View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
YellowJacket

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
To echo everyone else's statements, before you do anything, you need to man up and take responsibility for a one-car accident. There are many situations where an entrance/exit ramp is NOT designed to be attempted anywhere near the posted speed limit on the highway. Additionally, road conditions often play a factor as well -- if you spun, it was likely wet or rainy. And if it wasn't, then the responsibility is STILL yours to make sure your tires are in good condition and that you're not operating at our near their limits.

Secondly, although the apology for the spelling is nice, I am absolutely dumbfounded that anyone, anywhere can have that bad of spelling and be at an age at which one can legally drive. Please tell me English is your second or third language!!

Now, for answers to your questions:

1. You or your insurance company will usually be charged a small per-day fee for storing a car at the shop
2. In my experience, yes, but you may want to check with your body shop and/or insurance company. It's pretty common for people to pitch in the extra money and replace an OEM part with an upgraded part or a part off of another car in these situations. I did it when rear-ended several years ago.
3. Wow, that question barely makes sense. I think what you're asking is what will happen w/ any engine damage. The body shop will inspect it and determine whether there was engine damage. It's usually pretty obvious -- a severed belt or something like that. They'll either repair it or contract it out to a mechanic if it's proven to be caused by the accident.
4. If the damage is $14k, it'll likely be totaled, unless we're talking an 05 or 06 or something.

Good luck in getting it repaired, and good luck in making some obviously necessary adjustements to your driving style. I learned a similar lesson in a similar way when I was younger, and it honestly changed my life -- and not even just with respect to how I drive. Hope this has a similar impact on you.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote