Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
Ray

Unhappy Tail Foglight Problem

Background:
99' 986 17k miles, 2nd owner.

Problem:
I noticed my right rear tail foglight was not working. I opened the light bay and discovered there was no bulb. I put in a new bulb, still no light. If you look at the light chasis you will notice that the circuits are exposed so I tested for voltage across where the rear fog lamp is ... no go. I then followed the curcuit to the brown wire and gray/white on the plug and again tested for voltage ... again no go. The other lights all work. Where to look next???

And yes, the fog lights were on

Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:04 AM   #2

Only the left bulb is supposed to work.

The right side has a socket for a bulb and a wire to the socket, but there is no power to the socket.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:08 AM   #3

Hi,

The Rear Fog Lamp is to alert Drivers approaching from the rear in low-visibility conditions. If the Car had two Rear Fog Lamps, they could be mistaken for Brake Lights.

The Light is located on the Left side to tell the Driver behind you which side to pass you on so they don't go into the ditch/shoulder. On RHD Cars, this light is located on the Right side. This is why Porsche has a socket on each side, to accomodate both the LHD and the RHD markets with a single piece. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:16 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
or u can make them reallllly bright on both sides, and if soemone is driving behind u with their high beams on u can blind them as well
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
or u can make them reallllly bright on both sides, and if soemone is driving behind u with their high beams on u can blind them as well
Hi,

Yea, that's a great idea... Blind the guy who's following you... Not too smart... j/k

Old 01-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
This is awesome information! I thought I had one bulb out. I love this board.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:26 AM   #7
Ray

Many thanks guys ... I guess we're not European drivers. Duh! Makes sense, that's for sure. (Try explaining to the cops though, lol).
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
Many thanks guys ... I guess we're not European drivers. Duh! Makes sense, that's for sure. (Try explaining to the cops though, lol).
I bet the cops know about this feature on some cars...and appreciate the safe driver/driving.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Yea, that's a great idea... Blind the guy who's following you... Not too smart... j/k

I have both working on mine and it doesn't blind anyone from behind. It carries the same wattage as the brake lamps and the red cover on the lens is the same as the brake lights too. Evidently a previous owner wired it up (which is as easy as soldering a simple two strand wire from the driver's side to the passenger side and tucking it under the carpet.

Like DJLomas said, I have indeed used my double-fog lamps in the rear to remind people not to ride my bumper.

It's especially good at night when you're driving and you have the cruise control on. You don't have to tap your brakes to warn the tailgater and reset your cruise control.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I have both working on mine and it doesn't blind anyone from behind. It carries the same wattage as the brake lamps and the red cover on the lens is the same as the brake lights too. Evidently a previous owner wired it up (which is as easy as soldering a simple two strand wire from the driver's side to the passenger side and tucking it under the carpet.

Like DJLomas said, I have indeed used my double-fog lamps in the rear to remind people not to ride my bumper.

It's especially good at night when you're driving and you have the cruise control on. You don't have to tap your brakes to warn the tailgater and reset your cruise control.
Hi,

You could always try a set of these...

Old 01-10-2007, 10:03 AM   #11

Naw, I got those same mudflaps on my pickup and even though Yosemite Sam has his guns ablazin' people still tailgate me from time to time. It's only after I slow down a bit and git up next to 'em and show 'em my sawed off shotgun that they come to their senses and back off for real.

The double fog lights really add that element of surprise... here we are on the freeway at night and I light them up and leave them on... the tailgater thinks I am braking hard and well, he comes to a screeching halt. Much more effective than a tap on the brakes.

Next mod will be fore and aft rocket launchers. I'll use the front ones for slowpokes who are clogging up the fast lane and the rear ones for tailgaters (not when I am the one clogging up the fast lane, but when someone just wants to be close to the Porsche.)

Also, if you use that single fog lamp feature, everyone will come up to you in parking lots and tell you that you have a parking lamp out and get it fixed "that being such a nice sports car and all." If I just had the one I'd never use it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #12

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Since fog isnt an issue here in So. California, i think ill disable the rear foglight and wire the socket to be a parking light so at nite, the entire red section of my taillights are lit... no more gap in the middle. If anyone is interested in doing this, i might take pictures and do a write-up.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:09 AM   #13

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
well the point is not that they will blind anyone, but that they will make it looke like you are braking because they are brighter than the bulbs next to them when you put your lights on, so people may mistake you for braking when you really are not.
i never really put that light on (well i did once) so no worries with the cops.

and Jim, you know how some idiot is always behind with his/her brights on and on a cellphone, flashing those might upset her/him and they will wanna blind you with their high beams, they will go to turn them on and figure out that they are already on and turn them off hopefully (just a theory )
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:33 AM   #14

Randall, I know you're joking, but I actually used the aft rocket launch on a particularly sticky tailgater once, back when I was much younger and foolish enough to do it. I will say it was very effective - they backed way off.

A small modified Estes model rocket, mounted in a Plymouth station wagon, back when they had the electric retractable rear windows... which made a great launch bay door.

Only problem was driving straight afterwards, while laughing ourselves silly and trying to see out from inside the smoke filled car...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Next mod will be fore and aft rocket launchers. I'll use the front ones for slowpokes who are clogging up the fast lane and the rear ones for tailgaters (not when I am the one clogging up the fast lane, but when someone just wants to be close to the Porsche.)