Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #1

crashed, what can I do now

Hey, so I was on my way home with a friend and we got on the highway as were geting on the highway, doing maby 90. We start to move over a lane geting on to the highway and we start to spin. We spin one time hit a wall and spin again tell were in a ditch. Their is not to much too much damage but it took up the whole highway. Who showed up? 2 abulances, fire truck, fire suv thing, 3 police cars, and 3 tow trucks. as the car was coming to a stop were facing the right way and there are already two cars infront pulled over and 4 people came running to us, one was a police officer he sees if were ok, and just leaves lol. Two minits later all the rest came. after they closed down the highway, tell emergancy crews were gone, then they reclosed the highway to get the car back on the road to take away. as I was doing the report 3 other accidents happend on the same highway not far from mine. Yup charged with careless. even tho it wasnt my falt. from what I saw the rad, ac rad, bumper, grills, light, fender, wheel, and side marker lights and some damage under the car plus ruff sounding engine. :ah:

so anyways its now at a shop and i have to go in the morning and I have 3 questions:
1) can I chose to keep the car at that shop ?
2) can i pitch in the difrence $ to get the other dents out and a full paint job sence there doing most anyways with the insurance money?
3) how does determaning what to do about the engine work? like desideing what they will fix by sounding ruff or not ext.

sorry for spelling any help is awsome thanks.

Last edited by bosxter7; 01-17-2007 at 09:57 PM.
bosxter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:13 AM   #2
bmussatti

Sir, one thing that you can do is gain an understanding that this accident was in fact your fault. You need to take responsibility for driving 90 MPH. This will help you in the future, and maybe prevent this from happening again. Sorry about your damage. Hope no one got hurt.
Old 01-18-2007, 05:45 AM   #3

Smile

I was driving 90 MPH and it wasn't my fault.

Hmmmm!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:04 AM   #4

I hope you will take advantage and learn from this relatively cheap lesson. Many don't get that chance, or pay much higher price. Could be the best deal you'll ever get.

Z.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:22 AM   #5

sorry to all you amricanaz, I am from canada, I was doing 90kmh in a 100. so I was under the speed limit coming on to the highway. also it was not that cheap of a leason its around 14,000$ to fix

Last edited by bosxter7; 01-18-2007 at 06:28 AM.
bosxter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #6

A single car accident is your fault...period. Who else could be to blame?

Hey didn't you tell us yesterday that you were doing donuts 'till a teacher came out and stopped you?

Hmmmmmm...
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosxter7
sorry to all you amricanaz, I am from canada, I was doing 90kmh in a 100. so I was under the speed limit coming on to the highway. also it was not that cheap of a leason its around 14,000$ to fix
Believe me, it's cheap.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:59 AM   #8

I hope not all canadians spell so poorly. Second, a one car accident IS your fault. It would appear that given the conditions, even 90km/h was not "safe" enough, since you spun. In the US, these are the questions for your insurance company. If it was really $14,000USD, it sounds like the car would be "totaled" out. End of story. I would think that even 14,000 Canadian dollars would have the same effect.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:34 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
To echo everyone else's statements, before you do anything, you need to man up and take responsibility for a one-car accident. There are many situations where an entrance/exit ramp is NOT designed to be attempted anywhere near the posted speed limit on the highway. Additionally, road conditions often play a factor as well -- if you spun, it was likely wet or rainy. And if it wasn't, then the responsibility is STILL yours to make sure your tires are in good condition and that you're not operating at our near their limits.

Secondly, although the apology for the spelling is nice, I am absolutely dumbfounded that anyone, anywhere can have that bad of spelling and be at an age at which one can legally drive. Please tell me English is your second or third language!!

Now, for answers to your questions:

1. You or your insurance company will usually be charged a small per-day fee for storing a car at the shop
2. In my experience, yes, but you may want to check with your body shop and/or insurance company. It's pretty common for people to pitch in the extra money and replace an OEM part with an upgraded part or a part off of another car in these situations. I did it when rear-ended several years ago.
3. Wow, that question barely makes sense. I think what you're asking is what will happen w/ any engine damage. The body shop will inspect it and determine whether there was engine damage. It's usually pretty obvious -- a severed belt or something like that. They'll either repair it or contract it out to a mechanic if it's proven to be caused by the accident.
4. If the damage is $14k, it'll likely be totaled, unless we're talking an 05 or 06 or something.

Good luck in getting it repaired, and good luck in making some obviously necessary adjustements to your driving style. I learned a similar lesson in a similar way when I was younger, and it honestly changed my life -- and not even just with respect to how I drive. Hope this has a similar impact on you.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:46 AM   #10

Hi,

I'm sorry this happened to you whatever the fault/reason. At least no one appears to be hurt and that's the most important thing.

But, it is a demonstration of how different these cars can be from the everyday Hondas, Toyotas and such that most people are familiar with. This car can rear-up and bite those who are unprepared to match it's capabilities.

I have no way of knowing if such was the case with you or not. But it does bring up the benefit of some skilled driving courses for many. The car, as is, probably exceeds the abilities of many of the people driving them. Taking a course allows you to discover the car's limits (and your's) in a controlled environment so you don't have to learn on the street, or realize too late what not to do. Good Luck with the outcome...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 AM   #11

few questions:
so you were driving below the speed limit and spun, it happens. I've done it,
too much throttle when the steering was slightly turned but....
May ask you how cold it was outside in farenheit? and were you using
all season or winter tires? When did you last check the air pressures?

personally I would question and possibly fight the ticket. Did you tell him how fast you were driving? How was the officer to know that you weren't a victim of an equipment failure? He doesn't know that...

Is it possible you had a tire failure that was the fault of the tire manufacture?
Possibly a suspension failure? I had a shock fail on me only one week after installation. My fault? nope. I think the officer made a conclusion to blame you of "careless driving" a bit too prematurely.

To blame you for the accident occuring at all, is fine because you ended up in the ditch all by yourself but to cite you for "care less" driving seems like
bull to me. And makes me wonder if they will send your insurance company a bill for all those emergency crews, over time or whatever they do up there in Canada. I might have been inclined to cite you for inexperienced Boxster driving.
That doesn't have points, just a big repair bill.
Take the advice and join the Canadia Porsche Club and spend some time autocrossing. Know the limits of your car before you drive in cold climates.
and if you are driving on the wrong tires during winter you are very very lucky
to be alive. I was on a Miata forum a few years back and one member ended up in a ditch just like you did and did not survive. His passenger walked out fine.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-18-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:33 AM   #12

I'm glad that you didn't get hurt...

You were lucky. In my line of work, I've seen photographs and examined scenes of fatal accidents involving motor vehicles. Not a pretty sight. Count your blessings that you did not flip your vehicle. Otherwise, you would not be on the forum here today.

Please be safe. Again, thank god you're ok.
USA

:troll:
dharrisonwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:17 AM   #13

I'm sure you have talked to your insurance company --
they should help you through the process.

so anyways its now at a shop and i have to go in the morning and I have 3 questions:
1) can I chose to keep the car at that shop ?
2) can i pitch in the difference $ to get the other dents out and a full paint job sence there doing most anyways with the insurance money?
3) how does determining what to do about the engine work? like deciding what they will fix by sounding ruff or not ext.

1. Yes, you can choose the shop to repair your car -- but, the insurance company
may try to persuade you to use a less expensive body shop - all things are negotiable - depends on how good a negotiator you are.
2. Yes, you can always add work to the bill and pay for it.
3. Engine damage -- get it to a dealer ASAP and discuss with the Insurance folks.

And, don't forget Rental car expense and Diminished Value !!
IMO - I would push for "totaled" damage and get an independent auto appraiser.

Ed
Sboxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #14

Diminished Value will not be applicable here. You can't recover for your own acts causing diminished value. Now, if someone else hit you, that's a different story.
USA

:troll:
dharrisonwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #15

It is amazing to me how far cars have come on the safety front.

Glad you are OK. Sorry to hear about your expense, but really, that is much better than it could have turned out.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:26 PM   #16

Smile

Now, about that spelling and grammar...........

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:34 PM   #17

A single car accident... and the officer had a visual on ya. Something similar happened to me in a pick-up. I was crising at about 45 in a 55 during a torrential rain. Others were passing me. Some crack pot decides to cut the exit short and cuts directly into my path without a signal. I tap the breaks and go skating.

Long story short was that an unmarked officer was a couple of cars behind me as I slid into a ditch. Very concerned, friendly...but still wrote the ticket for SPEED NOT PRUDENT TO CONDITIONS. I also got billed for the lawn job (and repair) I did on the drainage ditch. Ya can't beat the man.

Chalk it up and hug someone ya love... glad your in one piece. I've have personally see single car accidents that cost a life.

Good Luck...
Old 01-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDice
A single car accident... and the officer had a visual on ya. Something similar happened to me in a pick-up. I was crising at about 45 in a 55 during a torrential rain. Others were passing me. Some crack pot decides to cut the exit short and cuts directly into my path without a signal. I tap the breaks and go skating.

Long story short was that an unmarked officer was a couple of cars behind me as I slid into a ditch. Very concerned, friendly...but still wrote the ticket for SPEED NOT PRUDENT TO CONDITIONS. I also got billed for the lawn job (and repair) I did on the drainage ditch. Ya can't beat the man.

Chalk it up and hug someone ya love... glad your in one piece. I've have personally see single car accidents that cost a life.

Good Luck...
Hi,

Unfortunately, yea, that can happen. This is where the Officer's judgement comes into play. What may be prudent for some cars, may not be so for others. Though hoping that you won't even have a next time, I hope it goes the other way for you if you should ...

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #19

In my experience insurance companies don't care about the shop you use, they just care about how much their preferred shop tells them repairs will cost (and cut you a check for that amount). Is that not the case with all auto insurers?

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Unfortunately, yea, that can happen. This is where the Officer's judgement comes into play. What may be prudent for some cars, may not be so for others. Though hoping that you won't even have a next time, I hope it goes the other way for you if you should ...

There always seems to be a next time... I had mine. 2005 C6 Corvette. I was stopped at a light and a sweet little old lady plowed into my back end (500 brand new miles). $3,500 in cosmetic damage (except for some issues with the exhaust). The dealer hooked me up with a replacement B&B exhaust instead of the factory stuff. Man that thing sounded good when it was running!