Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #41

I guess my absolute dream 911 would be one of the turbo varieties. Not for the power but for the look. Personally I like the look of the 993 or the 911SC.

Cheers

dale

richmond058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond058
I guess my absolute dream 911 would be one of the turbo varieties. Not for the power but for the look. Personally I like the look of the 993 or the 911SC.

Cheers

dale

Dale -

Um.. well. SC's can be had from $8K (rough) to $16K (very competant daily driver) cars.

993's seem to be low $20s to mid $50s depending on mileage/condition.

Boxsters (986's) run from low teens (12-13K to mid 20's) for nice Non-s versions.

While I don't recall your price range, it would appear that an SC or 993 could be had for the same money as a Boxster.

SC's and 993's don't drive anything like one another. Sure they look similar (the roofline never changed) but the power/luxuries of the 993 are not present in the SC. The SC has a nice light rawness to it. COMPLETELY different cars.

Don't overlook the 964's either (1989-1994) as an excellent blend of SC and 993 virtues.

Sounds like you have a lot more test driving to do
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:41 PM   #43

MNBoxster wrote:
> If the Boxster is such a perfect car, why is everyone tripping
> over each other to change it? What is it I'm missing?

Seeing that you are quite knowable, I don't think you miss much anything.

However, I think many Boxster owners are quite similar to, say, Ducati owners -- although very passionate about their bikes, they like to modify and enhance them even further. F.ex, I doubt many Jaguar X owners would consider any mods done to their car, but does that make it a more "perfect" car..?

I guess some vehicles just attract certain personality. The Boxster is like a crippled race-car -- a bit similar to Ducati's "race first, sell later" philosophy.

-- peer
Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:42 PM   #44

Smile

I believe that each Boxster takes on the subjective reality of the owner. In fact, the Boxster without context means, well nothing.

So, one guys looks at a stock boxster and is bewitched. The next guy only sees the mods that he is going to make.

And so on.

Lets face it guy, it is a great car and some folks only see it as a starting point.

Let the good times roll!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #45

Am I the only one that wasn't offended by Jim's post?

Compared to other comparably-priced cars, the 986 Boxster has less power. Although the 987s are getting closer, it's a known fact Porsche has knocked down the Boxster's power potential a bit to maintain their idea of proper market seperation. If straight-line is important to you, I think it's a fair point to consider.

The Boxster also isn't God's gift to corners. If you want that, get an Elise. I was really surprised to find it had all Mcpherson vs. multilink suspension. There -ARE- a few better cornering cars out there for the racing fans, but it's a matter of priorities.

Personally, I find the Boxster is pretty damn good for the money. It's a good car, a great compromise, and always fun. But even the Porsche Prayer appeals to a Ferrari, it's just a matter of priorities...

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg

Last edited by David N.; 01-18-2007 at 07:33 PM.
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #46

If you end up wanting a roadster over a coupe - get the Boxster! This is THE roadster. The S2000 may be great - but it's a honda. I think you deserve a Porsche - you won't be sorry. Can't say the same thing if you take home the S2000.

As for mods:

I never thought I would mod my car. That is..... 'Till I saw TriGem's ride!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:29 PM   #47

Hi,

It's interesting that the S2000 comes up as often as it does in Boxster comparisons.

When it (S2000) first came out (well actually before as I was following it in the literature), I thought it was a car that would appeal to me. But, once I drove it, it just didn't do it for me.

It wasn't just one thing either, not the Ski Jump-shaped power curve, not the handling (or lack thereof), not the whining powerplant noise, the styling (IMHO) looked much better in Mags than it did in person (always sort of reminds me of the Jensen-Healey - another example of Not Quite Right). It was just the overall sullen impression that it left with me. Very similar to that of the NSX - not so much a Sports Car as someone's interpretation of a Sports Car.

But, this review of the Boxster (smattered, once again, with references to the S2000), seems to offer a fairly unbiased review of the Boxster - not all good, not all bad and a perspective which I haven't seen offered on this Forum - http://www10.epinions.com/content_179278483076

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-19-2007 at 06:41 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 01:17 AM   #48
lwc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
. . . this review of the Boxster (smattered, once again, with references to the S2000), seems to offer a fairly unbiased review of the Boxster - not all good, not all bad and a perspective which I haven't seen offered on this Forum - http://www10.epinions.com/content_179278483076

That was an interesting review, thanks.

My .02, one can carry golf clubs in the rear trunk of a Boxster.
lwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 02:50 AM   #49

Okay kids, I am going to jump in here just one more time.

I don't know if this will clarify it or not, but here is how I see
it from the point of view of someone who has spent a lifetime
around cars, built plenty of them (of various sorts, some as
rebuilds, some as modifications) and generally I am a pretty
knowledgeable guy on the car topic.

Plus, for the most part, I can read and write a little.

What the Boxster is about, at least to me, can be summed
up in a single word...

Balance.

I admit, I like the brand. But I cannot name a single car that
has the balance of style, weight distribution, power, handling,
ride, features, just plain ol' top down fun as the Boxster.

Then there is the brand thing.

Not one. The Miata? Great car.

Corvette? Well, if that's your cup of tea it's a good sports car
for the money.

Honda? "Gee. When I grow up I always dreamed of having a...
Honda???"

So that's it for me.

An older 911 can indeed be had in that price range. But does
it have the balance of a Boxster? Nope.

Dale, drive one and see.

You don't need to modify it at all. I haven't -- other than putting
on a 2004 S muffler to get just a tad more exhaust note.

It is a sweetheart of a car.

It's all about balance and that balance can be a metaphor for your life.
You need balance there, too. Of career, family, time, hobbies, spirituality,
etc. When you are in balance, you feel great about yourself and others
around you.

When your car is in balance, it really won't matter if you have 200 horsepower
or 250 or more. It is all those things together that matter.

Change anything too much and you aren't balanced anymore. In your
car or in your life.

So there you go.

I'm through for now. I gotta make like a dog with worms...

and scoot...

- Mark
Houston C4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:41 AM   #50

Quote:
Hi,

But, this review of the Boxster (smattered, once again, with references to the S2000), seems to offer a fairly unbiased review of the Boxster - not all good, not all bad and a perspective which I haven't seen offered on this Forum - http://www10.epinions.com/content_179278483076

From the review suggested above:

'I'll begin with the engine. The cabins of mid-engine cars like the Boxster tend to be flooded with engine noise. Not this one. I could barely hear the engine. The throaty exhaust, certainly, but not the engine. Before I had a chance to voice my surprise the salesperson explained that buyers had complained of too much engine noise. They wanted to hear the exhaust, not the engine. And for 2005 that's one of the "improvements." '

Is this true? Can anyone with a 2005 or later attest to this? If it is true, it definitely detracts from buying a 2005+ IMHO! I love the sound of the engine!
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 03:55 AM   #51

Well I did test drive a 2005 with a tiptronic and all I could hear was the exhaust note. Did sound sweet though.......

cheers

dale
richmond058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 04:05 AM   #52

Mark, very well said.

I too have driven a lot of cars before. Close before buying my Box I test drove a 987, 997, and 987S in that order in the same day -- never having driven a Porsche before. I wasn't even that serious about buying a car at that time. I was having fun contemplating and testing various models over the preceding year (BMW 5, M3, Audi S4, RS6, MB E500, E55, etc.) as I was looking to replace my 9yr old Maxima with something better -- but didn't really have to as I don't need a car for commuting.

From the moment I drove the 987 I knew I was in trouble. I had never before had so much fun in a car while at the same time feeling the balance, safety, and control that actually allow you to feel comfortable having the fun. Keep in mind that playing with the probablility of ending up in a ditch is NOT my definition of fun, though for some it may be.

Then came the 997 test drive and it showed the sweetness of the low end grunt and the benefit of a larger engine. But it wasn't a convertible, doesn't look as good as a convertible, was too butt heavy compared to the 987, the interior was the same, and it would have costed $40k more than the 987S.

So even before getting into the 987S I knew I was done for. On paper, it should have combined all the positives of the 987 and 997, without the negatives of the 997. When I actually drove it I literally could not wipe the grin off my face, even though I tried to contain it next to the salesman. A month later (last May) I picked up my triple-black 987S from a dealer that offered me the best deal in the area.

This car changed the concepts of "driving" and "weekend" for me. I only drive it on weekends and in the country (far away from the city). I can't wait for the weekend to come so that I can just get out there and drive it. No other car that I have driven (and I've driven the Miata and the S2000, too) would have encouraged me to arrange this set-up -- leaving the Maxima for the occasional errand around the city. The 987S did. That's how good I feel it is.

Undoubtedly, there are plenty of other cars out there that are as good or better, and even tough I can comfortably afford almost all of them, I am a value seeker at heart, and for me the 987S is the best bargain in the sports car, convertible, AND roadster universe, bar none. I am also very image conscious -- but in the opposite sense, as ostentation is not my thing. So the fact that this Box is a Porsche had absolutely nothing to contribute to my decision to buy it. If anything, it may have hurt the decision, given the "rich folk" notoriety of the brand. So I got the Box, despite that, too.

Now, after becoming a PCA member and enjoying a few excellently organized events through the club (DE, rally, coffee run, etc.), I appreciate meeting all these Porsche people who are nothing but great, helpful, and enthusiastic folks sharing the Porsche secret together. I have a feeling it wouldn't have been the same with any other brand, but I could be wrong.

Just my $.02.

Z.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:13 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump

'I'll begin with the engine. The cabins of mid-engine cars like the Boxster tend to be flooded with engine noise. Not this one. I could barely hear the engine. The throaty exhaust, certainly, but not the engine. Before I had a chance to voice my surprise the salesperson explained that buyers had complained of too much engine noise. They wanted to hear the exhaust, not the engine. And for 2005 that's one of the "improvements." '

Is this true? Can anyone with a 2005 or later attest to this? If it is true, it definitely detracts from buying a 2005+ IMHO! I love the sound of the engine!
I haven't driven a 986 so can't compare, but I can definitely hear the engine and I love the sound of the engine and exhaust -- especially at 4k+ rpms. My fiance can hear it too, and the verdict is that if it gets any louder I'd be driving it solo much more often. For now, I'm not interested in increasing the frequency of my solo runs, so the noise level is just optimal.

Z.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:03 AM   #54

I hear plenty of engine....especially the high pitched whine on the downshift....I can't imagine it being any louder to tell you the truth.....sometimes when i have to take a phone call I have to tell the engine to shut up
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 09:06 PM   #55

I love my 1997 Boxster and haven't had any major problems yet besides the ones I create on those rainy weekends.
Buy the car and enjoy it
2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:12 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump

You have to take into account that the "review" is actually just some guy who hangs out on epinions, writing lots of "reviews". It's based on a test drive of Boxster from a dealership. and the guy is a professed Porsche hater, as he wrote "The upshot: I must admit to a not entirely rational prejudice against Porsches so strong that it has prevented me from even driving the cars."

Yeah... that "review" just oozes credibility.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 07:24 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
You have to take into account that the "review" is actually just some guy who hangs out on epinions, writing lots of "reviews". It's based on a test drive of Boxster from a dealership. and the guy is a professed Porsche hater, as he wrote "The upshot: I must admit to a not entirely rational prejudice against Porsches so strong that it has prevented me from even driving the cars."

Yeah... that "review" just oozes credibility.

Hi,

All of what you say is true, but that doesn't mean it's not a fair review or a different persapective.

The guy doesn't Trash the Boxster, he makes several ponts in it's favor and several not so, but he does end up recommending it in the end. Would everyone be so critical of his review if it came back with nothing but glowing praise for the car? And, if it did, would that be a fair review?...

Old 01-20-2007, 08:24 AM   #58

Quote:
Hi,

All of what you say is true, but that doesn't mean it's not a fair review or a different persapective.
Of course it does. A person who is admittedly biased against Porsches takes a (almost certainly) chaperoned test drive for a few minutes, then writes something on Epinions, and you call that a "fair review"? I call that a biased first impression, at best. You can't be biased and fair at the same time.

Maybe my standards for car reviews run a little higher than yours. I tend to think of several days time with the car, track time, varying road trips, and open-minded professional drivers when I think of a car review. Not some Epinion hack with a five minute salesman-mandated test drive loop under his belt. You don't seriously think that qualifies as a review, do you?
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackG
Of course it does. A person who is admittedly biased against Porsches takes a (almost certainly) chaperoned test drive for a few minutes, then writes something on Epinions, and you call that a "fair review"? I call that a biased first impression, at best. You can't be biased and fair at the same time.

Maybe my standards for car reviews run a little higher than yours. I tend to think of several days time with the car, track time, varying road trips, and open-minded professional drivers when I think of a car review. Not some Epinion hack with a five minute salesman-mandated test drive loop under his belt. You don't seriously think that qualifies as a review, do you?

Hi,

OK, whatever - you win!...

Old 01-20-2007, 08:29 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I believe that each Boxster takes on the subjective reality of the owner. In fact, the Boxster without context means, well nothing.
Very Zen of you Bruce. I will meditate on this.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg

Last edited by Dr. Kill; 01-20-2007 at 08:37 AM.
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote