Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #21

Dale, I'll give my 2 cents worth and you can take it or leave it. It's only my story on my Boxster. Everyones story will be a little different because... we are all different and the reason we bought Boxsters are all different to some degree. I replaced a 1967 Austin Healey 3000 that my wife and I owned for 7 years. It was a lot of fun for 7 years but frankly we got a little tired putting up with its vintage qualities. We wanted something to drive that looked great, had a good convertible top, handled well, had more power than the Healey and was something we could trust to get us to our destination and back comfortably. We both loved the looks of the Boxster so I started doing my homework, just like you are doing. I read about the early engine failures, RMS failures, and the cost involved in repairing what may go wrong. I discovered what a lot before me have written here and most is true. This purchase is going to be a GUT decision... Some of us purchase cars and have no trouble and some are not as lucky. Some use their cars for everyday travel and some only on the nicer weekends. Some drive harder than others, some bought better used Boxsters than others. I wanted a Boxster real bad so I was determined to buy one only after careful inspection and from the original owner who used it just as I plan to use mine. There is always some luck involved in purchasing used... any car! If you pick a good Boxster that fills your needs you won't be disappointed, I wasn't!

2000 non-S Guards RED
Mostly stock-so far...
rear speakers
3 spoke
K+N
Red bumperettes
Speedster humps
Planning:
some stinkin' cup holders
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:37 PM   #22

Dale, Buying new or used? If buying new you shouldn't be as concerned about reliablity.

2000 non-S Guards RED
Mostly stock-so far...
rear speakers
3 spoke
K+N
Red bumperettes
Speedster humps
Planning:
some stinkin' cup holders
rebeltown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:41 AM   #23

I certainly appreciate all the replys particularly the more spirited ones! I am going to begin the process of purchasing the automobile sometime this late spring or summer.

Cheers,

dale
richmond058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:46 AM   #24

What a shame and so embarrassing. The guy’s first post and our obnoxious member rears his ugly head. Let me say this is not usual behavior for the forum so don’t let this member influence continued questions or comments. This is a Porsche board so of course we will mostly give the Boxster our vote. As for you oh child like one, I will not be baited into argument and think I made clear what your comments mean to me.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:29 AM   #25

Just thought of something else, Dale.

One forum member who goes by MikenOhio (I hope I got the spelling right on that) just bought his second boxster this last year. His first boxster was bought new in 2000 and he drove it hard on the track 4x a year and it was his daily driver. He owned it for 5 years and said he only did oil changes on the car and never had a single problem with it.

He was so impressed with the reliability that he bought an 2006 and has been enjoying that car too (evidently so much that he's not posting much here!).

I think there are many Boxster owners who drive their cars and enjoy them and find them to be as reliable as other cars. Forums like this will always have a lot of chatter about repairs because forum are great for that... owners helping owners solve problems.

Where do you live in Texas anyway? You never posted that.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 05:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

BS, you simply took the opportunity to bash my post. I'm not buying any of the other babble.

But, if you want a Porche Badge crossing your driveway 1st, than it's a good choice.

And since when did you have the authority, or the insite for that matter, to speak on behalf of the entire group at large?

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Dale,

I think a little clarification may be in order, so that you are not confused by the apparent misspelling/misuse of several words in some of our posts.

First, the majority of us spell "Porche" Porsche. I can see where "Porche" might confuse you, the word being neither porch, nor Porsche.

I think a fellow forum member also meant to state then it's a good choice, not "than it's a good choice".

Additionally, most of us spell "insite", insight.

Being a renowned author of both stage and screen and a man of boundless intelligence, a fellow forum member may use words in contexts, which, at first blush, may appear to be incorrect, when in fact we are just not astute enough to recognize the sheer brilliance of the verbiage.

Let me know if you require further assistance. Until then I'll be over here, continuing to be not very smart.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
What a shame and so embarrassing. The guy’s first post and our obnoxious member rears his ugly head. Let me say this is not usual behavior for the forum so don’t let this member influence continued questions or comments. This is a Porsche board so of course we will mostly give the Boxster our vote. As for you oh child like one, I will not be baited into argument and think I made clear what your comments mean to me.
Hi,

I don't find it a shame or embarrassing. I gave an honest assessment of what a great number of owners have expressed here, that the car is underpowered, and that it's handling can be improved.

OH, let's be honest. You know that all this animosity between us started when you and I disagreed about your mods and that you took offense and got personal. Things admittedly, and regretfully, escalated from there into a lot of ugliness. You were apparently offended to the degree that you now seem to make criticizing me your goal. Anyone reading this Forum can see that this is true.

That's OK, I concede your right to do so. You can make shaded references to me or call me names, but hopefully this will pass with time. If not, you'll be wasting your time as I will not get involved. I have no desire to keep up the fight with you, and won't. Peace Out!

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-18-2007 at 06:37 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond058
I certainly appreciate all the replys particularly the more spirited ones! I am going to begin the process of purchasing the automobile sometime this late spring or summer.

Cheers,

dale

If you have the funds, and depending on where you live, you can probably get a better deal on a convertible right now than amidst the top-down season.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:13 AM   #29

Quote:
OH, let's be honest. You know that all this animosity between us started when you and I disagreed about your mods and that you took offense and got personal. Things admittedly, and regretfully, escalated from there into a lot of ugliness. You were apparently offended to the degree that you now seem to make criticizing me your goal. Anyone reading this Forum can see that this is true.

That's OK, I concede your right to do so. You can make shaded references to me or call me names, but hopefully this will pass with time. If not, you'll be wasting your time as I will not get involved. I have no desire to keep up the fight with you, and won't. Peace Out!
must every thread turn into this??? maybe Bruce lee should start handing out time outs....sorry MN but this statement:
'You will find it underpowered (according to the majority here - budget an 'S' or Supercharger at least (don't forget the gauges whatever you do), with imperfect handling (again judging by the Wheel/Tire/Springs and other suspension mod popularities)."

was a cheap shot that started this all up. So if you really believe in your own statement of:

"You can make shaded references to me or call me names, but hopefully this will pass with time. If not, you'll be wasting your time as I will not get involved. I have no desire to keep up the fight with you, and won't. "

Then don't instigate other members with your remarks. Enough is enough already.......

Dale, buy the car!!!!! In terms of power and mods, most people want them. I mean Chevy bumps the power in their vettes over time, same with mustangs, people want more horses....nature of the beast.....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:33 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
must every thread turn into this??? maybe Bruce lee should start handing out time outs....sorry MN but this statement:
'You will find it underpowered (according to the majority here - budget an 'S' or Supercharger at least (don't forget the gauges whatever you do), with imperfect handling (again judging by the Wheel/Tire/Springs and other suspension mod popularities)."

was a cheap shot that started this all up. So if you really believe in your own statement of:

"You can make shaded references to me or call me names, but hopefully this will pass with time. If not, you'll be wasting your time as I will not get involved. I have no desire to keep up the fight with you, and won't. "

Then don't instigate other members with your remarks. Enough is enough already.......

Dale, buy the car!!!!! In terms of power and mods, most people want them. I mean Chevy bumps the power in their vettes over time, same with mustangs, people want more horses....nature of the beast.....
Hi,

Let's crank it down a notch shall we?

Isn't the consensus that the Boxster is underpowered?

Aren't many people looking to improve the handling?

Wasn't the majority opinion of those contributing to both of OH's gauge threads that these were a good thing?

Cheap Shot? Where? I am not looking to be divisive, or start a brawl, are you?

Happy Motoring!.. Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-18-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:01 AM   #31

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
The Boxster is a great car. When I bought mine, I drove several cars, new and used, not all verts, including 993, 9-3, G35 coupe, 350z, TSX, Z3, Z4, 330ic. On paper, the Boxster was one of the worst options -- slower, older, no space, etc. But it had that unexplainable "fun" factor that I been looking for since my 88 325i convertible that I bought in high school, that most new cars seem to lack in all their refinement, sound-proofing, and seclusion.

I haven't looked back. Having put 32k on it in the last 2 years, I've only paid for one expense out of pocket (window regulator for $500) that wasn't part of one of the service intervals. No tires, no brakes, no other unscheduled repairs. The key is a good PPI and buying a car w/ a good history (if used).

Regarding how "imperfect" the car is, I have not felt the need to mod anything. I will probably upgrade to 18" rims when I need tires, just for the look. If I ever get into an accident (hopefully not!), I will probably do like many people on this forum and pay the extra to upgrade to the newer bumpers or lights, but even that I'm not doing if I have to pay for it 100% out of pocket. Would a supercharger be great? Of course, but who wouldn't want more power? If I had a Z06 and you offered me another 10 hp, I'd take it. That doesn't mean that the Z06 is underpowered, though.

I think it's a great car. But that should be obvious -- that's why for the first time in 4 cars, my money went to Porsche instead of BMW.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:10 AM   #32

Quote:
Hi,

Let's crank it down a notch shall we?

Isn't the consensus that the Boxster is underpowered?

Aren't many people looking to improve the handling?

Wasn't the majority opinion of those contributing to both of OH's gauge threads that these were a good thing?

Cheap Shot? Where? I am not looking to be divisive, or start a brawl, are you?

Happy Motoring!.. Jim'99
not looking to start a brawl.....thats why I said why does it always come down to this....MN, if you take a second to be honest with yourself, you know none of this happens if you don't state:

you said you're a writer, you know what you are doing....so if you truly don't want to start anythin as you stated earlier, then next time just state as you did above that the consensus seems to be that the Boxster is underpowered and many people on this board look to improve the handling.....now if one of your fans speak up, its on them....but it was provoked in this instance.....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:11 AM   #33

Enthusiasts almost invariably want to "improve" their cars, Porsche people no less than any others. I know more than a few 911 folks who have "improved" their cars to the point that they can no longer drive them on the street.
The real trouble with a Boxster is that it is complicated and expensive to make anything but the most miniscule performance improvements.
Personally, I don't feel that my '99 Boxster with 201hp and an automatic transmission is underpowered, but I also realize that there are other opinions.
After all, Ayrton Senna ********************ed constantly about not having enough power in whatever F1 car he was driving, and he had 700+ hp in a 1,200lb car to play with.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66
not looking to start a brawl.....thats why I said why does it always come down to this....MN, if you take a second to be honest with yourself, you know none of this happens if you don't state:

you said you're a writer, you know what you are doing....so if you truly don't want to start anythin as you stated earlier, then next time just state as you did above that the consensus seems to be that the Boxster is underpowered and many people on this board look to improve the handling.....now if one of your fans speak up, its on them....but it was provoked in this instance.....
Hi,

You're making waay too much of this... let it go. I am...

Old 01-18-2007, 09:38 AM   #35
1JB

Quote:
My dream car has always been a porsche. 911 to be exact but financial fortunes being as they are I have been contempulating the purchase of a boxster instead. I have researched the car extensively and I confess that I am somewhat concerned about reliability issues with the car. I do like the Honda S2000 as well and have driven many examples of each car. I cannot decide on either direction. Could perhaps the good people of this forum be kind enough to offer their profound words of wisdom, assurance etc. It would be most appreciated. By the way I have looked into extended warranties, PPI etc.

Cheers,

dale

Someone else asked but I never saw the answer if it was there. If you're looking at a new Boxster I would not be concerned about reliability. You'll get the 4 yr 50k mile warranty as well. As I understand the issues the RMS could be an issue up through the 986. I believe the seal has since been redesigned? Aside from that if you're buying used it's anybody's guess what issues the car may ultimately have and they are expensive to fix and maintain.. I've got an '06 987S and it's got more than enough power and handles like an absolute dream. I really could have gotten anything up to the 997C4 and they're each a work of art and stellar in their own right but the 987S was the one that melted my butter and frankly the extra $40k in my pocket had to help put the smile on my face. There's no consensus on anything in the Porsche world. They're just a few people who do most of the posting thereby creating their own consensus.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:27 AM   #36

lets get a few things straight here..............

UNDER POWERED.........for the street or the track! i drive mine on the street
and it's amazing, and not sure that i could use another 100h.p.

HANDLING.....for the street or the track! i drive mine on the street and i lowered
it, and it's amazing.

RMS........i havent driven a car that doesnt have somthing wrong with it. you can go buy the s2000 but guess what the odds of it leaking oil probably just as great.

REALIABILITY......i drive pretty dam hard, and can't beleive i still have an engine.

LOVE FOR THE CAR...........i wouldnt sell it and if i had to trade it in, i don't think anything compares. the only thing that could compare is another $100,000, which would put my ass in a used ferrari or turbo.

TO THE JACKASSES THAT CONTINUE TO HATE ON PEOPLE IN HERE.......keep the critisisim to a low, it has nothing to do with the boxster. i bought a blue car, you have a green car, we all have different tastes, and perceptions of what is good or bad.

I LOVE MY BOXSTER! OHH N IT DRIVES GREAT IN THE SNOWWWWWW. FIRST WINTER DRIVING IT IN SNOW AND I LOVE IT. WARM WINTER HERE, BUT I DID GET TO DRIVE IN SNOW AND IT WAS GREAT. THE CAR HAS BEEN STORED IN THE PAST WINTERS, BUT MAYBE NEVER AGAIN.

SEEEEEYOU AND YOU
986Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:36 PM   #37

Smile

Guys, lets tone down the upset here. I would start by asking that you guys always keep in mind that most of what we chat about here is subjective and opinion. We all have a lot to offer and lets keep the lines of communication open.

If you hold it as that and only that, it is a start.

Also, no name calling, that is childish whenever it ocurrs.

Thanks and peace my friends!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:46 PM   #38

I come in peace, Bruce

*from Coneheads the movie
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #39

Quote:
My dream car has always been a porsche. 911 to be exact but financial fortunes being as they are I have been contempulating the purchase of a boxster instead. I have researched the car extensively and I confess that I am somewhat concerned about reliability issues with the car. I do like the Honda S2000 as well and have driven many examples of each car. I cannot decide on either direction. Could perhaps the good people of this forum be kind enough to offer their profound words of wisdom, assurance etc. It would be most appreciated. By the way I have looked into extended warranties, PPI etc.

Cheers,

dale
1) What 911 version were you looking for. I ask only because depending on the type, the Boxster may not be the correct substitute.

I drove both a 914 and aircooled 911 on and off for about 18 years and well, the Boxster is a completely different car. From the luxuries available (like Ac, heat, power top, 18" wheels etc) to its performance to how it is built. I moved into my Boxster after my 911 and completely enjoy it. I love the sound. I love its power (and its only a 2.7l 217hp version). I love the direct shifting. I love the direct turn in response.

But. It is not a 911. Its that simple. Depending on the 911 of your dream, you may find it underpowered and lacking in interior room. You may find it "too modern" or, if a 997 was your goal, not modern enough.

While it may raise some ire, I did NOT find MMBoxster's comments wrong, when you consider how many folks out here have enjoyed their cars, but want even more performance. More power. More braking. Stiffer suspensions. Bigger wheels. All of that is fine as well.

That said, a Boxster is a great starting point.

Before I bought my boxster i thought I could fill my porsche fix with a 924/944/968 series car. I drove samples of each. Each one got better, but to me, they just didn't feel like a Porsche. They were fine "cars" but not what I wanted.

I would encourage you to test drive as many samples as possible. 2.5l tips, 3.2l 6speeds etc. Get a feel for the range of performance these cars offer. THEN, go find the right one for you.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #40

Wife and I recently relocated to Dallas from Knoxville, TN. Trying to get used to the flat country!

One forum member who goes by MikenOhio (I hope I got the spelling right on that) just bought his second boxster this last year. His first boxster was bought new in 2000 and he drove it hard on the track 4x a year and it was his daily driver. He owned it for 5 years and said he only did oil changes on the car and never had a single problem with it.

He was so impressed with the reliability that he bought an 2006 and has been enjoying that car too (evidently so much that he's not posting much here!).

I think there are many Boxster owners who drive their cars and enjoy them and find them to be as reliable as other cars. Forums like this will always have a lot of chatter about repairs because forum are great for that... owners helping owners solve problems.

Where do you live in Texas anyway? You never posted that.[/QUOTE]

richmond058 is offline   Reply With Quote