chock on the trailer and one on the car.

Sure enough, as I jacked up the car a little, the trailer tilted back a little. So... I jacked up the trailer with the hydraulic jack to compensate. I continued to do this until the car was high enough to remove the wheel. This allowed me to remove the necessary parts to get to the emergency release and finally get my key.

All I can say is thank you for these forums!! Long story, but still does not beat busting out of the mini van in your boxers.
clamem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:15 AM   #25

use your cell phone to unlock your car.

Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come

in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If

you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at

home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your

cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your

car door and have the person at your home press the unlock

button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end.

Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive

your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be

hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other
"remote"

for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk ).

porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 10:59 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer
Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come

in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If

you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at

home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your

cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your

car door and have the person at your home press the unlock

button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end.

Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive

your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be

hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other
"remote"

for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk ).

Urban Legend... Cell phones transmit audio waves perceived by their microphone not radio waves which your keyless entry system uses. They are not created equally.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 12:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamem
Long story, but still does not beat busting out of the mini van in your boxers.

I wish I had boxers that day. Tidy whities FTW! ( **Note** I had to put that second line in to make sure no one guessed, incorrectly of course, a different type of underwear)

At least my ordeal was over after an hour and didn't cost me any money. So, in some ways, you were worse off.

00' Boxster S, 00' E46 BMW - DD, 03' LR Disco - Wife's car, '84 300ZX turbo - owned for over 22 years, 82' 911 SC - Gone but not forgotten
Rob-00BoxsterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #28

how to open your locked car with a tennis ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
Urban Legend... Cell phones transmit audio waves perceived by their microphone not radio waves which your keyless entry system uses. They are not created equally.
check this one out...http://www.nothingtoxic.com/media/1170481334/How_to_Open_Your_Locked_Door_with_a_Tennis_Ball

porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote