Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 08:12 AM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rosemead, CA
Posts: 216
Help please!

The battery of my car keys had enough juice for me to lock it this morning but now the batteries are dead. I haven't tried it yet but will I be able to start my car by just unlocking the car with the key? There's a light that's blinking in the upper middle part of the dash and I'm not sure if this is an alarm system or what.

__________________
2001 Lapis Blue Boxster
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...asa/ebcomp.jpg
jmabasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:23 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 38
I'm able to unlock mine and make it run with the valet key (which has no electonic devices) so there's no reason it shouldn't work. Make your first trip to Kraggen to get that new battery!
__________________
Bobby
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...4/CIMG4210.jpg
Triple black '02
Tinted ambers
18inch Turbo Twists
British Flag!
johnsonrj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:52 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: texas
Posts: 131
yes, the flashing light is the alarm. once you open the door manually with the key, you have 10 seconds to start the car or the alarm will sound. if alarm sounds, just start the car and it will stop. it sounds like your key battery contact is weak or faulty. some people cut "squares" of ziplock plastic and place several "layers" of plastic inside the key head to improve battery contact. give it a try. anyway, your key can still manually open the door and start the car. new key head at dealer is expensive and requires programming (around $200 or so total).
porschedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rosemead, CA
Posts: 216
Thanks to the advice everyones given so far. I just came from the dealer and got a couple of batteries. The light on the key flashes now but it wont lock or unlock the car. I tried other suggestions like putting the key into the ignition but not starting it, taking out the key and pressing the lock/unlock button within a few seconds but nothing. Is there any other way I can get the keyless entry to work or am I stuck now with just locking/unlocking the car manually?
__________________
2001 Lapis Blue Boxster
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...asa/ebcomp.jpg
jmabasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabasa
Thanks to the advice everyones given so far. I just came from the dealer and got a couple of batteries. The light on the key flashes now but it wont lock or unlock the car. I tried other suggestions like putting the key into the ignition but not starting it, taking out the key and pressing the lock/unlock button within a few seconds but nothing. Is there any other way I can get the keyless entry to work or am I stuck now with just locking/unlocking the car manually?
Hi,

I suspect that you may need to get the Dealer involved. The Alarm/Immobilizer is adjusted, programmed by the PST2 Computer at the Dealer. They can tell you what's going on.

But first, does your alarm work when you arm it manually? If not, there is a 10A ATC Fuse in the Immobilizer Module under the Driver Seat. Be sure this fuse isn't blown.

Another possibility is that the Alarm went into Sleep mode (after 120 Hrs. of non-use, the module stops listening for the key as a battery saving feature). Your Key Fob battery may have died and the car went into Sleep Mode. If you change the battery it still will not work until you once open the Lock manually and then switch on the Ignition and/or Start the car. Try that and see if it doesn't correct your problem. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rosemead, CA
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I suspect that you may need to get the Dealer involved. The Alarm/Immobilizer is adjusted, programmed by the PST2 Computer at the Dealer. They can tell you what's going on.

But first, does your alarm work when you arm it manually? If not, there is a 10A ATC Fuse in the Immobilizer Module under the Driver Seat. Be sure this fuse isn't blown.

Another possibility is that the Alarm went into Sleep mode (after 120 Hrs. of non-use, the module stops listening for the key as a battery saving feature). Your Key Fob battery may have died and the car went into Sleep Mode. If you change the battery it still will not work until you once open the Lock manually and then switch on the Ignition and/or Start the car. Try that and see if it doesn't correct your problem. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Hi Jim! The alarm will arm manually with the key. And the battery just died this morning so I doubt it went to sleep mode. I just started the car now and drove it around but the remote still wont work. Any other ideas how to make it work? Thanks!
__________________
2001 Lapis Blue Boxster
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...asa/ebcomp.jpg
jmabasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:12 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabasa
Hi Jim! The alarm will arm manually with the key. And the battery just died this morning so I doubt it went to sleep mode. I just started the car now and drove it around but the remote still wont work. Any other ideas how to make it work? Thanks!
Hi,

Get Thee to the Dealer... sorry...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rosemead, CA
Posts: 216
The dealer said that once the battery goes dead, the remote of the key will no longer be of any use because the programming in the key will be erased and that the only option is to buy a new key and have it programmed. Any truth to this?
__________________
2001 Lapis Blue Boxster
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...asa/ebcomp.jpg
jmabasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:49 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Posts: 846
My goodness.. you might have to lock and unlock the car with the actual key and not the remote? Take a day off from work due to all the stress that is sure to build up Just joking.

As mentioned, the key fob will not interfere with the key actually starting the car. As for any reprogramming of the fob once a new battery has been installed, sorry I can't help. Maybe hit the "ctl"+"alt"+"del" keys
__________________
1976 914 2.0
2000 Boxster 2.7 (sold)
1978 911 SC (sold)
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:28 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: California
Posts: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabasa
The dealer said that once the battery goes dead, the remote of the key will no longer be of any use because the programming in the key will be erased and that the only option is to buy a new key and have it programmed. Any truth to this?
I don't believe you would need to buy a new key also. if they can program a brand new (and expensive - $200) key to work with your current car alarm then they must be able to re-program the old one!
__________________
Bobby
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2...4/CIMG4210.jpg
Triple black '02
Tinted ambers
18inch Turbo Twists
British Flag!
johnsonrj74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Rosemead, CA
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonrj74
I don't believe you would need to buy a new key also. if they can program a brand new (and expensive - $200) key to work with your current car alarm then they must be able to re-program the old one!
They did say that to be able to reprogram the old one, you would have to have the code that came with the key. Not sure if I can still find that one though. I got a quote from the dealer quoting me over 300 bucks for the new key plus programming it. Any suggestions where I might be able to get it cheaper?
__________________
2001 Lapis Blue Boxster
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...asa/ebcomp.jpg
jmabasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:46 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Kingwood, TX
Posts: 453
Send a message via AIM to Travis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmabasa
The dealer said that once the battery goes dead, the remote of the key will no longer be of any use because the programming in the key will be erased and that the only option is to buy a new key and have it programmed. Any truth to this?
I took mine out to replace to find I had gotten the wrong battery, left it out and went to the store a few hours later to pick one up. I had no issues when I put the new one back in.

Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page