Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2007, 07:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
Your signature advocates making WAR ?

And the photo of a woman in a subservient position about to get a pistol in the mouth is art?
If its art , it is tasteless art.

I think closer to sociopathic.
To each his own...

Old 01-22-2007, 05:34 AM   #22

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabasa
To each his own...

My son always loved Bert and Ernie.

Thanks for changing BTW!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
My son always loved Bert and Ernie.

Thanks for changing BTW!
No problem Bruce! Didn't want to offend anyone on the forum. If I did, I'm really very sorry.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:58 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster132
Also, I think it's nice to have a more clearly defined split between everyday and occasion cars. If you drive around with 500hp all the time, getting into a Lamborghini or a Ferrari won't carry the same astonishment.

With that in mind, I'm surprised you don't second-guess buying those cars if a different class of car in a different price tier can even compare.

You can say, "I will enjoy the week-end cars because my daily car is not comparable", but shouldn't the real question be, "How 'good' are my week-end cars relative to other cars?"

In other words, if an M5, for example, a cheaper, four-door sports sedan, can take so much away from your experience in an exotic, super-car, don't you question those cars or why you bought them?

I'm not sure if that makes sense. I guess I'll see by your response.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
In other words, if an M5, for example, a cheaper, four-door sports sedan, can take so much away from your experience in an exotic, super-car, don't you question those cars or why you bought them?
Owning a supercar is so much more than just about going fast in a straight line. It's even about a lot more than just the performance itself. The Corvette Z06 offers comparable performance to both Ferraris and Lamborghinis for less money than even an M5, yet that car doesn't appeal to me.

So a sedan is a poor substitute, in my mind, for a low-riding, supercar coupe that can take corners and twisties at high speed. Anyone with a Boxster should sympathies with that argument. Considering that you can get considerably more horsepower for half the buck elsewhere.

And since I'm not going to use something like a M5 to just go drive for fun, I a) wouldn't want to spend the money, b) would rather have a car that's more refined for the niche it's going to occupy (getting groceries, sitting in traffic), and c) is a considerably different car on as many levels as possible (speed, comfort, etc).

I hope that illuminates my thought process. I'm sure it's different for others. I know there are lots of people with Ferraris and Lambos who have an M5 as a daily driver. More power to them. It's just not my preference for a good fit.
webster132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:02 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
same goes to the people who say that people that drive a boxster cant afford a 911.
but in general u can get a boxster and get an engine swap and blow the doors off of a 911, but you would still get the same comment, even though your box may be faster than a 911 (theoretically speaking, mine sure as hell is not).

that also brings me to the poaint of enjoying the car, at the time that i had a high HP camaro i also owned a '84 325, i swear that car had 2hp, but was so much more fun than the power, so its not all about the hp backing you up, its the enjoyment you get out of it. i just used to get harassed by everyone for picking the 325 over my other car but i jsut enjoyed it more. i dunno if that makes sense, but yea...

but id love to get a ride in either one of your cars man, (hopefully )
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #27

Quote:
No problem Bruce! Didn't want to offend anyone on the forum. If I did, I'm really very sorry.
LOL, Bert and Ernie doing drugs is much less offensive!

I don't think that I particularly enjoyed your prior sig so much (not my thing as you say), but I do recognize that art is often provocational. I do maintain though that a urinal is not art. I'm sorry, I know Duchamp is supposed to be a genius, but that's not art, that's a toilet.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:37 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
LOL, Bert and Ernie doing drugs is much less offensive!
Actually, I had another one where Bert was doing Ernie from behind but I don't think people here would appreciate that one either...
Old 01-22-2007, 12:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Owning a supercar is so much more than just about going fast in a straight line. It's even about a lot more than just the performance itself. The Corvette Z06 offers comparable performance to both Ferraris and Lamborghinis for less money than even an M5, yet that car doesn't appeal to me.
Can't agree more. Isn't that why we all endend up with Boxster instead of Corvette or Subaru? Even though I'm perfectly happy with my base 987, I'd say
F-car & S4 would be perfect combo, and I do prefer S4 over M5 without doubt.
jinijazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #30

Quote:

So a sedan is a poor substitute, in my mind, for a low-riding, supercar coupe that can take corners and twisties at high speed. Anyone with a Boxster should sympathies with that argument. Considering that you can get considerably more horsepower for half the buck elsewhere.

And since I'm not going to use something like a M5 to just go drive for fun, I a) wouldn't want to spend the money, b) would rather have a car that's more refined for the niche it's going to occupy (getting groceries, sitting in traffic), and c) is a considerably different car on as many levels as possible (speed, comfort, etc).

I hope that illuminates my thought process. I'm sure it's different for others. I know there are lots of people with Ferraris and Lambos who have an M5 as a daily driver. More power to them. It's just not my preference for a good fit.

I'm not saying, "Why did you buy that when you can get a similarly powerful car for less money?" and giving my take on it. I'm not judging at all.

I was just referring to what you said; That having a high-hp car as a daily driver would take away from the experience of a Ferrari or Lamborghini, and that made me question the whole idea of having a super car like that if a seemingly lesser car can steal a part of that experience and love.

Just an idea.
Old 01-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #31

Nice F car but be prepared to be good friends with the Ferrari mechanic and dealership.
Also I presume this is a Sunday car...So what do you drive everyday?

Ferrari unlike Porsche is a show car or weekend car.

My car is not a lawn ornament...

Porsche there is no substitute.
:dance:
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give you the final act of the story. I finally said goodbye to the 2006 Boxster S as I did a pre-trade today at Lake Forest Sportscars for a Ferrrari 430 Spider that's coming in February/March.
getting)
I'm trading in my Honda Accord for a 1999 Ford Pickup with a chrome tailgate, beater tires and an 8track tape system.. Dude, do you want to switch? Congrats on your beautiful new ride. As with any new sports car, it's all about tradeoffs. I suspect for someone who is concerned about maintenance costs like me, I couldn't afford a new Ferrari in the near future.

Enjoy her.
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:56 PM   #33

Quote:
Actually, I had another one where Bert was doing Ernie from behind but I don't think people here would appreciate that one either...
I would appreciate that one for my personal collection.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
I would appreciate that one for my personal collection.
Give me your email address and I'll send it to you.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Give me your email address and I'll send it to you.
Sent you a PM - thanks

Old 01-22-2007, 08:33 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer
Nice F car but be prepared to be good friends with the Ferrari mechanic and dealership.
Also I presume this is a Sunday car...So what do you drive everyday?

While it's true that most Porsche's see more miles quicker than Ferrari's, I think you're holding on to an older myth about the differences in maintainability. Since the 360, Ferrari's have had a big jump in reliability. With the 430, the jump was even bigger (chains instead of belts).

From dual owners that I've talked to, lots of them have had issues with the transmission on their 911s when pushing them hard. I've read lots of fun stories about RMS issues too.

So Porsche's are not perfect, no high-performance car is.

Just for another point of reference, I've driven my Lambo 2400 miles in a few months with the only issues being a few squeaks (that were promptly fixed) and a battery that died due to my mistake of leaving the cockpit lights on one night. When the weather is nice, I try to drive the car every night or every other night. There's no garage queening going on here.

I've talked to lots of 360 and Gallardo owners that have had their cars for years with no issues at all.

The world of supercars today is very different from even the mid 90es.

And I have every intent on putting on as many miles as I possible can in these cars. They are so most certainly not for Sundays or shows. I consider them for Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

No, I won't be grocery shopping in them. But that's not a question of reliability, but of practicality.
webster132 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:21 AM   #37

Quote:
While it's true that most Porsche's see more miles quicker than Ferrari's, I think you're holding on to an older myth about the differences in maintainability. Since the 360, Ferrari's have had a big jump in reliability. With the 430, the jump was even bigger (chains instead of belts).

From dual owners that I've talked to, lots of them have had issues with the transmission on their 911s when pushing them hard. I've read lots of fun stories about RMS issues too.

Just for another point of reference, I've driven my Lambo 2400 miles in a few months with the only issues being a few squeaks (that were promptly fixed) and a battery that died due to my mistake of leaving the cockpit lights on one night. When the weather is nice, I try to drive the car every night or every other night. There's no garage queening going on here.

I've talked to lots of 360 and Gallardo owners that have had their cars for years with no issues at all.

And I have every intent on putting on as many miles as I possible can in these cars. They are so most certainly not for Sundays or shows. I consider them for Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

No, I won't be grocery shopping in them. But that's not a question of reliability, but of practicality.
I can grocery shop in my boxster. Clearly the boxster is superior.

/sarcasm
Old 01-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #38

Uh, I will take a Ferrari lawn ornament and I will be a good wingman and take one for the team...go ahead and sign me up for a Lambo lawn ornament. Lambo's need love to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer

My car is not a lawn ornament...

Porsche there is no substitute.
:dance:
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:58 AM   #39

Quote:

The fact is Ferrari maintenance and parts cost is 3x vs Porsche. Go figure.
Ferrari 30k miles service 12,000-14,000 USD? I am not surprise see Ferrari on Ebay with 25-28k miles.

Statistics in Car & Driver and every sports car mag in the world will tell you that Porsche is superior to Ferrari.

I agree driving a Ferrari you will pick up Britneys because its red, cute and it purs.

Now give me a mans car -930 slant turbo. Its wide,ugly and roars but it will kick your Ferrari's red ass.

:troll:
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #40

Listen he made the purchase already. There is no sense in criticizing his decision and possibly making him feel bad because it's finished already.

I am sure the Ferrari is an AWESOME car and just as good as any Porsche, if not better.

I am sure that rev happy little v8 will be beyond pleasing.