View Single Post
Old 01-24-2007, 11:38 AM   #25
Porschekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD987
I'm thinking of an eventual replacement for my 2000 Boxster and coming up with few choices. Topping my list are the Porsche 996, BMW M3, and Acura NSX.

I'd agree with your assessment of the 996 cab's looks and my personal feelings on the car are that it suffers from the same drawbacks as the 986, everything about the car's design and engineering is inherently ten years old, which does not make it a bad car...just dated.

I hope you're not talking about an e36 BMW M3 convertible, because the 240 hp U.S. version of that car is an insult to the M division. The e46 M3 convertible is nice, just not a great performer due to chopping off the roof and adding three hundred pounds. If you get one, you should wait until the new M3 comes out next year to wait for the depreciation on the e46. I disagree about the looks and find it one of the more menacing convertibles around and more masculine than most roadsters. Four seats is also nice...

On the NSX, you'll want the 97 version or later due to the 3.2 engine upgrade but would suggest 2002 or newer because of the upgrades that went in that year (xenons, body kit, etc.). Make sure you call your insurance company first on this one, as the aluminum body makes them expensive to repair and insure. Maintenance is Porsche-dealer expensive as well, and you'll probably want to get service at a Honda/Acura dealer rather than an independent. This car chews through expensive tires even faster than a Boxster.

I've driven most of the late-model convertibles out there, and if you can live with the styling I'd recommend a new Z4M. Best standard kit, most powerful in class, free maintenance for 4/50 and they're not exactly selling like hotcakes so prices are good. The 3.2 engine on some of the earlier M3s were not exactly trouble free, but by now they've been ironed out. You might also want to wait on the next generation 325/330 convertible as it looks to be a stunner and the engine in the 330 coupe is a 300ft. lbs/ 300 hp ass-kicker from all accounts.
Thanks for the advice. I was looking at the e46 M3... I love the looks of the regular ones but not a big fan of the drop top version. I'm not sure why... either too much canvas with the top up or the 4 headrests sticking up with the top down make it seem less sporty. I would get a pre-2002 NSX if not for the price then simply because I like the looks of the pop-up headlights alot more than the newer fixed ones. Hopefully someone around me will get an NSX in that I can test drive... that is probably #1 on my list of other cars right now. The more I think about it the more I think I should just save up for some upgrades to the Boxster (body kit, 996 engine swap). It might not be the most financially responsible descision but it would probably leave me the happiest.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote