Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 02:03 PM   #1

Question Need Advice on a GAHH Top

I was planning on putting a GAHH top with glass window on my 2000 Boxster. That is until I contacted Custom Tops, a very reputable top installer in Richmond, they do many of the Porsches in the area. The chief installer said he would not install anymore GAHH tops (or others for that matter) with glass windows on pre-2003 Boxsters untill GAHH has worked out some bugs in the top.

He went on to explain that he has recently put on two GAHH tops with glass windows onto earlier Boxsters and has a number of problems with them fitting and working properly. He claims that there were a number of problems with the fitting the top with a glass window in a car with a mechanism designed for a folding plastic window. He also said he has talked to the folks at GAHH (which he knows personally) and they were not able to reassure him that there was not a problem with the glass window tops for earlier Boxsters.

He recommended that I consider going to a GAHH top with a plastic rear window which does not have any installation or fitment issues. He said he could also replace the plastic window on my existing top for 600.00 if I was interested.

Now I dont know what to do, as my rear window is cracked more than half way across and I need to replace it, or the top. I have read a number of posts that have said that they are very happy with replacing their tops with plastic windows with glass windows, but now I am not sure what to do, help....

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:10 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Travis
That's strange, I have heard really nothing but good things from people that have replaced the top with GAHH Glass tops, only issue I have heard was when placing the top in service mode it being more time consuming.

As far as $600.00 for a back plastic retro-fit, I would go for the whole new top only a little more than $150.00 extra.

I was planning on a new top w/glass sometime this year myself and I too have the 2k box.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:21 PM   #3

"As far as $600.00 for a back plastic retro-fit, I would go for the whole new top only a little more than $150.00 extra.

I was planning on a new top w/glass sometime this year myself and I too have the 2k box."

I have gotten two price quotes for the GAHH top with glass window installed, one was for 1550.00, the other was for 1850.00. The fabric on my top is in OK but not great shape, that is why I would consider the plastic window replacement (and save 1K). Also, the fellow at the shop said he replaces lots of plastic rear windows on Boxsters.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 01-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #4

I had a GAHH top installed over the summer, so, although i havent had it that long, i am pretty happy with it. GAHH is still working out some kinks from what i understand, but nothing major. On mine there is some extra fabric "thing" which the installer didnt want to cut off because it was part of the pattern. He thought there was too much fubric but left it. Because of the extra fabric, the top has just a bump or two in it. Nothing too noticable, we were hoping it would tighten itself with some time, and it got better, but it didnt fully correct itself. Installer is going to tighten it up in the spring (car is in hibernation) free of charge. I would get it again if i had to do it over .

My installer guy knows the people at GAHH "personally" as well. Its nice, but i wouldnt put a whole lot of stock in that. They seem to "know" lots of people.
Hake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:36 PM   #5

Hi,

I too find a glass rear window appealing, but am concerned about the GAHH top. It's interesting to hear of an installer so adamantly against them.

IIRC, putting the Top in the Service position is not merely inconvenient. I believe we had either GAHH or a distributor (CabrioWorld?) post a msg. here indicating that a mechanic would need to dismantle the top slightly to access the engine top and that it would add approx. $50 to a service.

That may be of little concern to someone who doesn't work on their own car, but for those who do, like me, adding $50 to change a $20 Air Filter, check the Power Steering Fluid, and such is pretty much a deal breaker.

It will be interesting to watch and see how this develops. But, I would have no qualms in replacing the vinyl window with another one at all since my top is down 99.9% of the time anyway, and since the original vinyl window is now on year 8 and still doing OK...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #6

Ed,

Please keep us updated no matter which option you choose. I'm hoping that I'm a few years behind you as far as top replacement is concerned, but I'd like to hear about your expeience with Custom Tops as well as the GAHH product.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #7

very interesting.....when my car was getting the GT-3 front put on and painted, the paint guy took the liberty of finding a place that would put in a new plastic window (since mine is cracked and he thought it looked ugly!) at their quote was only $250 installed? $600 sounds way too high.

Anybody else get a new plastic window installed? What did you pay for it??
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #8

300 in cetral NJ by the former owner...
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:08 PM   #9

I had wondered about simply having the plastic window replaced without replacing the whole top.... But my car's PO didn't take very good care of the top, and it has some rough spots. There are no cracks or holes in the plastic window, but it's definitely not had a good life of care.

Do the GAHH plastic window tops still inhibit getting into the engine compartment? I'd really rather be able to access my engine, since I'm pretty much a self maintainer.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:29 PM   #10

Had a GAHH top put on last year on my 2000s - think one of the first ones they did. No issues and looking great with Raggtop maintenance.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:31 AM   #11

I too have a GAHH glass top on my 2002. No issues. Have not yet put it into service position, but will gladly pay an extra $50, if infact that is needed compared to the cheap plastic window. I think how it looks is more reflective of the installer rather than the top. mine looks factory.
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by docdyh
I too have a GAHH glass top on my 2002. No issues. Have not yet put it into service position, but will gladly pay an extra $50, if infact that is needed compared to the cheap plastic window. I think how it looks is more reflective of the installer rather than the top. mine looks factory.
I agree. I think it has to do more with the installer than the top itself. I've seen someone's car with the GAHH top in NJ, and it took their dealer a couple times install the top right (first couple times, there were small wrinkles at certain areas), but once they did finally get it right, it looked factory.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:05 AM   #13

Does anyone else have experience and what it cost to replace the plastic window with another one. I also thought 600.00 was pretty high, thanks,

Ed

Old 01-20-2007, 08:14 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
Does anyone else have experience and what it cost to replace the plastic window with another one. I also thought 600.00 was pretty high, thanks,

Ed
I charge $525. with green tinted plastic window installed. $410. labor to install new top. 862-222-4618
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #15

hey edevlin-

let's get together sometime in richmond. I want to hear/see your exhaust header mods to see the difference over stock before I spend a bunch of money on mine...

later

jeff
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:35 AM   #16

gahh top

Hello, i have installed a few gahh tops. The Indigo does not fit properly, it stretches more than black and must be modified. I replace green tinted plastic window for $525.00 and the labor to install top is $410. I have installed many factory tops for three nj porsche dealers as well. I specialize in all Porsche. Any ????? call....862-222-4618
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:35 AM   #17

Lets not turn this into an advertising forum..if you want to solicit business, ask them to send you a PM.
docdyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #18

Replaced Plastic Rear Window

I ended up getting the plastic window on my top replaced instead of a whole new top. It was expensive at 650.00 but that is at least a thousand dollars cheaper than it would have been to replace the top. After seeing what a good plastic rear window looks like I am glad I went this route.

I can get into the engine easily, and wow is it clear. It looks much bigger (it is not) because it is so transparent. I had gotten used to the cloudy area on my original window going down the center of the fold and around the edges which made the window look smaller, dim and difficult to see out of well. Its really something to be able to see clearly through a large, clear plastic rear window for the first time, recommended.

Ed

Old 01-26-2007, 05:06 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to Travis
Ed -

Good for you! I am glad you are happy.

Question for you:
Are you still a member of the "Top Chop" club or does the new window fold correctly and is it a better or thicker grade of plastic?

-T
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:11 AM   #20

I'm curious too....

My plastic window cracked in two places on me a few days ago. *$(#)*&!!!!!

My car's PO didn't take very good care of it. Had the hazy strip down the middle... lots of swirls and a few kinks.

Called one shop locally, he said $485 to replace the plastic window. Waiting on a reply from another shop. I'm going to inquire about a new top with a glass window, as I think both shops offer it. If $485 is a significant savings, I may try to get another couple years out of my current top.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote