Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #1
Porscheectomy

Installed an Optima Battery, different method

I got an optima 34R battery yesterday to replace my failing stock battery. I figured out a way to secure the battery to the tray without having to make the popular adapter plate.

The Boxster's battery tray has 9 holes in it. 5 are down the center of the tray in the long direction, 3 of them are threaded for the locking bracket and two are through holes at the ends of the plate. The 4 others are for mounting the tray to the chassis.

The Optima battery has flanges at the lower short ends for mounting, just like the Porsche part does. The problem is that the Optima battery is too short to match any of the threaded holes in the tray correctly and placing it all the way over to the driver's side like the stock battery makes the positive terminal too far away for the cables to reach. The Optima needs to sit about centered on the battery tray for both cable to reach the terminals.

The Optima comes with some mounting brackets, one of which functions exactly the same way as the stock steel tie-down bracket, it grabs the flanges at the edges of the battery. So now I have two tie down brackets that will grab the flanges of the battery.

Test fitting showed that if I used the Optima tie down in the extra hole on the driver's side, I just needed to extend the tie down on the passenger side to grab the passenger side flange of the battery due to the hole locations. I made a 4" by 2" plate of 1/8" aluminum, turned the hold down around so it would grab the aluminum plate properly, and screwed everything down. The driver's side bracket is held in place with a stainless button head screw, washer and nut.

Everything is very tightly held down, the battery posts are at the same height as stock and it all cost about $1.50 in extra stainless steel hardware.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/bellylint/optima_install/HPIM0609.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/bellylint/optima_install/HPIM0605.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/bellylint/optima_install/HPIM0606.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/bellylint/optima_install/HPIM0607.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y37/bellylint/optima_install/HPIM0608.jpg

Last edited by blue2000s; 02-08-2007 at 04:49 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:24 PM   #2

Thanks for buying the Optima battery. My JCI (Johnson Controls Inc) stock is over $95 and it's because of good people like you.
Heated Seats / Cruise
Traction Control / Factory Hardtop
Bumper Plugs / Zaino Z2 Z6 Z8
jci-joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jci-joe
Thanks for buying the Optima battery. My JCI (Johnson Controls Inc) stock is over $95 and it's because of good people like you.
Build a quality product at a reasonable price and they'll come.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:14 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Travis
OMG! Someone stole your CD changer!!

You should move the thread over to the DIY section, good job!

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:17 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis
OMG! Someone stole your CD changer!!

You should move the thread over to the DIY section, good job!

I went the IPOD route instead.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:50 AM   #6

I keep telling you guys that there is a plastic adaptor tray that is FREE when you purchase the battery. You hust have to ask for it. The place selling the battery will not know if you need it unless you ask for it. I will post some pictures of what it looks like. By the way, the Red Top is great, but the Yellow Top would have been the better choice for our cars. Any car that uses an electric top will benifit more from the Yellow Top.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
bmussatti

Porsche986spyder, how much should the "red" top and "yellow" tops cost, retail? Thanks.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:05 AM   #8
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche986spyder
I keep telling you guys that there is a plastic adaptor tray that is FREE when you purchase the battery. You hust have to ask for it. The place selling the battery will not know if you need it unless you ask for it. I will post some pictures of what it looks like. By the way, the Red Top is great, but the Yellow Top would have been the better choice for our cars. Any car that uses an electric top will benifit more from the Yellow Top.
This way the battery isn't raised 3/8" as it would have to be with an adapter tray. It sits at the same height as the stock battery.

Unfortunately, they don't make a reversed pole yellow top so a + cable extension would be required.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:06 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Porsche986spyder, how much should the "red" top and "yellow" tops cost, retail? Thanks.
Retail is about $170 for either. I got mine from Remy battery on ebay for $120.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
This way the battery isn't raised 3/8" as it would have to be with an adapter tray. It sits at the same height as the stock battery.

Unfortunately, they don't make a reversed pole yellow top so a + cable extension would be required.
Can't you just flip the battery around so that it faces the other way? So your pos. & neg. are on the correct side?
Old 02-09-2007, 07:17 AM   #11
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Can't you just flip the battery around so that it faces the other way? So your pos. & neg. are on the correct side?
The positive cable isn't long enough to reach the post if you do that. It comes from the fire wall of the passenger compartment. I have a non-reversed battery that I tried first, it doesn't work.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Retail is about $170 for either. I got mine from Remy battery on ebay for $120.
Should not cost that much retail. More like $135-145. With my employee discount I can get it for $117.00 plus tax.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:30 AM   #13

Quote:
The positive cable isn't long enough to reach the post if you do that. It comes from the fire wall of the passenger compartment. I have a non-reversed battery that I tried first, it doesn't work.
Okay, I'll have to take your word for it then. I'll have to definately look into this more.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #14
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Should not cost that much retail. More like $135-145. With my employee discount I can get it for $117.00 plus tax.
Batteries plus sells for retail

http://www.batteriesplus.com/c-93-optima-batteries.aspx
Old 02-09-2007, 07:37 AM   #15
Porscheectomy

Quote:
The only advantage of the yellow top that I'm aware of is it's ability to take repeated run-downs (deep cycle). Unless there's another benefit, I don't see how that helps with a convertable.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:01 AM   #16

Quote:
The only advantage of the yellow top that I'm aware of is it's ability to take repeated run-downs (deep cycle). Unless there's another benefit, I don't see how that helps with a convertable.
Well, let me put it this way then. If you have an amplifier and a really powerfull and nice stereo set up system, along with the top being used all the time it's going to take a toll on your battery, the Red Top is great, don't get me wrong, I only say the Yellow Top is better because most people that are into their cars have added expensive stereos and amplifiers. I originally started with the Red-Top in my car but switched to the Yellow because of my amplifiier and stereo. If your car is running while you put your top up or down the Red Top should be fine. If you open and close your top at car shows, like I do sometimes without the engine running, then I would sugest the yellow top. Here is a direct link to the Optima Yellow Top benifits.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive/deep_cycle.html

Last edited by porsche986spyder; 02-09-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #17

Zip Ties...

I just used a bunch of Zip ties and daisy-chained them under(Boxster battery tray) and over the top of the battery. Holds in place well. It isn't the most attractive, but it's cheap and easy. It all gets covered up by the battery cover/plastic lid anyway. If you ever need to remove it for any reason. Just cut the zip ties and your done.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #18
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Well, let me put it this way then. If you have an amplifier and a really powerfull and nice stereo set up system, along with the top being used all the time it's going to take a toll on your battery, the Red Top is great, don't get me wrong, I only say the Yellow Top is better because most people that are into their cars have added expensive stereos and amplifiers. I originally started with the Red-Top in my car but switched to the Yellow because of my amplifiier and stereo. If your car is running while you put your top up or down the Red Top should be fine. If you open and close your top at car shows, like I do sometimes without the engine running, then I would sugest the yellow top. Here is a direct link to the Optima Yellow Top benifits.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/product_info/automotive/deep_cycle.html
So looking at the spec sheet that you posted tells the story. The yellow top has a 7% or so higher capacitance. That means there are a couple of benefits to it.
1) You can run the car's systems for a little while longer without the car running and
2) There will be less of a voltage drop during high draw events, like big bass tones from the stereo, so the lights and such won't dim as much during such an event.

So I can see you're point on the advantage to the yellow top.

The disadvantage would be that it probably takes a little longer for the yellow top to recharge when it's brought down to some level of discharge compared to the red top. I would also guess there's some kind of price difference.

In the end, it sounds like it comes down to how much power you're using in your electrical components and if you plan to use them without the car running.

Last edited by blue2000s; 02-09-2007 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:40 AM   #19
Porscheectomy

Quote:
I just used a bunch of Zip ties and daisy-chained them under(Boxster battery tray) and over the top of the battery. Holds in place well. It isn't the most attractive, but it's cheap and easy. It all gets covered up by the battery cover/plastic lid anyway. If you ever need to remove it for any reason. Just cut the zip ties and your done.
How do you keep it from sliding back and forth on the tray?

I've seen plenty of cable ties snap.
Old 02-09-2007, 10:51 AM   #20

Quote:
How do you keep it from sliding back and forth on the tray?

I've seen plenty of cable ties snap.
It's to dam tight, it doesn't move at all. I used 2 sets(daisy-chained heavy duty zip-ties, 3-4). One on each side, close to each post.