Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #21

I don't see a Jetta either. It does look a lot better top down than up. But I think that same thing about the Boxster too.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
The MG looks like a Volvo and an ugly one at that.

To each their own!
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #23

I'm thinking of an eventual replacement for my 2000 Boxster and coming up with few choices. Topping my list are the Porsche 996, BMW M3, and Acura NSX.

I'd agree with your assessment of the 996 cab's looks and my personal feelings on the car are that it suffers from the same drawbacks as the 986, everything about the car's design and engineering is inherently ten years old, which does not make it a bad car...just dated.

I hope you're not talking about an e36 BMW M3 convertible, because the 240 hp U.S. version of that car is an insult to the M division. The e46 M3 convertible is nice, just not a great performer due to chopping off the roof and adding three hundred pounds. If you get one, you should wait until the new M3 comes out next year to wait for the depreciation on the e46. I disagree about the looks and find it one of the more menacing convertibles around and more masculine than most roadsters. Four seats is also nice...

On the NSX, you'll want the 97 version or later due to the 3.2 engine upgrade but would suggest 2002 or newer because of the upgrades that went in that year (xenons, body kit, etc.). Make sure you call your insurance company first on this one, as the aluminum body makes them expensive to repair and insure. Maintenance is Porsche-dealer expensive as well, and you'll probably want to get service at a Honda/Acura dealer rather than an independent. This car chews through expensive tires even faster than a Boxster.

I've driven most of the late-model convertibles out there, and if you can live with the styling I'd recommend a new Z4M. Best standard kit, most powerful in class, free maintenance for 4/50 and they're not exactly selling like hotcakes so prices are good. The 3.2 engine on some of the earlier M3s were not exactly trouble free, but by now they've been ironed out. You might also want to wait on the next generation 325/330 convertible as it looks to be a stunner and the engine in the 330 coupe is a 300ft. lbs/ 300 hp ass-kicker from all accounts.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:29 AM   #24
Track rat

Garage
I think the MG is nice looking. Much better than most of the Jap beer can roadsters. It doesn't say ATTITUDE though.

If faced with such a dilemma I would apply simple logic... If not Porsche... then Ferrari. They are arguably still the only game in town if you want great looks, great performance and great pedigree in a purpose built, no compromise roadster. If you do decide on a Ferrari keep a good mechanic on retainer though. Maintenance and repairs are mind-boggling.
Old 01-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
I'm thinking of an eventual replacement for my 2000 Boxster and coming up with few choices. Topping my list are the Porsche 996, BMW M3, and Acura NSX.

I'd agree with your assessment of the 996 cab's looks and my personal feelings on the car are that it suffers from the same drawbacks as the 986, everything about the car's design and engineering is inherently ten years old, which does not make it a bad car...just dated.

I hope you're not talking about an e36 BMW M3 convertible, because the 240 hp U.S. version of that car is an insult to the M division. The e46 M3 convertible is nice, just not a great performer due to chopping off the roof and adding three hundred pounds. If you get one, you should wait until the new M3 comes out next year to wait for the depreciation on the e46. I disagree about the looks and find it one of the more menacing convertibles around and more masculine than most roadsters. Four seats is also nice...

On the NSX, you'll want the 97 version or later due to the 3.2 engine upgrade but would suggest 2002 or newer because of the upgrades that went in that year (xenons, body kit, etc.). Make sure you call your insurance company first on this one, as the aluminum body makes them expensive to repair and insure. Maintenance is Porsche-dealer expensive as well, and you'll probably want to get service at a Honda/Acura dealer rather than an independent. This car chews through expensive tires even faster than a Boxster.

I've driven most of the late-model convertibles out there, and if you can live with the styling I'd recommend a new Z4M. Best standard kit, most powerful in class, free maintenance for 4/50 and they're not exactly selling like hotcakes so prices are good. The 3.2 engine on some of the earlier M3s were not exactly trouble free, but by now they've been ironed out. You might also want to wait on the next generation 325/330 convertible as it looks to be a stunner and the engine in the 330 coupe is a 300ft. lbs/ 300 hp ass-kicker from all accounts.
Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the e46 M3... I love the looks of the regular ones but not a big fan of the drop top version. I'm not sure why... either too much canvas with the top up or the 4 headrests sticking up with the top down make it seem less sporty. I would get a pre-2002 NSX if not for the price then simply because I like the looks of the pop-up headlights alot more than the newer fixed ones. Hopefully someone around me will get an NSX in that I can test drive... that is probably #1 on my list of other cars right now. The more I think about it the more I think I should just save up for some upgrades to the Boxster (body kit, 996 engine swap). It might not be the most financially responsible descision but it would probably leave me the happiest.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #26

I'm not sure if "use" was specified but...

1) 1950's Porsche Speedster
2) Any 356 Cab (mmm Carerra II with Fourcam would be nice

3) Cayman Convertible
4) 996
5) Mini Cooper S JCW
6) MB SLK
7) Z4, M
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:28 PM   #27

You can get a used SLK55 AMG for ~$45-50k. It's a V8, 355hp, 376 lb-ft, convertible hardtop. That's a pretty nice machine and tad faster than a new Boxster S. (I'd still pick the S any day of the week, but if you're tired of the pcar for some reason).

See http://www.mbusa.com/models/features/specs/overview.do?modelCode=SLK55&class=07_SLK
webster132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #28

I've been thinking about this all day (I know, scary isn't it). With a ceiling of $40,000 and change, there really aren't too many inspiring cars out there, particularly if you want something you can comfortably drive daily. If you were looking for a toy, there are many offerings in that range (the 550 Spyder and Cobra replicas immediately come to mind). I have to say that if you don't like the 996 and you don't want to stay with the 986, the NSX is not a bad choice. Still, you're going to be pressed to find a good, later model example in the price range you're talking about.

The Mercedes SL500 and SLKs really don't do it for me, especially after my experience with my last E Class. It probably varies by area of the Country, but around here, everybody seems to have one. They're like the Annapolitan Corolla or something.

To me, the MGF is still a pipe dream and even if it does happen and appears on our shores, it looks eerily like this...

I guess if it were me, I'd upgrade the Boxster or step up to a 987S ...which is probably why I bought a Boxster when looking for a fun rag top in the first place.

Good luck.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:43 PM   #29

Hey, how about the Elise? They are a blast to drive and the way their values have fallen off a cliff, you may be able to get one and a half of them for $40k. Of course, if they haven't improved their reliability over the years, you may need one and a half of them just to keep it running. I'd recommend the roadside assistance insurance, but it is cool.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #30

Lotus Elise if you are looking in that price range.

No question about it.

I agree w/ Jim. So many cars. So little time. I may get a 911 some day, but not another Boxster.

EDIT: Grizzly beat me to it.

Last edited by Bavarian Motorist; 01-24-2007 at 03:51 PM.
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #31

$40k, gobs of power, convertible, not a Porsche - I'd look at the used Corvette C6.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:31 PM   #32

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Hey, how about the Elise? They are a blast to drive and the way their values have fallen off a cliff, you may be able to get one and a half of them for $40k. Of course, if they haven't improved their reliability over the years, you may need one and a half of them just to keep it running. I'd recommend the roadside assistance insurance, but it is cool.
Lotus, Yes... Elise no.... Exige S OH YEAH BABY!
top comes off too!

Supercharged, more aggressive styling, slightly better suspension and better tires.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Lotus, Yes... Elise no.... Exige S OH YEAH BABY!
top comes off too!

Supercharged, more aggressive styling, slightly better suspension and better tires.
...And bigger price tag too. That's why I mentioned the Elise. Exige is cool as hell for $55 grand.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #34

If it were me, and I was deciding between those 3, I'd go for the NSX. It's a sweet sounding car... It's a Honda. It turns heads more than the other two ever could. It's got healthy performance numbers. Getting an '02, as some one suggested earlier, is probably out of your price range judging by the fact you're looking at used E46s.

Now then, if TOPLESS didn't have to be a requirement, I'd say M3 (maybe with a sunroof?) hands down. In fact, why won't a sunroof cut it? The M3 is a serious machine, but a bit on the conservative side (in terms of looks), but a contender nonetheless.
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #35
boggtown

The mall I work in has a BMW dealership in it so I see all the new cars everyday. They have a 6 series and a z4 coupe thats new in there. They also had a Z4M in last month. By the looks of it, the coupe looks quite nice, I didnt think Id like it due to the older style coupes (ugly), but its pretty clean. Now a Z4M coupe... thatd be a hard car to not want to buy. Personally Id buy a hyundai tiburon and put a V8 in it, with nos, and lots of stickers on the side, with air ride suspension, and a sweet body kit. And still have 20,000 left over.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #36

Top does not come off the exige because the supercharger air feed is on the top.

On the REGULAR exige which I don't believe is sold anymore, the top is removable with some tools.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:26 PM   #37

Hi,

I did a Track Day at Road Atlanta with both the Elise and the Exige courtesy of Lotus North America - freekin' awesome rides, but daily drivers? - forget it!

BMW M3? That's so cliche' these days, besides, they're Sports Sedans and no Sun!...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:20 PM   #38

New M3 cab. won't even be out until 2008.

Not sure why, though. Maybe it's a marketing technique: Get all the buyers you can for the m3 coupe and when the demand dies down, THEN start selling the cab.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:41 AM   #39

Some great suggestions, thanks guys. For now i'll probably be hanging onto the Boxster but I have a few cars on my list to check out now. Unless they blow me away I may just have to upgrade the Box.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:44 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
Some great suggestions, thanks guys. For now i'll probably be hanging onto the Boxster but I have a few cars on my list to check out now. Unless they blow me away I may just have to upgrade the Box.
So things come full circle, just as they did for many of us here. There really may be no substitute.

Z.