Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2004, 03:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Oversteer Problem

First of all, I am glad I found this forum. What a wonderful place! All lovers of the Boxster!

Last summer I purchased a '02 Boxster S with 4000 miles on it. So relatively new. Yet, the dealer had on it brand new tires. They are Nokian NRZi 225/40 on the front and 265/35 on the rear. The wheels are 18 inch. Frankly, I have never even heard of "Nokia" making tires!

Anyway I didn't drive the car much last year and now with the weather finally getting warm I am getting to enjoy the Boxster.

BUT I am having a lot of oversteer. I am a good driver and can handle it - barely. I have done Autocrossing in the past and I know how to control a car. And I do like a bit of oversteer as opposed to lots of understeer. But I am getting a wee bit too much for comfort

The tire pressures were 32/36 and I checked with the dealer who confirmed them as being as recommend by Porsche for those tires.

Well I played with the pressures and changed them to 36/38. Now the overall handling is better. The braking is terrific. Much improved, with the jump in pressure from 32 to 36. But the oversteer is even worse! Even braking into a turn will cause my back-end to slide!

So does anyone have any experience with these tires? And what tire pressures do you recommend.

FYI, I drive very hard and don't give a damn about comfort or ride. All I need is grip! BUT I don't accelerate hard at all. I find that boring. Straight line speed makes me yawn. I corner flat out (close to the limit) and brake like hell. Before the Boxster, I had a '99 996 and I used to get only 8000 miles or so per set of Pirelli P-Zeros.

By the way, I find the Boxster way much more fun to drive than the 996! Beautiful handling car! And way better than the 996!

Leica Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:11 PM   #2

Never heard of that brand of tires. I'd ditch those and get a major brand like the Bridgstone SO3s or whatever you have had good experiences with in the past on your other Porsche.

I have about 17K on my SO3s and still have a lot of tread left. I don't drive as hard as you do, but 8000 miles on a set of tires wouldn't cut it for me.

The oversteer, I can't say I know enough about it technically to comment on it. But perhaps it is the tires plus the combination of tire pressure you are running.

I have found 34/38 works really well for me on my '99 Boxster (not an S).

Hope you get it figured out.

Welcome to the forum too! Always glad to see new faces here to contribute.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 07:51 PM   #3

I'm running 29psi in the front and 32psi in the back. It's a box s with 18" 265/225 pilot sports. Is this pressure in the acceptable range? What's too low a pressure?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 08:47 AM   #4

Oversteer is never a bug, IT'S A FEATURE.

Dump the tires and get a good set of Pirelli's or Bridgestone.

Mark.
markk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 08:50 AM   #5

Be sure to check out this prior thread for info on tire pressures...
Old 04-09-2004, 09:01 AM   #6
Forum Member

Thanks guys. Seems like my dealer screwed me on these crappy tires... Still I think I will play with the tire pressures to try to get some neutral handling. Failing that, I might have to just order me some Pirelli P-Zeros... Anyone want a nearly new set of Nokia tires go to with your flashy Nokia phone???
Leica Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 10:29 AM   #7

Take those tires to the city dump.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #8

Nokian

Nokian are winter tires widely used in Europe.

It has nothing to do with Nokia phones as far as I know
valentino europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:40 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

First, I doubt anyone involved in this thread is still around. It's seven and a half years old.

Second, it's hilarious that the original poster makes the correlation that if something is made by Nokia, it is Nokian! LOL. Our cars must be Porschen and shoes Niken! BYW, Nokians are awesome tires in snow.

blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote