Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #1

Please ID for me.....

I'm sure I've posted in the wrong place but could someone please ID the exact part in the picture for me.

I was hit by a boulder coming off a mountain last month and this was the attempt at the repair. (not by me... by the body shop) I'm just going to find the part and replace it myself. (if you want something done right...)

It seems like the replacement they used (which is a Porsche part) is a heavier type plastic. The boxster is an '01; are these going to be one size fits all or do I need to find a 2001 specifically? Anybody have any good boxster salvage contacts? Thanks so much!!!

Old 01-22-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
boggtown

Im putting side skirts on my car and I will sell you mine if you want. Factory rubber.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #3

Hi,

The part is listed as Trim - Satin Black PN# 986.504.393.00.01C-LFT (.00C - RHT), and goes for around $25. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:28 PM   #4

Wow!
What a hack job. That's not even close. Hope they did better on the stuff you can't see (somehow I doubt it).

So what's the story about the boulder? That doesn't happen every day.

Terry
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #5

Available online here... there may be other places cheaper, but I've never really searched for this part at other stores.

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=986flap&Category_Code=POTEBXEX
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #6

bogg,

how much do you want for them since i took them off to do that body kit and now the sides look naked.. I have paypal .. let me know
clb0099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 05:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
Wow!

So what's the story about the boulder? That doesn't happen every day.

Terry
Yeah, there must be a good story there.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNcargirl
Anybody have any good boxster salvage contacts? Thanks so much!!!
If you want a used rocker panel guard you could try www.partsheaven.com but given the price of new it would be neglible.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #9

That hack job of a fix (the photograph) was a new piece of trim… it didn’t even appear to be the same quality of plastic. (it was actually much more thick and sturdy feeling than the original) the part itself looked good, but it doesn’t seem to fit flush with the rocker panel and I can tell my female-nitpicky-ness is starting to annoy the body shop guys. (but no worries… I won’t stop till all is back to normal) We’ve tried a heat gun,(to shape the plastic a little) and you can clearly see the adhesive tape that was added. I’m at the point now where I’d just like to get an entirely new pair (one for each side) and replace them both. Even though they said the part they replaced it with was for an ’01 I can’t help but think maybe this is for an “S” or maybe for an ’05 or newer? It’s taking much too much energy…I’m checking out partsheaven.com right now. (thanks)

As for as the boulder… this is the SECOND time I’ve been whacked by a big rock from above. The first time I was in an NSX; I had turned onto a side road just as the rock rolled off the mountain and apparently I timed it just right…it lodged just behind my front tire. (it brought the front wheel off the road) No damage, just jacked up the car, moved the rock and I was on my way again. This time I was heading over a mountain on my way to Nashville, the rock was thrown off of another vehicle; I had no time to react. It was raining and you know how the Boxster likes to spin around in the rain. It could have been a lot worse, at least I stopped on the shoulder and didn’t go over the side! When I lived in Dallas I never had these mountain/boulder problems… maybe this is a sign? Lol

Thanks for all your help!!
-Rena
Old 01-24-2007, 09:44 AM   #10

Rena, you should drive over to Robbinsville and drive with us in May. A bunch of forum members are going to drive the Dragon the weekend of the 5th.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote