Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
In my experience insurance companies don't care about the shop you use, they just care about how much their preferred shop tells them repairs will cost (and cut you a check for that amount). Is that not the case with all auto insurers?

-David
Hi,

I think you're right. Insurance Cos. will try to steer you in the direction which costs them the least. But, the policyholders rights vary by both the Ins. Co. and possibly their State. Here in MN, you can select any shop you choose and can opt for OEM vs Replacement panels. IIRC, my cousin in upstate NY didn't have these options when his car was damaged...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-18-2007 at 08:00 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
few questions:
so you were driving below the speed limit and spun, it happens. I've done it,
too much throttle when the steering was slightly turned but....
May ask you how cold it was outside in farenheit? and were you using
all season or winter tires? When did you last check the air pressures?
it was -6 out and the roads were wet there was only snow on the sides not on the road, it was still water. I have summer tires on. and to who ever said ramps were not made for speed. it was parallel to the highway a strate on ramp only when changed lanes did i spin.
bosxter7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosxter7
it was -6 out and the roads were wet there was only snow on the sides not on the road, it was still water. I have summer tires on. and to who ever said ramps were not made for speed. it was parallel to the highway a strate on ramp only when changed lanes did i spin.
Hi,

I think it was the Lexan Engine Cover that did it...

Old 01-18-2007, 08:32 PM   #24

Forum Friendly Tip...

boxster7,

Your engine cover is very unique. Save this image & upload it to use for your signature (yours is kinda huge... and has a color palette attached to it).

2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com

Last edited by Jeph; 01-18-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:06 PM   #25

Hi,

Boxster7, that's not the Adrenalizer engine cover, is it a custom job?

Old 01-19-2007, 12:53 AM   #26

"it was -6 out and the roads were wet there was only snow on the sides not on the road, it was still water. I have summer tires on. "

At -6 degrees, wet (if not frozen, ie. black ice), salt, snow on the sides of road, maybe low tire pressures, summer tires... I agree, It was probably the engine cover!

2000 non-S Guards RED
Mostly stock-so far...
rear speakers
3 spoke
K+N
Red bumperettes
Speedster humps
Planning:
some stinkin' cup holders
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:26 AM   #27

Quote:
You should have consulted djomlas for the proper lane changing technique while driving at below freezing temperatures with summer tires. Looks like he's been doing it consistently, or at least 9 times out of 10.

Now seriously, dj, I hope you read this and will consider winter tires for the winter. No matter how good driver you are, you only need to slip once to make all the difference.

Z.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:43 AM   #28

Quote:
SPQR
Senatus Populusque BoxsterRomanus
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 05:11 AM   #29

Smile

Winter tires in winter is a good idea!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:27 AM   #30

Quote:
How can you honestly say that the accident was not your fault? You were driving 90km/h merging onto a highway in wet conditions at -6° C on summer tires. That's just idiotic! I am a Canadian as well and I too have a Boxster with summer tires. I most likely would not take it out at that temperature and if I did I most assuredly would not EVER go zooming onto a highway onramp doing 90km/h. I would merge at a slow safe pace until I determined that it was safe and then slowly increased speed if I felt comfortable doing so.

As for the spelling, guys - give him/her a break. It's very possible he/she is Chinese or other ethnicity and English is not his/her first language.
Old 01-19-2007, 01:57 PM   #31

Hey Bosx7 : you should appeal that citation. You might check your State statutes for a definition of careless but I will bet it is not defined. The Clerk Magistrate will likely rule in your favor. Even if he doesn't waive the fine he may not count it against your driving record so you'll keep your points. Look on your citation and the Statute will be "cited" on it. Go online and read and print the applicable Statute(s). Bring it to your appeal.

Doesn't sound like you were driving careless enough to warrant a citation. Meanwhile, hordes of idiots are speeding, weaving, cutting, tailgating with abandon.

Good luck with that!
Old 01-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #32

Quote:
-6 degrees and wet roads... snow on the sides, and you have summer tires...

even if you were doing below the speed limit, you were doing VERY close to it 90kph in a 100kph zone...

... you were likely driving too fast for the conditions. Conditions like that probably warrant doing 50% OR LESS than the posted speed limit.

For instance... I drove home the other night, in my Boxster, with summer tires, at near freezing temperatures with slush on the roads. In a 45mph stretch of highway, I WOULD NOT GO FASTER than 25mph.

I hope either your car gets fixed, or you get another one, but YOU are at fault in this situation. I have little sympathy for you.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:06 PM   #33

Smile

OK, we beat this one to death.

Anyone mind if I close this thread?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote