View Single Post
Old 04-08-2004, 03:00 PM   #1
Leica Man
Forum Member

Oversteer Problem

First of all, I am glad I found this forum. What a wonderful place! All lovers of the Boxster!

Last summer I purchased a '02 Boxster S with 4000 miles on it. So relatively new. Yet, the dealer had on it brand new tires. They are Nokian NRZi 225/40 on the front and 265/35 on the rear. The wheels are 18 inch. Frankly, I have never even heard of "Nokia" making tires!

Anyway I didn't drive the car much last year and now with the weather finally getting warm I am getting to enjoy the Boxster.

BUT I am having a lot of oversteer. I am a good driver and can handle it - barely. I have done Autocrossing in the past and I know how to control a car. And I do like a bit of oversteer as opposed to lots of understeer. But I am getting a wee bit too much for comfort

The tire pressures were 32/36 and I checked with the dealer who confirmed them as being as recommend by Porsche for those tires.

Well I played with the pressures and changed them to 36/38. Now the overall handling is better. The braking is terrific. Much improved, with the jump in pressure from 32 to 36. But the oversteer is even worse! Even braking into a turn will cause my back-end to slide!

So does anyone have any experience with these tires? And what tire pressures do you recommend.

FYI, I drive very hard and don't give a damn about comfort or ride. All I need is grip! BUT I don't accelerate hard at all. I find that boring. Straight line speed makes me yawn. I corner flat out (close to the limit) and brake like hell. Before the Boxster, I had a '99 996 and I used to get only 8000 miles or so per set of Pirelli P-Zeros.

By the way, I find the Boxster way much more fun to drive than the 996! Beautiful handling car! And way better than the 996!
Leica Man is offline   Reply With Quote