Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #1

Think about buying a Boxster or Corvette

I am thinking about buying an older/affordable sports car. Currently I have 1980 MGB that it stuffed a V8 into. Still not fast enough. I have always wanted a Porsche and I like the looks of the Boxster. Just looking for advice about the best year and engine. Also can you fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk? I also like the the 1997 and newer corvettes. Are the boxsters competative with the corvettes?
Any advice would be appreciated.
tx,

leonmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonmot
Currently I have 1980 MGB that it stuffed a V8 into. Still not fast enough.
Sounds like you'd enjoy the Corvette more.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
I am thinking about buying an older/affordable sports car. Currently I have 1980 MGB that it stuffed a V8 into. Still not fast enough. I have always wanted a Porsche and I like the looks of the Boxster. Just looking for advice about the best year and engine. Also can you fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk? I also like the the 1997 and newer corvettes. Are the boxsters competative with the corvettes?
tx,
Drive them both and see which you like. Any other answer would bring up a useless argument.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:27 PM   #4

Hi,

As said, drive them both and decide. Here's a related thread which may be helpful to you : http://www.theautobahn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20577 ...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:46 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
power wise if u drive a vette and then get into a boxster, u will get a vette.
if u go and test them both trough some twisties ull get a boxster.

i was in the same boat, test drove a few C5s, ehhh, power is there, but thats bout it, all cheap inside and whatever, but hauls ass tho in a str4aight line, but thats now that i was looking for. like everyone else said, test them both and see what u like, but a boxster has that charm and ull most likely end up getting one
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:10 AM   #6

I have owned 6 Vettes and if your thinking of owning anything less than a C5 than save your money( I know if any of my old Corvette buddies see this I will get an ear full) The Corvette name has been ingrained in most everyones mind as being the American sports car but in my opinion until the C5 the car has not lived up to its legend. I'm still not completely convinced that the C5 makes it ether but it might be close...I know nothing about the C6 but from what I have read the car finally may have caught up with the name.

In a straight line even an S model would be hard pressed to keep up with a C5 and we are not even talking about the Z06 model. the C5 does handle great but from my limited experiance with the Boxster(6 months) if you put equally skilled drivers in both cars on a twisting mountain road the Porsche wins hands down.

Also the Boxster has a more refined feel about it, everything just feels like its just a little bit better put together and to add to that as well the Boxster is the most fun I have ever had in a car...well almost

Will I ever own a Corvette again? Don't know but for now I am having a lot of fun

dusty
wvav8tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Also can you fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk?
tx,

Since I can add little technical advice compared to the other members let me lend you a hand in an area I am familiar with....Golf...

I can get my clubs in the trunk only if I take my driver and woods out of the bag and place them in separately. It is actually a pretty good fit unless you have one of those big leather cart bags. If all else fails put them in the passenger compartment. Wow! I feel helpful today....
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:17 AM   #8

Agreed. From a power/torque standpoint, you need to look at an S Boxster to come close to the corvette experience. C5's are cheap to buy now, but so are boxsters. They will probably cost you about the same to maintain from a routine maintenance standpoint-oil changes, tires, brakes, etc.

At least you are considering a car with the motor in the right place now...

Jeff
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:58 AM   #9

By the way, I drove my friends C5 which is realtively stock and from a power standpoint it blows my S out of the water. I will say the boxster is more fun to drive, better fit and finish and more balanced.
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:16 AM   #10

Golf!!!...Yep irons and bag in the back, woods on the passenger seat and a fold down cart in the front boot!!! Easy!! And they even make Porsche Golf Balls....and these are supposed to go very well in a straight line...although mine go bloody everywhere!!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:26 AM   #11

Keep in mind, the c6 corvette weighs about the SAME as the Boxster. The S model weighs almost 100 lbs MORE than the c6.

That being said, I think the difference between Porsches and high powered domestics is that Porsches are precision refined vehicles, whereas corvettes are raw, nasty and big.

The corvette has a much longer wheelbase than the Boxster, which is one of the reasons I didn't get one. I like a small car I guess.

But the corvette is no wimp in twisties either, like I said, it weighs just over 2800 lbs, just like the Boxster.

So I guess the answer is that these are different vehicles in different classes and you have to decide what you like
Old 01-23-2007, 06:31 AM   #12
Track rat

Garage
If you want pure horsepower... get the Vette. If you want pure joy... get the Box. There is nothing quite like a little spirited, top down canyon carving in a Boxter. I have driven many Corvettes but never owned one. They are formidable cars on both street and track but still feel like a Chevy.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #13

Smile

I have owned numerous 911s, vettes of all stripes, and Boxsters.

Drive them and decide. Likely if the V8 powered MGB is not fast enough for you, you are going to like a C5, which you can modify to over 450HP for about $6K.

Think supercharger!

Let us know what you decide.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:39 AM   #14
lwc

Quote:
Also can you fit a set of golf clubs in the trunk?
You have the priorities right . . . that's one of the first things I made sure of before I bought mine. My stand bag with driver, irons and all fit just fine in the rear trunk.
lwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:19 AM   #15

If you want real fast in a straight line: CORVETTE

If you like to actually TURN: BOXSTER

Remember, straight tracks are for fast cars. Twisty tracks are for fast drivers.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:09 AM   #16

Quote:
tx,

The Vette (Front engine)the pros:lots of torque and BPH. great for doing burnouts and donuts in your local mall parking lot.
con:Power without control.

Boxster (mid engine) pros:sticky grip and better brakes.
con:hard to drift on dry and can be addicted.

porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:12 AM   #17

well put it this way,

if you offered me a C5 and BoxsterS for the track:

C5

if you offered me a BoxsterS to drive everyday (including beautiful summer days)

BoxsterS

I wasn't super impressed with the short drive I had in the C5 (are they all yellow?)
The z06 seems like quiet a step up. I took an advanced EVO driving course with a couple of other guys, one M5, Z06, STi, forget the other. Half the day it rained (hard) and half the day it was sunny. The car that most impressed me was teh STI but the car that most surprised me was the Corvette. The handling of the corvette was top notch, its driver was the quickest in every session by a healthy margin. I doubt I could live with that kind of potential for disaster on simple commutes. The Boxster makes me appreciate handling without the unrelenting urge to floor it. Boxsters save lives...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #18

Hi,

My take:
  • Boxster S vs C5 - tough choice, most likely the Boxster S

Boxster S vs C6 - VERY tough choice

Boxster S vs Z06 - Bye-bye Boxster

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2BOX
Golf!!!...Yep irons and bag in the back, woods on the passenger seat and a fold down cart in the front boot!!! Easy!! And they even make Porsche Golf Balls....and these are supposed to go very well in a straight line...although mine go bloody everywhere!!
My entire golf bag ( irons and woods ) fits just fine in the rear trunk.

My fold down cart, however, doesn't even come close to fitting in the front trunk .

Any suggestions for a fold down cart that does fit ( not that I'll be playing anytime soon ).

Thanks,

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )

Last edited by NickCats; 01-23-2007 at 11:03 AM.
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #20

I was wrong about corvettes' weight. It is actually 3179 for the coupe and 3199 for the convertible, still very lightweight. (not much heavier than a Carrera S)

But still, give it more credit. It's a fast, light-weight car that is inexpensive.

Yes, inexpensive means the interior sucks and some cheap building, but interiors are for couch potatoes if you ask me.

To hell w/ interiors.

If you offered me a 987 Boxster S or a corvette convertible, I will go Boxster, however.