Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2007, 08:34 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston C4S
What the Boxster is about, at least to me, can be summed
up in a single word...

Balance.
Mark you really hit the nail on the head from my perspective. I have owned a lot of cars, and without fail, when I was in an economic position to mod them, I did - and quite heavily in several cases.

When I bought my 987 new, I assumed I would do the same thing and start modding immediately, but have found it to be such a perfect balance of everything, that I believe it needs nothing, and anything I did would upset this wonderful package. My friends and family have been very surprised. Knowing me, the first thing they have asked is, "so, what have you done to it?"

The only thing I have wound up doing was adding the Bel RX75 remote mounted radar detector/ laser jammer so I can enjoy my car's "balance" with a little more piece of mind.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg

Last edited by Dr. Kill; 01-20-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:38 AM   #62

[QUOTE=MNBoxster]Hi,

OK, whatever - you win!...

Sweeet! :dance:

Where are my fabulous prizes?
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 04:20 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Mark, very well said.

I too have driven a lot of cars before. Close before buying my Box I test drove a 987, 997, and 987S in that order in the same day -- never having driven a Porsche before. I wasn't even that serious about buying a car at that time. I was having fun contemplating and testing various models over the preceding year (BMW 5, M3, Audi S4, RS6, MB E500, E55, etc.) as I was looking to replace my 9yr old Maxima with something better -- but didn't really have to as I don't need a car for commuting.

From the moment I drove the 987 I knew I was in trouble. I had never before had so much fun in a car while at the same time feeling the balance, safety, and control that actually allow you to feel comfortable having the fun. Keep in mind that playing with the probablility of ending up in a ditch is NOT my definition of fun, though for some it may be.

Then came the 997 test drive and it showed the sweetness of the low end grunt and the benefit of a larger engine. But it wasn't a convertible, doesn't look as good as a convertible, was too butt heavy compared to the 987, the interior was the same, and it would have costed $40k more than the 987S.

So even before getting into the 987S I knew I was done for. On paper, it should have combined all the positives of the 987 and 997, without the negatives of the 997. When I actually drove it I literally could not wipe the grin off my face, even though I tried to contain it next to the salesman. A month later (last May) I picked up my triple-black 987S from a dealer that offered me the best deal in the area.

This car changed the concepts of "driving" and "weekend" for me. I only drive it on weekends and in the country (far away from the city). I can't wait for the weekend to come so that I can just get out there and drive it. No other car that I have driven (and I've driven the Miata and the S2000, too) would have encouraged me to arrange this set-up -- leaving the Maxima for the occasional errand around the city. The 987S did. That's how good I feel it is.

Undoubtedly, there are plenty of other cars out there that are as good or better, and even tough I can comfortably afford almost all of them, I am a value seeker at heart, and for me the 987S is the best bargain in the sports car, convertible, AND roadster universe, bar none. I am also very image conscious -- but in the opposite sense, as ostentation is not my thing. So the fact that this Box is a Porsche had absolutely nothing to contribute to my decision to buy it. If anything, it may have hurt the decision, given the "rich folk" notoriety of the brand. So I got the Box, despite that, too.

Now, after becoming a PCA member and enjoying a few excellently organized events through the club (DE, rally, coffee run, etc.), I appreciate meeting all these Porsche people who are nothing but great, helpful, and enthusiastic folks sharing the Porsche secret together. I have a feeling it wouldn't have been the same with any other brand, but I could be wrong.

Just my $.02.

Z.
Great write up, Z !

I always dreamed of owning a 911, until I took my first test drive in a Boxster

Next goal, buy myself a NEW Boxster for my 40th Birthday...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )

Last edited by NickCats; 01-21-2007 at 04:30 PM.
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote