View Single Post
Old 01-17-2007, 05:50 AM   #2
FrayAdjacent

I can understand your situation. I bought my 2001 Boxster three weeks ago. I was concerned, and hesitant, due to reading a lot about engine failures, rear main seal leaks... and all kinds of problems.

However, I also realize that doing 'research' on internet forums such as this, will 'over-represent' issues with these cars. Sure, you'll find people here that actually DID have some of the more widely known problems... but you'll also find a TON more people parroting about the problems, making them seem much more prevalent than they really are.

Given I was recently in the same situation, I'd recommend buying a Boxster. Look around, there are tons for sale. Get the newest and best condition car you can find. Look into getting a warranty on it. Have the car inspected by a Porsche mechanic.

So you know, engine failures in Boxsters seem to be from engine casting quality, and generally affects 98-99 models. 2000+ went with a different engine, and don't seem to be prone to the same type of thing. Rear main seal leaks still happen, but for the most part, RMS leaks are just an annoyance.

Most of us will never encounter any problems during the course of our ownership of these fine cars. Good luck with your search! I bet you'll love the Boxster if you end up with one!

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote