Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2007, 08:16 AM   #1

Woud you recommend CA. Car Duster?

as mentioned in the subject, would you recommend California Car duster to remove dust off the car when it's not covered. I'm just having hard time using the towel to dust off my car...or is there other brand/alternative beside car cover that you guys would recommend? I do have a car cover (from wal mart, got the idea from here) but sometimes i dont feel like putting it so I could see the box before i go to work...hehehehehehe!

unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #2

I store my 911 and quit covering it as the cover was harder on the paint then brushing with the duster, but then I also use a leaf blower to remove water after washing. I actually got both ideas from a friend who spent more for the paint on his Ferrari then both of my P-cars cost.
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:24 AM   #3
boggtown

I have a ca car duster in my trunk, it works great. On black its night and day. Just make sure the car is dry.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #4

I cover my '00 S religiously and use the CA Car Duster before each installation to prevent the cover from rubbing the dust into the paint. Works great.

Sold September 4th, 2007.
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #5

unklekraker,

I bought one when I first got my car and it works great !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomschoon
I store my 911 and quit covering it as the cover was harder on the paint then brushing with the duster, but then I also use a leaf blower to remove water after washing. I actually got both ideas from a friend who spent more for the paint on his Ferrari then both of my P-cars cost.
I used to use a leaf blower to dry my RX8. Then folks at work told me I was probably sandblasting the paint (unless I had some decent filtering mechanism on the blower). They were just joking around, but that was enough to scare me into not blowing the car dry again.
porschegeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:14 AM   #7

I probably wouldn't use it... mom had one, and man, that thing got dirty. You really want to rub that crap all over your car again and again??

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:56 AM   #8
boggtown

No, its got a parafin coating that helps it. It says, the dirtier it gets, the better it cleans. Ive used mine a lot, when I saw a lot, I mean everyday after parking in a dirt parking lot in the hot summer heat for monthes (skatepark). And it still works great. Ive had mine for a year I think.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschegeorg
I used to use a leaf blower to dry my RX8. Then folks at work told me I was probably sandblasting the paint (unless I had some decent filtering mechanism on the blower). They were just joking around, but that was enough to scare me into not blowing the car dry again.
Well, at the very least it is probably kicking up dust off the ground and redepositing everywhere, including your car.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:05 PM   #10

Been using one for years and am happy with it but do not use it on a hot car that has been sitting in the sun as the small amount of wax that they apply to the mop to pick up the dust will actually melt and leave streaks on your finish. Won't damage the finish but it looks like hell... I know from experience.

2000 non-S Guards RED
Mostly stock-so far...
rear speakers
3 spoke
K+N
Red bumperettes
Speedster humps
Planning:
some stinkin' cup holders
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #11
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I've used one for years, just keep it away from the windows...
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:24 PM   #12

Thumbs up

I use one regularly between washes and it works great. Definately get one if you go to car shows like I do.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:12 PM   #13

I guess I am the dissenting opinion.

You should avoid touching dry paint as much as possible.
The only California Dry Duster I would use a fresh one right out the packaging on a freshly waxed car that has been sitting in a garage or freshly waxed but sitting out and collected some pollen and dust. These are the only instances where I would use any form of dry dusting on soft German paints. particularly dark ones.

When you drive your car on the road, the cars in front and behind kick up sediment from the road. Basically the same stuff that is in sandpaper. Now you take your try duster or towel and drag those sediments across the paint surface.
Not good.

For for daily driven cars you ALWAYS want to lubricate the panel before applying any manner of pressure. Whatever you can get, cheap or expensive over the counter quick detailers. Flood the surface, take a clean towel and make one long pass with minimal pressure. Flip the towel religiously.

Use the California duster on the top or glass, leave your paint alone. The less you touch it the better it will look.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:22 PM   #14

Hey guys...thanks for all the input! Im on my way to buy the CA. duster. thanks for letting me know not to use it on a warm/hot car as it might leave a streaks or use it in my D/D car as it might pick up all that small rocks and chips I would only use it after my Box sits in my garage uncovered for few days before i put the cover back again.

Perfectlap, thanks for that advice about flooding my DD w/ a quick detailer..it does make sense
Old 02-05-2007, 04:27 PM   #15
boggtown

NEVVVERRRR put a ca car duster on your top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The fibers stick to it and pull out and leave it all linty. Its like velcro for it dude. DONT.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #16

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
NEVVVERRRR put a ca car duster on your top!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The fibers stick to it and pull out and leave it all linty. Its like velcro for it dude. DONT.
Too late, now my new top looks like shag carpeting or the hide from Sesame Streets Snufalufagus.... jk

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #17
boggtown

Thatd be pretty cool, to have a shag carpet top. Like the sheep dog van off of dumb and dumber. And you could style it and give your car a mohawk. Or a chia pet top, thatd be sweet.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:55 PM   #18
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
I guess I am the dissenting opinion.

You should avoid touching dry paint as much as possible.
The only California Dry Duster I would use a fresh one right out the packaging on a freshly waxed car that has been sitting in a garage or freshly waxed but sitting out and collected some pollen and dust. These are the only instances where I would use any form of dry dusting on soft German paints. particularly dark ones.

When you drive your car on the road, the cars in front and behind kick up sediment from the road. Basically the same stuff that is in sandpaper. Now you take your try duster or towel and drag those sediments across the paint surface.
Not good.

For for daily driven cars you ALWAYS want to lubricate the panel before applying any manner of pressure. Whatever you can get, cheap or expensive over the counter quick detailers. Flood the surface, take a clean towel and make one long pass with minimal pressure. Flip the towel religiously.

Use the California duster on the top or glass, leave your paint alone. The less you touch it the better it will look.
No top, no glass.

Never buy a Porsche unless it's white, white doesn't show scratches!!!

BTW I haven't waxed my 2001 yet even though it's been to 6 Parades!
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
Thatd be pretty cool, to have a shag carpet top. Like the sheep dog van off of dumb and dumber. And you could style it and give your car a mohawk. Or a chia pet top, thatd be sweet.
i might have just do that to match my car..ahahahahaha!
i think what P/L meant was for hardtop but if not..OMG

just got back from Target store and pick it up for $9.99...sweeet!
Old 02-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #20

Never buy a Porsche unless it's white, white doesn't show scratches!!!

Amen. Brother.

Got to agree with P-Lap and give the California Duster the no-go. I used one on my 05 midnight blue...not to long-term good effect.

However, I am a big believer in the water blade, made by the same company. Makes drying a cinch with no towel scratching.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote